DIY Fan Controller - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 97
DIY Fan Controller

Ok giving back! I used this PWM controller on my Taurus two speed fan. I just hooked it up to the high speed side. Newer cars a re coming out with brush less motors so I'm looking to replace the motor on my fan with one, if anybody knows what may fit let me know!


https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-less-diy.html

1 3/4 UCA drop, Roller Spring Perch, Diy struts, roller boxed LCA, Power brakes,70 front disk, 8.8 Rear-end 3:25, T-5 hydraulic clutch, Alum Rad with Taurus Fans.
Triton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
The C7 Corvette uses brushless fan. It is sized about right for older cars. It is rated at 600watts.

Andrew

My YouTube Channel. Please subscribe.
Instagram @projectgattago
andrewb70 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 118
I will be using the below for my 347 build with Champion 3 core 24" radiator and Ford Contour dual fan



Auto Cool 85 PWM controller from https://www.autocoolguy.com/


For $175 it's worth it to me because I'm using the new Edelbrock ProFlo4 which has no provision to control fan.



J
jsulse is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulse View Post
I will be using the below for my 347 build with Champion 3 core 24" radiator and Ford Contour dual fan



Auto Cool 85 PWM controller from https://www.autocoolguy.com/


For $175 it's worth it to me because I'm using the new Edelbrock ProFlo4 which has no provision to control fan.

J
J,

I have installed one of those AutoCool boxes and I was not impressed. They are HUGE and tend to "buzz." I suggest the Fk75
DC Controls

Andrew

My YouTube Channel. Please subscribe.
Instagram @projectgattago
andrewb70 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 118
Thanks for the heads up Andrew. I will look into the DC Controls unit.
andrewb70 likes this.
jsulse is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
66coupe289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee (Sussex), WI
Posts: 2,185
So one of the things I have in my new old stock collection that is a 12 year old Spal PWM fan controller. I see those are discontinued and reviews seem poor. I currently control the fan with the temp sensing switch and relay. Should I just sell the Spal PWM and stick with what I have, or go to another controller?

I am running a single Spal fan, again 10+ years old.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
66coupe289 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
Can always do it old school and simple...older Porsches have a simple temperature switch that screws into the radiator and opens a relay to turn on the fan...you can add a bung to an aluminum radiator to fit this switch...or alternatively add a bung to a water pipe or t-stat housing to the same effect(might even be able to simply tap the correct thread if you have someplace with enough metal) The Porsche switch is like $9.99 from any auto parts store...add in another $10 for a relay and wiring and voila...no crazy controller needed.
wicked93gs is online now  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Posts: 500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Ok giving back! I used this PWM controller on my Taurus two speed fan. I just hooked it up to the high speed side. Newer cars a re coming out with brush less motors so I'm looking to replace the motor on my fan with one, if anybody knows what may fit let me know!l[/url]
I got two Spal high volume brushless fans in a custom built shroud that spaces the fans off the radiator so that they pull air from farther corners than just two small 'donuts' when the fan is right up against the fins. The Spal brushless have a built-in waterproof variable speed controller and you just change the sensors if you want a different heat range. They work like this (see sensor list at the bottom of the link): the 185 degree sensor first turns on the fans at 25% at 165 degrees, then variably increases the fan speed until it hits 100% at 185 degrees. See below. Several size fans available and 3 diff sensors.

Spal Brushless fans at Wizard cooling

Fishfreq is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
Spal offers the mating connectors for those brushless fans.

Andrew

My YouTube Channel. Please subscribe.
Instagram @projectgattago
andrewb70 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
russosborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Glendale Arizona
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Can always do it old school and simple...older Porsches have a simple temperature switch that screws into the radiator and opens a relay to turn on the fan...you can add a bung to an aluminum radiator to fit this switch...or
.


