Coyote swap roll call - Vintage Mustang Forums
 40Likes

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Coyote swap roll call

Just wanted to see how many folks have either completed or want to swap in a coyote. I figure some of the thoughts and headaches would be similar no matter what it was being transplanted to...vintage, fox body, cougar , or whatever you fancy.

Things like accessory brackets, power steering, stand alone ecu, etc. will be universal dilemmas.

If you have wanted it or have already done it, chime in and we can keep this thread going for those to come as the price comes down and the swap becomes more common.

I've started my research and will post up some of my finds as I make my list and check it twice...I know I have been naughty, but the coyote swap is so nice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 PM

I am in the process of installing a Coyote crate engine in my daughters 70 Mustang convertible. The engine is large so the shock towers are gone. Rod and Custom rack and pinion. 4r70w automatic. The car has been completely redone as a restomod. The actual work to do the swap is not that hard. Unfortunately life keeps getting in the way and I have to stop for a while and than start back at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5547.jpg (390.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6193.jpg (367.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (3).jpg (396.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (351.8 KB, 30 views)
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 AM

Coyote/6 speed planned. Currently on hold for the holidays, a new toy, and some truck maintenance. Griggs front suspension in, rear suspension fabbed and ready. Have to make new cover plates for shock towers which are mostly gone. Plan to add front brakes, finish steering system, fuel tank/lines, and measure for wheels/tires after that.

Engine/trans a little later in '19. Once I've the engine/trans, then issues with PS, brakes, AC, and all the other time/money consuming issues can be addressed. Depending on hood clearance, I may install blower on the motor. Just some of the fun of this project.
Huntingky likes this.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:36 AM

We make all the parts for the Coyote swap. We guarantee you won't have any of the headaches most have when doing the swap. We couldn't make it any easier even for a 10 year old 🙂
Huntingky and 69bosssvt like this.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

70sum...can i come live at your house? lol

Very nice convertible...add in the restomod and it will be one very cool car indeed. Love the color and the coyote.
oscarnielsen likes this.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:22 PM

In process now....step #1 research the hell out of front suspension depending on your budget. The front suspension is key to how things will fit, I'm doing AJE (still have shock towers).

Huntingky likes this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Garage
No question that Coyote engine is one awesome motor. I have a 2017 Mustang GT and love driving it. But to do all it takes to swap that motor into my 68 just doesn't seem worth it. Not only do you have to purchase a Coyote and supporting hardware, but you have to remove the shock towers and change the front suspension. Sure you would have a pretty awesome classic Mustang with rack and pinion steering. To those of you that have done this swap, was it worth it? What would this project cost in parts?
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

A lot of considerations have to be evaluated before you can determine if its worth the swap.

What are your plans for the car? Sunday driver, everyday, trailer queen, ect..

I'm planning for everyday so efi was a definite for me. I want a minimum of 400 hp.

What's in the car that you are starting with? Project car with no motor, driving 302, ect.

My last build was a 331 stroker and I was close to 5 grand with no manifold or efi on it yet. Coyote can be found around that price all the time.

Yes, lots of work on the front suspension but if you are into restomods you are probably going to be spending a bit of coin anyways.

After I got my parts together last time I realized I could have went coyote and had a cool setup and a very reliable car for nearly the same money and work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

1965 fastback coyote planned. Thinking about doing it with a 2018 forward Coyote and finding away to get the Automatic 10 Speed to come with it. I continue to waffle on whos suspension i will use between TCI, RS, Heights and so on. I also want to add a power adder and want it to be turbo but the complexity and limited space might force me down the Super Charger path.
Huntingky and 65ponycoupe like this.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Garage
Done a couple of modular cars...Terminator...Coyote... sold now...currently working on a '66 5.2L flat plane crank ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0406.jpg (484.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0692.jpg (423.4 KB, 31 views)

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:52 PM

Garage
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Garage
Mine is still in work (more like banner because of life). Using a Gen II crate coyote. Link to my build thread is in my signature. My main objective was to use as many factory parts that I considered consumables, i.e. brakes, clutch, etc., so that if I had problems down the road I could easily find parts from the dealer or parts store. For example, I wanted great brakes (highly subjective) so I used the hydroboost unit from an 03 mustang cobra, '14 GT500 mustang brembo front brakes, and 2008 Challenger SRT8 rear brakes. I even went as far to make my main front suspension crossmember removable so I could service oil pan leaks in the future and not have to remove the engine.
Huntingky and image98 like this.

Robert Icasas

Projects:

67 Cougar
Art Morrison Sport IFS
3-link Rear Suspension
Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56
Build: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...se-enough.html

Brother's 1966 Mustang Restomod
Mustang II front suspension
Torque Arm Rear Suspension
Ridetech Shockwaves
5.0 w/ Viper t56
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM

I am in process of doing Coyote swap in 65 Fastback. You can go to my build thread and check it out. Not much to update on it, vacation, charity work and deer season. Will be digging back in shortly.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html
image98 likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Nice to see all the swaps. I searched and didn't see a lot of coyote threads...be nice to have some information in one spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 AM

I am planning to do a Coyote swap on my 65 coupe as part of a pretty in-depth restomod/restore/rebuild. I already did a Coyote swap on my 1996 Mustang Cobra American Iron car. My 65 isn't unique or special other than the fact that it was my first car and I've had it since 1990.

It was originally a 289-2 bbl car, C4, Pony interior. I'm going to do a street/track build. It currently has a 255 ci - 2bbl engine, T5 trans, stock 8" rear, 2001 Bullitt rims, 245/45-17 tires, and lots of rust. It will likely be a complete disassembly and rebuild. I do a lot of road racing so it'll have a partial cage, at least.

Jimmy Bost
'96 Mustang Cobra American Iron Road Racer
'65 255ci 2-bbl Hardtop (long story)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page