390 Tri Power - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

390 Tri Power

Scored a 6V set up for the 390 thatís going in the 67 S code convert Iím getting ready to restore. Itís the Galaxie set up with the tiered carb pads. Anyone running one of these? Any issues I should know about that would be helpful?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46B386F0-8D61-40F8-8452-C7B2FB98FD19.jpg (20.3 KB, 86 views)

Troy Arave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Garage
Nice find, and those sure look sweet under the hood. The user "sixtysevenGTconv" has one on his convertible, and it was the June Ride of the Month here on VMF: https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/r...vengtconv.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguytroy View Post
Scored a 6V set up for the 390 thatís going in the 67 S code convert Iím getting ready to restore. Itís the Galaxie set up with the tiered carb pads. Anyone running one of these? Any issues I should know about that would be helpful?
They run real well with just a good rebuild. Look for worn shafts in the carbs. Recommend blocking the exhaust crossover, Mr Gasket gaskets should do so, you'll need the taller low riser port gasket. All heads will work, but some are better than others

If you are running a 67, it'll bolt to a C7AE-A head fine, but there will be some port mismatch. Doesn't really hurt anything, but the C7AE-A and C8AE-H are pretty much corks to even the mildest FE. If you are running an early head or a C6AE-R, they match better, and the heads flow a bit better.

Once you get it in the car, anything you can do to increase plenum volume helps power. Based on air cleaner, buying or making some insulating spacers will help the top end a bit.

Of course, make sure you are getting full throttle using your foot, sometimes Mustang linkage can be fussy and you may need to work your design to get full throw

Should be fun!

70 Sportsroof, 427 FE, 489 cid, 10.7:1, Erson valvetrain, KC ported Edelbrock heads, modified Massflo EFI, TKO-600, 31 spline 4.10, A/C.
71 F100 4x4 shortbed 445 FE, ported iron heads, ported RPM intake, Bullet custom solids, 1000 Holley
13 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 6.7 diesel

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM

It's a setup that's a blast to drive.
I had my Ford aluminum intake powder coated, holds up to any gas leaks in time.
Great you got the Galaxie setup, because the T-Bird setup carbs diff height, won't work. These were a "dealer option".
At work now, from home I can post some tri-power info links.
My orig carbs, bowls warped, junk. So found Carl's Ford Power Parts had exclusive deal with Holley and sells re-engineered carbs. Three 300 CFM's IIRC.
Did you get the unique air cleaner & all linkage?
Big note ... since this setup doesn't support any "ported vacuum" for the dist, I had to find the correct 390 dual point mechanical advance dist.
For the 2nd oil fill tube on this intake which I didn't like, I had my engine builder press a freeze plug into tube opening.
Also to fit a t-stat into the large opening, I made an aluminum plate to hold t-stat in the housing. Often these intakes used a puke tank, is why larger opening.

I had engine builder select a mild Comp Cam to match this set up. He used a "Desk Top Dyno" program.
Once built, I had the engine run on a dyno 1st, then did chassis dyno to pick correct jets for carbs.
Got my linkage and large vacuum tree for power disc brake hose at Carlisle Ford Nationals.
I did use electric choke on center carb.
I am using Edlebrock Performer RPM heads.
Have fun. Mines been running 13 yrs.
Get on it to much, note you'll have to change your oil a bit more often. You dump a lot of fuel when on it. Normal driving on just one center 300 cfm carb is just fine too.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>

Last edited by sixtysevenGTconv; 07-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenGTconv View Post
It's a setup that's a blast to drive.
I had my Ford aluminum intake powder coated, holds up to any gas leaks in time.
Great you got the Galaxie setup, because the T-Bird setup carbs diff height, won't work. These were a "dealer option".
At work now, from home I can post some tri-power info links.
My orig carbs, bowls warped, junk. So found Carl's Ford Power Parts had exclusive deal with Holley and sells re-engineered carbs. Three 300 CFM's IIRC.
Did you get the unique air cleaner & all linkage?
Big note ... since this setup doesn't support any "ported vacuum" for the dist, I had to find the correct 390 dual point mechanical advance dist.
For the 2nd oil fill tube on this intake which I didn't like, I had my engine builder press a freeze plug into tube opening.
Also to fit a t-stat into the large opening, I made an aluminum plate to hold t-stat in the housing. Often these intakes used a puke tank, is why larger opening.

