69 Mustang - where to install door lock switches - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Question 69 Mustang - where to install door lock switches

Hello all - looking for ideas here. I'm planning to install power door locks in my 69'. Not sure where to put the door lock switches?

Would love to see pics of what others have done (any model year) or suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I went round and round on this on my '67. The trunk release switch too. In the end I didn't like anything and just connected them to the alarm and do the door locks and trunk with the remote. No actual switches in the car. I did think of doing a micro switch on the driver's door lock so the passenger door would slave to it but didn't bother. The idea being that when you unlocked the driver's door with a key, the passenger door would automatically unlock too. But since I just use the remote and never the key I didn't really see the point.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I went round and round on this on my '67. The trunk release switch too. In the end I didn't like anything and just connected them to the alarm and do the door locks and trunk with the remote. No actual switches in the car. I did think of doing a micro switch on the driver's door lock so the passenger door would slave to it but didn't bother. The idea being that when you unlocked the driver's door with a key, the passenger door would automatically unlock too. But since I just use the remote and never the key I didn't really see the point.
I went the same route. No physical switch for the power door locks. I did add a power trunk release and put a momentary push button just above the radio (not visible on a 69/70) so I have another way to open the trunk. It also opens with the AUX button on my remote.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM

I knew someone that had an '80s model Dodge pickup with power locks. As I remember it, it had no switches. You operated both door locks by pushing or pulling the lock pins, which just looked like non-power parts.

I don't know exactly how it worked but I always thought it would be a nice clean way to do a conversion.

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
That's kind of what I was trying to say (not very well) above. You would have a microswitch attached to a door lock rod. OEM's just attach the switches into the latch assembly itself. (Volvos are where I got the idea.) After messing around with the idea a bit I figured it wasn't that much more trouble for me to reach across the car as to twist me right arm around to grab the driver's door lock knob. If my fob battery should go dead or something. Still it is indeed a very viable way of not having visible switches. If you wanted to get really tricky about it you could set up the driver's door lock where you twist the door key once to unlock the driver's door and then a second time to also unlock the passenger door. Kind of nice to have on a four door kid-hauler with a skittish driver but a bit over the top for a Mustang. And close to out of my swimming depth to figure out.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM

I'm going to do away with the pull up/push down rod and button at the top of the door. If you are outside, use the key if inside, simply raise the inside handle. IMO, they are redundant and not needed.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Garage
You better check yours, my doors do not unlock when I pull the handle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks GypsyR and 69GT350H, I was considering no switches as an option as well. I guess its time to select an alarm system ...

What did you use as an actuator for the trunk release? I haven't looked at that yet, but definitely would like to do the same. I've got some Fox Body door lock actuators for the doors, they seem to work great.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
At one time I raided an older junkyard for every 1970's big Ford and Mercury electric trunk latch they had. They are a direct bolt-in for 67-8's and I believe the 69-70's too. I used one, kept a spare, and sold the rest here for what I paid for them. Then a guy in Japan talked me out of my last one and I acquired another car. So I'm keeping an eye out again.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford.P51 View Post
Thanks GypsyR and 69GT350H, I was considering no switches as an option as well. I guess its time to select an alarm system ...

What did you use as an actuator for the trunk release? I haven't looked at that yet, but definitely would like to do the same. I've got some Fox Body door lock actuators for the doors, they seem to work great.
I used one of these, but quite sure I paid $60 or less for the latch alone.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
rpm

I put my door lock switches in the modified center console under the lid, and bough the actuators online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console switch panel.jpg (59.0 KB, 4 views)

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/

Last edited by rpm; 02-05-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
I used one of these, but quite sure I paid $60 or less for the latch alone.
Looks like the same one. Only picture I took of mine was the flip side. Next to my original '67's this is the '76 model one I shipped to some APO in Japan for $10. (I'm not very good at selling stuff.)

If/when anyone gets their hands on one of these you can ignore the third bolt hole your original has.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Supporting Member

To run a switch less setup a 5 wire actuator style door lock system is whats needed. As the door lock position is internal of the 5 wire actuator.

1969 Mach 1 S code...2nd owner
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like a trip to one of the older junkyards around here is in order. Thanks!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 AM

[QUOTE=j persons;10104730]I'm going to do away with the pull up/push down rod and button at the top of the door. If you are outside, use the key if inside, simply raise the inside handle. IMO, they are redundant and not needed.[/QUOTE
...how do you lock the doors while inside the car..there are times that you would need to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page