Help me decide - scoop, teardrop or cowl 65 - Vintage Mustang Forums
View Poll Results: What hood? Scoop, Tear Drop or Cowl?
Keep the scoop, it ain't all that bad 10 38.46%
Teardrop hood of the 60's 13 50.00%
Cowl style raised hood 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Help me decide - scoop, teardrop or cowl 65

Hello all,

I'm not a big fan of hood scoops. I love the original body lines of the Mustang. But with higher performance engines and tall intakes, that extra clearance is sometimes needed. Here is my 65 I've owned for 30 some years. I currently have the smallest "scoop" I could fine to clear the carburetor. I see it as kind of a 66 Shelby scoop on steroids.

On one of my older mustang coupes I had a teardrop hood. These were popular with the A/FX fastbacks of the time like the early Gas Ronda and Tasca Fords. I like this option but again I think it's almost bigger than the scoop that's on there now.

Then there is the "cowl" style of raised hood. This seems to keep the flat hood line I like and raises it. But these were popular with the bow-tie guys and being true blue Ford I'm having a tuff time going that direction in my mind.

So my Mustang friends, what do you think would look the best:

1) - Keep the scoop, looks good
2) - Teardrop hood, the 60's are calling
3) - Raised Cowl style, not as bad as I think
4) - whats your idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side1A.jpg (367.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg side2A.jpg (373.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg gas1.jpg (64.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg gas2.jpg (67.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cowl1.jpg (100.1 KB, 209 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 PM

I say keep what you have, looks nice and aggressive. Is there a reason you need to change it/add more clearance or just something you're thinking about?

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 PM

If I am being honest, I don't like any of them. If i had to choose one, it would be the last cowl pic. I think the factory GT scoop is the only one that looks right on the early Mustangs. But, opinions are like....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Dimples

Garage
What setup are you running that needs so much height?

The following is unvarnished opinion:
1) What you have now isn’t bad, but it is a tad... out of place or something. Still, I kinda like it.
2) Normally I’d say teardrops are for Thunderbolts, but you’ve got a pro street thing going on that can pull it off.
3) Cowl hoods are for Chevys and foxbodies. I’m standing by that one.
4) I’ve seen a version of the 67 Shelby scoop on a 65-66 hood that is raised up quite a bit, but I’m not sure it’s tall enough to clear whatever you have goin on there.

Edit: there’s also this. The Maier “big” Shelby scoop.
https://www.maierracing.com/product/...ig-hood-scoop/

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.

Last edited by BlakeTX; 12-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

I'd install dropped motor mounts and a stock hood..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I say keep what you have, looks nice and aggressive. Is there a reason you need to change it/add more clearance or just something you're thinking about?
- The scoop does work fine and gives plenty of air to keep the engine cool while cruising. Just thinking of something a little less "aggressive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fraley View Post
I think the factory GT scoop is the only one that looks right on the early Mustangs. But, opinions are like....
- I agree with both statements here, Opinion was asked for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
What setup are you running that needs so much height?

The following is unvarnished opinion:
1) What you have now isnít bad, but it is a tad... out of place or something. Still, I kinda like it.
2) Normally Iíd say teardrops are for Thunderbolts, but youíve got a pro street thing going on that can pull it off.
3) Cowl hoods are for Chevys and foxbodies. Iím standing by that one.
4) Iíve seen a version of the 67 Shelby scoop on a 65-66 hood that is raised up quite a bit, but Iím not sure itís tall enough to clear whatever you have goin on there.
- You pretty well have summed up my feelings on all you points there. I like that Maier hood (I wished that I would have set the stang up more for handling / all around performance like the one in the picture). I used to have that same front valence on the car years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
I'd install dropped motor mounts and a stock hood..
- The stance of the car is low, the way I like it but still has a far amount of ground clearance with the custom headers a and 3" exhaust tucked up tight under it. It is doable but would take more fabrication than I would be willing to do at this time.