I had engine builder select a mild Comp Cam to match this set up. He used a "Desk Top Dyno" program.
Once built, I had the engine run on a dyno 1st, then did chassis dyno to pick correct jets for carbs.
Got my linkage and large vacuum tree for power disc brake hose at Carlisle Ford Nationals.
I did use electric choke on center carb.
I am using Edlebrock Performer RPM heads.
Have fun. Mines been running 13 yrs.
Get on it to much, note you'll have to change your oil a bit more often. You dump a lot of fuel when on it. Normal driving on just one center 300 cfm carb is just fine too.
Linkage is all there and all hooked up. Fuel rail is there. Carbs were gone through recently according to the guy I got the set up from and they do look fresh. Itíll be a while before I get to run it. The car and engine are all torn apart.

Troy Arave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Linkage is all there and all hooked up. Fuel rail is there. Carbs were gone through recently according to the guy I got the set up from and they do look fresh. Itíll be a while before I get to run it. The car and engine are all torn apart.
Good that Engine apart. If you're gonna keep tri-power on engine, this is the time to select a cam that will work with that setup..

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Good that Engine apart. If you're gonna keep tri-power on engine, this is the time to select a cam that will work with that setup..
I know this thread is a bit old but I was just wondering what distributor I should look for? I was just reading the thread again and I must not have noticed the part about the no vacuum. And curious what cam you went with. Gathering parts as always. Never ending but I like hunting for stuff.

Troy Arave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I know this thread is a bit old but I was just wondering what distributor I should look for? I was just reading the thread again and I must not have noticed the part about the no vacuum. And curious what cam you went with. Gathering parts as always. Never ending but I like hunting for stuff.
Carguytroy, that is a nice setup. You will pass everything except the gas station in that beauty. As far as distributor I’d look into the MSD billet with a black cap. I don’t have experience with the tri power but that is a nice distributor. Maybe someone else will chime in.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Hi, let me look tonight thru my Ford casting book if I can't read #'s off my dist. as well as my cam card.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, looked thru my Ford Castings book for 60's cars.
Since numbers on my dist are on the back can't read, here's what I believe I used: C2SF-12127-B.

It's a dual point mechanical advance dist for tri-power. See my attachment.
As for cam, working with my engine builder we used a Comp Cam, mild lift, think 272, can't find my cam card at moment. You don't want a wild cam or it'll just dump to much gas into engine, not good.

As for highway mileage, got ~ 16 mpg just cruzing from PA - NH.
But city, yea not great, I go out to local car show and back and use ~ 1/4 tank.
But I didn't want a "great gas mileage car".
I wanted one with a real "WOW" factor. blast to drive.

Also note, you have two oil fill spots, one regular one on valve cover, 2nd now on tri-power intake. I had my builder put a freeze plug in filler hole on intake, looks clean. No two filler spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tri Power dist.jpg (330.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by sixtysevenGTconv; 06-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM

I believe I ran into a VMF member at this year's Fabulous Fords Forever at Anaheim Stadium and he was running a tri-power setup on his 390. If he sees this, perhaps he can chime in. He liked it and had no complaints.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Ok, looked thru my Ford Castings book for 60's cars.
Since numbers on my dist are on the back can't read, here's what I believe I used: C2SF-12127-B.

It's a dual point mechanical advance dist for tri-power. See my attachment.
As for cam, working with my engine builder we used a Comp Cam, mild lift, think 272, can't find my cam card at moment. You don't want a wild cam or it'll just dump to much gas into engine, not good.

As for highway mileage, got ~ 16 mpg just cruzing from PA - NH.
But city, yea not great, I go out to local car show and back and use ~ 1/4 tank.
But I didn't want a "great gas mileage car".
I wanted one with a real "WOW" factor. blast to drive.

Also note, you have two oil fill spots, one regular one on valve cover, 2nd now on tri-power intake. I had my builder put a freeze plug in filler hole on intake, looks clean. No two filler spots.
Thanks for the info. Checked out eBay for a distributor. Nothing as of yet. Probably gonna take a while to dig one up but Iím not in a hurry. Hunting for parts is fun to me.

Troy Arave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in