Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Which EPAS?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dbenichou289 
#1 ·
I know this has been covered and recovered.

The problem is that there are so many threads its difficult to find specific information without spending the entire day reading.

We need a closed sticky with the basic information.

I was inclined to use a Prius EPAS in my 67, but there arent any in the Atlanta pull-a-parts.

Can the EPAS units be rank ordered by best to worst?

Will they all work with a 2 wire hookup?

Are they all similar in ease or difficulty of modification for installation?

What are the most common cars to look at for a EPAS?

#2 ·
I agree it would have been nice to have just the direct details on this mod. I too tried reading through the posts, I even tried to just sift through the pertinent information and copy it to a word document that I would later save as a pdf. So far I have 28 pages with included pics. If you want shoot me your email via PM and I'd gladly forward what I have so far.

#3 ·
Any junk yard will gladly ship you the parts, you can easily locate them on cars-parts.com.

Aside from that, I would ask what YOU want out of the EPAS system. I find that people have different expectations when it comes to the EPAS. I have a very well documented install thread using the Prius box:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1147680-67-cougar-toyota-prius-epas-install.html

Overall, I am pretty pleased, but I plan on improving things. I didn't care for how the system worked in "fail-safe" mode, but other people seem to be quite satisfied. I chose the Toyota hardware because I like the clocking of the motor to the right, instead of the Vue motor clocking to the left.

Andrew

#4 ·
Member @slow-poke started his thread back in 2014 and it had morphed to 86 pages making it cumbersome although very informative to sift through. So I basically copied the info out of his thread into a pdf so that I could read through what I thought was the necessary stuff to get this done. I haven't done this mod myself but I will very likely be doing it down the road. @andrewb70, very nice job on your install as well.

#5 ·
Member Waid302 has a very good write up on how he installed the Prius EPS, it even goes so far as explaining how it works and functions. I myself used this route for mine. Yes, it has become a long thread and it does take a little time to go through it, however it does contain excellent info.

I created a "Prius EPS rubber meet the road" thread explaining what it is like for me after I installed it. To this day, I still like how it works.

Andrewb70 is taking it to the next level to control and activate the variable capabilities of it. I am following that one closely as I may do the same to compare it to just using it in safe-mode. As he said, it does come down to what you want out of the EPS.

As you no doubt have seen many threads on the different versions of EPS available (Prius, equinox, vue, versa, etc), I can only chime in with my experience with the Prius version.

I hope this helps some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.