The setup is a 351 Cleveland with C302 Motorsport heads. This is one of my favorite Ford small blocks, but this head combination only allows one type of standard intake manifold and it sits high. I could save about an inch removing the heat separation spacer but probably not a good idea in the Florida summer. The though of going back to a stock style of cast iron head would open some possibility's (lower rise intake or a tunnel ram) IMO the engine looks darn good the way it is.... tuff options...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine aaa.jpg (361.3 KB, 19 views)
Ponyboy and Bill Fraley like this.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM

ditch the scoop its not 1985 anymore. I have a special place in my heart for teardrop hoods, I think it would look great.
Redneckgearhead likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Dimples

Garage
Any chance there is a shorter air filter element available? That top is probably doing most of the work anyway.

Also, itís not too late to set it up for handling. Youíve got room for plenty of tire in the rear and, no offense intended, but youíre due for a wheel update too.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 PM

I like what you have insofar as you need it and have the engine to justify it and it compliments the drag look of the wheels. It is a bit tall & obtrusive but as I say it matches the overall look.
For a change I would choose that taller GT350 like scoop, more subtle and fits your needs.
I also like the Cobra-Jet style scoop, if its tall enough or the '68 Shelby type hood that is available with the heat extractors.
I got my bolt-on cobra-jet from here. RaceComposites - Universal Fiberglass Hood Scoops
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Garage
I've been in the teardrop camp since the mid 80's
1st 66

and nowadays, the same scoop different hood

I did however make a road trip to the Philly area a while ago and picked up a 67 Shelby style fiberglass unit that needs work
Your car with the bigs and littles screams drag car and so does the scoop if you wanted to tone it down you could always plastidip it black

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I did however make a road trip to the Philly area a while ago and picked up a 67 Shelby style fiberglass unit that needs work
I'm looking forward to that one. That'll be cool.
2nd 66 likes this.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Get a drop-base air cleaner and go to a more typical (read 'attractive') Shelby GT-350 scoop.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 AM

a teardrop would look right at home on your car

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
ditch the scoop its not 1985 anymore.
HAHA! That hit my funny-bone! This may be the underlying reason I have in my head it needs a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Get a drop-base air cleaner and go to a more typical (read 'attractive') Shelby GT-350 scoop.
Quote:
Any chance there is a shorter air filter element available? That top is probably doing most of the work anyway.
Great ideas to gain some needed clearance. That filter does set on the very top of the carb. I have to do some measuring depending on the direction I go.. thanks.

Quote:
Also, itís not too late to set it up for handling. Youíve got room for plenty of tire in the rear and, no offense intended, but youíre due for a wheel update too.
This has been in my mind for a while. My friends and I did this "back-half" back in the mid 80's. The Mustang had rusted out frame rails and inner trunk. Back then the "hot rod" trend was the emerging "pro street" movement. Since that time trends and my tastes have definitely changed. Nicer 16" wheels, bigger brakes and wider front tires may be the direction I'm heading. Rear tire off-set could be another whole topic to discuss. It only comes down to time, money and imagination to make it land somewhere between resto-mod and pro touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I like what you have insofar as you need it and have the engine to justify it and it compliments the drag look of the wheels. It is a bit tall & obtrusive but as I say it matches the overall look.
For a change I would choose that taller GT350 like scoop, more subtle and fits your needs.
I also like the Cobra-Jet style scoop, if its tall enough or the '68 Shelby type hood that is available with the heat extractors.
I got my bolt-on cobra-jet from here. RaceComposites - Universal Fiberglass Hood Scoops
Thanks for the link and vote. Ill check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I've been in the teardrop camp since the mid 80's
1st 66 and nowadays, the same scoop different hood. Your car with the bigs and littles screams drag car and so does the scoop if you wanted to tone it down you could always plastidip it black
You Mustang reminds me of my 65 Coupe (shoehorned 351 Cleveland and top loader) I owned 2 fastbacks ago. I found a teardrop hood at a swap meet. For dipping the hood, I like everything the same color but great idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang65coupe.JPG (22.0 KB, 10 views)
2nd 66 likes this.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
a teardrop would look right at home on your car
Thanks for your input - on a side note, your avatar made me run to the garage and grab this picture! It's been setting in my tool box for 37 years. Must have been a swap meet purchase but I have never seen another until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShelbyCap1.jpg (176.4 KB, 11 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page