Global West Del-a-lum leafspring bushings loose in the frame!? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Global West Del-a-lum leafspring bushings loose in the frame!?

Hello,

I just got done installing Global West’s Del-a-lum Leafspring Bushing kit on my ‘68. It was a nightmare job as both of my front eye bolts were completely frozen to the original bushing sleeve. Anyway, the rear bushing that presses into the frame rail slid in easily by hand. My understanding is that these are supposed to be an interference fit, and mine have a tiny bit of slop. I tried to discern from the Internet whether or not this is acceptable...the closest I could get is that the bushings “may” need to be pulled into the frame with an install tool (threaded rod), so maybe they don’t always!?

I called Global West...I’m not sure if it’s just my luck, but I can’t ever seem to get a timely response from those guys, so while I’m waiting I figured I would post up here.

Also, while we’re on the subject, the instructions recommend a “water resistant” grease, and go on to say that most synthetics are water resistant. The Internet seems to contend that synthetic grease is a must. I keep Lucas Red n’ Tacky in my gun, which is a water resistant moly based grease. Is this acceptable for the Del-a-lum stuff?

Thanks, as always...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1487DA2-110B-4DCD-BFEE-CC1D4C18D599.jpg (459.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7E4911AC-FD6A-429E-B088-AB460FDCEBBD.jpg (355.6 KB, 13 views)

ďAnything worth doing, is worth doing right...Ē

-H.S.T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM

del alum is delrin and aluminum. The moly based is not necessarily synthetic, the lucas stuff is lithium based and not synthetic. It will specifically say Synthetic on the tube if it is. I've got a tube of castrols synthetic (PYROPLEX PROTECTION ES)in my second gun for applications that require it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I definitely had to pull mine in with a tool. I’d suspect you will hear and feel a vibration if they are loose in the frame.

You might want to remove them and measure the OD’s with some calipers. Call John at ORP and see if he has some on the shelf he can compare for you.

Regards,
Patrick

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
del alum is delrin and aluminum. The moly based is not necessarily synthetic, the lucas stuff is lithium based and not synthetic. It will specifically say Synthetic on the tube if it is. I've got a tube of castrols synthetic (PYROPLEX PROTECTION ES)in my second gun for applications that require it.
Right, Iím saying itís not synthetic, itís Moly. The directions for these bushings just say to use water resistant grease, then they suggest that most synthetics ARE water resistant. Nowhere does it say you have to run synthetic grease, so Iím wondering if the Lucas grease will work.

-H.S.T.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
I definitely had to pull mine in with a tool. Iíd suspect you will hear and feel a vibration if they are loose in the frame.

You might want to remove them and measure the ODís with some calipers. Call John at ORP and see if he has some on the shelf he can compare for you.
Yeah, I suppose thatís what Iím worried about. I wouldnít call them loose, but theyíre definitely not tight. Iíd be hesitant to bug a vendor that I didnít buy them from for measurements. I just wish Global West was better about getting back to customers. Last time took weeks...

-H.S.T.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I wouldnít think twice about calling John. He sells the GW parts and offers excellent customer service regardless of a sell. He will also understand your lack of feedback from GW and help where he can.
Caper50 likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Removing eye bolts can be a challenge. On my '66, the nuts came off easy enough, but the bolt wouldn't budge. I tried a hammer. Then soaked them with PB Blaster overnight. Then soaked them with PB Blaster for several nights. Then I tried heating them. Then I tried an air hammer. Then I tried a sawzall. That one finally worked.
cjhudson87 likes this.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stock

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
Removing eye bolts can be a challenge. On my '66, the nuts came off easy enough, but the bolt wouldn't budge. I tried a hammer. Then soaked them with PB Blaster overnight. Then soaked them with PB Blaster for several nights. Then I tried heating them. Then I tried an air hammer. Then I tried a sawzall. That one finally worked.
I had to end up using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
cjhudson87 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, so I just called and called until I got through. Theyíre having trouble with their phones today, so perhaps I was being harsh with my earlier comments.

Scott at Global West recommended installing two roll pins per bushing (one per side) to keep them from rotating; that seems to be the most important factor.

Scott also said that the primary concern with grease selection is water resistance (and the greaseís wash out properties). He said that if you were in a completely dry environment it wouldnít matter what type of grease you ran, in terms of a petroleum base attacking the delrin, etc. He wasnít familiar with Lucas Red ní Tacky being a water resistant grease, but thatís how they advertise it, and as thatís whatís in every other bushing day balljoint on my car, thatís what Iím going to continue to run.

Hope this thread helps somebody out who finds themselves in a similar circumstance.

Thanks!

-H.S.T.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fraley View Post
I had to end up using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That was one of the most awful jobs Iíve ever done on a car. I similarly tried absolutely everything I could think of before resorting to what I consider to be borderline butchery, and unfortunately all of those preliminary steps really just amounted to an incredible waste of time and energy. In the end, I dissected the spring and bushing very carefully with a cut-off wheel so that I could spread the steel sleeve with a chisel tip on an air hammer, and even after all of that I still had to further soak the sleeve with penetrant and press the bolt through with a giant C-clamp. WHAT - A - NIGHTMARE It literally took me an entire day...

-H.S.T.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhudson87 View Post
Ok, so I just called and called until I got through. Theyíre having trouble with their phones today, so perhaps I was being harsh with my earlier comments.

Scott at Global West recommended installing two roll pins per bushing (one per side) to keep them from rotating; that seems to be the most important factor.

Scott also said that the primary concern with grease selection is water resistance (and the greaseís wash out properties). He said that if you were in a completely dry environment it wouldnít matter what type of grease you ran, in terms of a petroleum base attacking the delrin, etc. He wasnít familiar with Lucas Red ní Tacky being a water resistant grease, but thatís how they advertise it, and as thatís whatís in every other bushing day balljoint on my car, thatís what Iím going to continue to run.

Hope this thread helps somebody out who finds themselves in a similar circumstance.

Thanks!
Didn't see your post until now.
It's pretty random as far as the fit of the frame bushings go. Both my '66 and '68
had to have the frame bushings secured with roll pins.
I did at least 30 cars back in the day that didn't require anything other than
pulling them them in place (threaded rod and washers) and securing with some
blue lock-tite...... they were that tight.

The hot ticket for grease with the del-a-lums was either NEO Z-12 or Mobil One red.
Performance-wise, basically the same results.....
You want something that resists water wash out.

https://shop.neosyntheticoil.com/Z-12-Z-12.htm
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...FYnEwAodanUCUA

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 10-15-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
That was one of the most awful jobs Iíve ever done on a car. I similarly tried absolutely everything I could think of before resorting to what I consider to be borderline butchery, and unfortunately all of those preliminary steps really just amounted to an incredible waste of time and energy. In the end, I dissected the spring and bushing very carefully with a cut-off wheel so that I could spread the steel sleeve with a chisel tip on an air hammer, and even after all of that I still had to further soak the sleeve with penetrant and press the bolt through with a giant C-clamp. WHAT - A - NIGHTMARE It literally took me an entire day...
15 minutes with the right tools.... both sides.
Sawzall and carbide grit blades.
Used to do them all the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
15 minutes with the right tools.... both sides.
Sawzall and carbide grit blades.
Used to do them all the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Well, hell! I never even knew there was such a thing...

-H.S.T.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 PM

Curiosity killed the cat.

Just exactly where do you install the roll pins? Do you drill vertically through the frame rail into the bushing, perpendicular to the bolt? Then drive the roll pins in?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Well, hell! I never even knew there was such a thing...
You find out such stuff when you're under a car making a living and
you've dulled all the regular saw blades.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page