Front Suspension Issues - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2nd 66
  • 1 Post By Eitelbj

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Front Suspension Issues

Hello All,
I have a 66 mustang that I recently swapped a 5.0L into and did a complete suspension upgrade. Upon aligning the car, it was found that we had clearance, camber, and caster. The front passenger side of the car looks perfect, and the caster is +3 caster and -1/4 degree camber. This is the ideal setup that i want. However on the driver side front, the caster was 0 and camber was -2 1/4 ish. I have a camber kit in this car so we changed the camber plates to fix the camber issue, and then adjusted the upper control arm so it could have the appropriate caster. I put it all back together, and camber and caster is good on both sides, but the driver side tire, (the one I did all the adjusting and changing) is farther out, or closer to the fender than the passenger side. Along with that, the passenger side wheel is 1/2 inch farther back than the driver side front. We had to change up the settings on the driver side front due to the tire hitting the front of the fender as well as caster and camber issues. I measures the fenders and they seem to be the same. But the passenger side is father in the fender, and farther back. And note this tire is fitting perfectly. And measurements like the caster and camber are good passenger side front. Having a lot of trouble with this. Anyone who could realize something wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Think We figured it out. The tire is not farther back. Bad measurement. The caster and camber is good, but the front right fender is rolled and that’s why that tire is farther in. The rolling pushed that fender out so I’m going to roll the other fender and see what it looks like.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Never mind, we measured the fenders and they are perfectly the same distant from the centerline. The fenders are the same despite one of them is rolled. Any ideas would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 PM

Look at the gap of the offending fender, between the fender and the door. See if the gap is straight from top to bottom and if equal to the other side.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Garage
The difference may be the way the UCA is positioned on it's shaft
Eitelbj likes this.

Brad
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Garage
Also check your front strut rods to be sure one isnít bent. My bet is on the non-centered upper control arm shaft as 2nd 66 said.
2nd 66 likes this.

James

66 Coupe Project 289
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Turns out the wheelbase is the same side to side. Must have gotten a bad measurement. The driver side tire still sticks out 1/4 inch more but with some reading I find that that is very common.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with ideas!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Garage
Back in the day production tolerance was something like an 1/8 to 1/4 inch on some stuff. These where not precision built

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page