Could you please tell me what years would have these?
Thanks
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
russosborne is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 AM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-wahler-p...yABEgI0ePD_BwE

Honestly I cant remember the full year range, but here is one for 92 degrees Celsius(197 degrees Fahrenheit). You can find them in varying prices and I believe varying temps all over the web...I used the 197 myself in one of my builds without issue..but was a newer engine...I might try to find a 180 for an older pre-cat engine

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...yABEgIUKfD_BwE

Here is a 185, but I never used one of the 3 blade switches, so wiring may(or maybe not) require something extra

Last edited by wicked93gs; 07-18-2019 at 01:17 AM.
wicked93gs is online now  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SC foothills, USA
Posts: 18,983
Garage
I suspect the price varies on those according to how aware people are that they are the exact same ones as used on 1979-84 VW Rabbits and stuff. Stick "Porsche" on them and no doubt people will pay extra. Either way I wouldn't have a problem using one. But what do you screw it into? I have a vehicle that uses one of those OEM, it screws into a bung in the radiator. My Fords are sporting no such bungs. I have a hose Tee that would accept such a sender from a Saab, but it fits a hose somewhere in between heater hose size and radiator hose size and so is pretty useless.
GypsyR is online now  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I suspect the price varies on those according to how aware people are that they are the exact same ones as used on 1979-84 VW Rabbits and stuff. Stick "Porsche" on them and no doubt people will pay extra. Either way I wouldn't have a problem using one. But what do you screw it into? I have a vehicle that uses one of those OEM, it screws into a bung in the radiator. My Fords are sporting no such bungs. I have a hose Tee that would accept such a sender from a Saab, but it fits a hose somewhere in between heater hose size and radiator hose size and so is pretty useless.
You can easily weld a bung of the correct size into a t-pipe....or possibly find some stock application in-hose pipe of the right size for it with a little searching...or if you have a TIG and an aluminum radiator weld a bung in there....copper/brass radiators I have moved outlets from one side to another with brazing before as well, so that's also a possibility, but in the end...I am sure a lot of different manufacturers have some type of temperature switch...this is just the one I know of offhand and have used before on other cars I have built
wicked93gs is online now  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SC foothills, USA
Posts: 18,983
Garage
Just curious how YOU used these. I've had an eye out for a piece of OEM pipe that accepts one or another of these style senders for like 15 years with no luck. That's how I ended up with the Saab piece. I know there are a couple of members here who can and will TIG something into aluminum but I believe I'm in the vast majority of those here who have no such DIY capability or ability.

So basically I was kind of hoping you'd say something like we can simply pop over to McMaster-Carr or something and buy part number XX4XX and install into X.X size radiator hose. No such luck? Any pointers on where to source the (steel) bungs then?
GypsyR is online now  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Just curious how YOU used these. I've had an eye out for a piece of OEM pipe that accepts one or another of these style senders for like 15 years with no luck. That's how I ended up with the Saab piece. I know there are a couple of members here who can and will TIG something into aluminum but I believe I'm in the vast majority of those here who have no such DIY capability or ability.

So basically I was kind of hoping you'd say something like we can simply pop over to McMaster-Carr or something and buy part number XX4XX and install into X.X size radiator hose. No such luck? Any pointers on where to source the (steel) bungs then?
Last I used one was on a 1977 Toyota Celica....I had a radiator shop braze a bronze block to the radiator end tank...then simply tapped it to the correct thread.

As for a bung...for that particular size, you have the easy option of a spindle nut:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...tch-.jpg?stc=1

P.S. I love the Pirate 4x4 site...there is so much obscure automotive knowledge on that site.
wicked93gs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New electric fan controller macstang Vintage Mustang Forum 6 02-02-2019 05:55 PM
Thinking of ditching my electric fan - talk me out of it mike306 Vintage Mustang Forum 23 06-12-2018 05:25 PM
Fan - Front versus Rear 1968Cally Vintage Mustang Forum 2 04-17-2018 12:52 PM
Suggestions for an electric fan controller? 1968Cally Vintage Mustang Forum 44 03-12-2018 09:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome