Double DIN Stereo Head Unit Install in a 66 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Double DIN Stereo Head Unit Install in a 66

So the 66 coupe I acquired for my wife recently had a previous owner at some point that wanted a new stereo. That person apparently only had a pair of dull tin snips in their tool box. They ripped the original hole in the dash and folded the metal back behind it. This person also wanted speakers in the front doors, so they hacked 5Ē diameter holes in the lower corners of each door. And if you are familiar with what size speakers fit in the lower doors, you know that a 5Ē hole will extend about an inch into the door panel. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me!

Since I had no desire to go back to a dual knob stereo, and welding would be required anyway to do a standard single DIN head unit, I figured Iíd go all out and do a double DIN touchscreen! The door speaker holes required me to weld in patch panels for 4Ēx6Ē speakers, with the hopes that the speaker grills would hide the welds and patches.

I finally got around to attacking it this weekend and itís coming along nicely. See two pictures of what I started with. I will post more pics as I make more progress. The interior is being overhauled completely, so itís gonna take me some time to make it all pretty again. In the mean time you can see what all is involved in case you were pondering the same project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E03C7173-0203-41FB-BD9F-08C503838868_1519098034827.jpg (15.6 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 64D34845-901E-4377-9FF8-D763D27039EE_1519098066094.jpg (17.1 KB, 246 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 PM

Garage
Take a look at what @Ponyboy has going on a very clean version of the areas of your concearn
Ponyboy likes this.

Brad
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM

A double den? I didn’t even know those things were still around, as cassette tapes have been obsolete for quite some time now.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Check out Revology Mustangs to get a good idea of what a double din will look like in a 66.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Garage
^^ you'll notice they used a '65 dash pad for clearance... I also like the way they built up the dash behind the radio for a flat surface- very clean

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Dimples

Garage
I want to like that Revology solution, but I donít. Just doesnít seem to fit.

That console looks nice though.
gt350sr, PonyandTrap and Fishfreq like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
Check out Revology Mustangs to get a good idea of what a double din will look like in a 66.
Thatís the one I liked and am doing something very similar. I didnít know the 65 dash pad was different... hmmm, might have to ponder that idea. The 66 dash pad fits, albeit tightly, but it does fit. I think the interior color makes a huge difference on how that head unit looks installed, changes how much attention is drawn to it.

Attached is a pic of the hole with the head unit just sitting in there. You can see the lack of paint on the dash, to the right of the stereo, thatís how far the dash was bent back! I had to fold it back and flatten it back out! Yeesh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FDF5E984-5DDA-4C82-B35D-E3E32AA26E09_1519137065927.jpg (13.0 KB, 171 views)

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I want to like that Revology solution, but I donít. Just doesnít seem to fit.

That console looks nice though.
I agree- it's quality work, but for it to fit right and look more at home, the car needs to be a full tilt modified. This one still has too much of a vintage feel to it. It would look more appropriate in a car built by either 4ocious or the Ring Bros....
crzycrkr and BlakeTX like this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoxide View Post
I think the interior color makes a huge difference on how that head unit looks installed, changes how much attention is drawn to it.
Thatís a really good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
It would look more appropriate in a car built by either 4ocious or the Ring Bros....
LOL! Love it.

The anvil of reality.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Man. I HATE it. I must be getting old.

Seriously though...here's what I see in my crystal ball. 20-years from now, some newb is going to drop into the VIrtual Mustang Forhaha (OR whatever they call it) and bitch about the ENORMOUS hole someone cut into the car's dash he just bought to mount a non-working touch screen.

When faced with the same issue....I welded in a patch and put my dash back to original. Then I mounted a couple of small gauges (temp and oil pressure) in a blockoff plate in the factory hole. Then I mounted my stereo in the glove box and bought some aftermarket kicks for speakers.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
People that want all that modern crap...like touch screens and push button ignitions should just buy a new 2018 mustang in my opinion..

Ok, I've said my 2 cents worth...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Dang! OK. I kinda like touchscreens myself. I've gotten pretty fond of the one I put in SWMBO's Expedition. DVD, GPS, and apps like Slacker, Waze, and Pandora are great on long trips. My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.

I think I'll stick with single DIN's myself. Some of those flip out screen ones are really tempting me lately.
Fastang68 likes this.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.
Agreed on all points. This definitely has potential.

The anvil of reality.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Agreed on all points. This definitely has potential.
That's where I am at as well. One downside on my install is that my black dash is going to be going to the medium blue color, so it will blend in better than the creamy white dash, but not quite as well as the black. The other thing I have going for me is that I have the standard interior; the glove box and gauge cluster are your standard "camera black" type finishes. As with any cosmetic modification, its all about getting things to look like they belong there.

Now if that Revology Mustang painted the stereo bezel to match the dash color it might not look so out of place...

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Dang! OK. I kinda like touchscreens myself. I've gotten pretty fond of the one I put in SWMBO's Expedition. DVD, GPS, and apps like Slacker, Waze, and Pandora are great on long trips. My issue with the revology one would be that the interior's all shiny paint, chrome, and woodgrain and then there's this big black plastic thing. As new tech in old tech it's never really going to blend but I can see one looking a LOT better in a black dash. There's a couple I've seen in consoles that look pretty slick.

I think I'll stick with single DIN's myself. Some of those flip out screen ones are really tempting me lately.
Like you, I've got a single DIN receiver in mine. The hole for the factory radio was pretty butchered up so I figured what the heck. I've also looked at the flip out screens, but they all flip up and the dash pad on the 65 gets in the way so it will never be fully flat and always facing down.

I've also thought of going double-din and will bookmark this to see the direction and issues you faced. Since my dash is already black it might be as out of place as the Revology one. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Installed AC vents - passenger.jpg (95.2 KB, 115 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page