Hood Scoop Question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 23Likes

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Hood Scoop Question

Putting a 351W (408 strocker) in my 68 coupe. AFR heads, Edelbrock air gap intake, holley 750HP (double pumper with no air horn).

Not enough hood clearance. Without the air cleaner the holley bowl vents hit the hood when closing. I'll need to cut clearance out of the hood.

I'd like to go with the Cobra Jet style scoop and keep it non-functional for now.

OR, and this is what I'd prefer is a shaker. Anyone know how much clearance is need? I know the big block version sits lower, but is there anyway I can be sure before I purchase it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms View Post
Putting a 351W (408 strocker) in my 68 coupe. AFR heads, Edelbrock air gap intake, holley 750HP (double pumper with no air horn).

Not enough hood clearance. Without the air cleaner the holley bowl vents hit the hood when closing. I'll need to cut clearance out of the hood.

I'd like to go with the Cobra Jet style scoop and keep it non-functional for now.

OR, and this is what I'd prefer is a shaker. Anyone know how much clearance is need? I know the big block version sits lower, but is there anyway I can be sure before I purchase it?

Thanks.

Will be paying attention.... I have the same issue... need solution.
My PO put the ugliest scoop Iíve ever seen....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I measured 1.75" clearance from the carburator air cleaner surface (flange?) to the underside of the hood with a 1/2" spacer under the carb. I want to use a 1" (adds 10HP on the dyno over no spacer).

So I could have as much as 2.25" clearance (no spacer), 1.75" (1/2" spacer), and 1.25" (1" spacer).

I hope someone has some clearance numbers for me.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms View Post
I measured 1.75" clearance from the carburator air cleaner surface (flange?) to the underside of the hood with a 1/2" spacer under the carb. I want to use a 1" (adds 10HP on the dyno over no spacer).

So I could have as much as 2.25" clearance (no spacer), 1.75" (1/2" spacer), and 1.25" (1" spacer).

I hope someone has some clearance numbers for me.

I am a fan of spacers... different type for different situations, but don't get hung up on the 10hp. You will lose more than the 10 hp without enough hood clearance, or enough room for a proper air cleaner. Air needs to be able to make a smooth transition down into the carb, and with the carb too close to the hood, it's impossible.

Have you thought about a cowl induction type hood, instead of making holes in yours - especially if you don't want to make it functional? I've always been a fan of the '67 Shelby scoops, but they may not give you enough room.

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I agree, I'm not dead set on the extra 10HP, but do like a plastic spacer to keep the carb cooler. I drag race the car and heat is always an issue.

Also, I would prefer any scoop to be functional, if possible.

Not a fan of the cowl induction (too chebby-ish! )
Rorin67 likes this.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:12 AM

I have a feeling you're going to end up disappointed. If the bowl vents are hitting the hood, I don't think any air cleaner is going to fit under it. The Big Block shaker may sit lower, but not much. Its already known that those shakers won't fit with many aftermarket intakes or carb spacers. Do you have the lowering engine mounts on it? You're going to need every bit of help you can get. You really need to get that engine as low as possible. Then lay a straight edge across your fenders and measure your clearances. A large diameter air cleaner is also going require some clearance.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Another option is to install Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts. Says they can drop your 351w upto 1/2-inch:
ronmorrisperformance.com RMP Adjustable Motor Mounts
THE EVIL TW1N likes this.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

I didn't know about lowering mounts. Scode67FB, are you talking about the same ones Brent is talking about?
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Maier Racing has a high rise 67 style Shelby hood, plus several others.

https://www.maierracing.com/product-...67-68-mustang/

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Maier Racing has a high rise 67 style Shelby hood, plus several others.

https://www.maierracing.com/product-...67-68-mustang/
I have that hood. Plenty of clearance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F82CBCA-B6E5-4100-AA77-F7DA6FF54AEC_1553599490704.jpg (356.0 KB, 17 views)
fordguy and Brent like this.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM

Spacers are different for each combo. Saying it’ll gain 10 hp on the dyno (I’ve never seen a dyno make a pass yet), is like saying you’re going to install e3 spark plugs because horsepower tv says you’ll gain 10 hp. I certainly wouldn’t cut my hood to make a spacer fit, that in some cases could actually slow your car down, and that’s coming from someone who cut a hole in his hood to make his combo fit.
dobrostang and 69bosssvt like this.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Even without the spacer the hood hits the air cleaner.

Sounds like I need to get more educated on Mustang motor mounts.

(sportsroof69, your post sounds a little condescending. You could have made your point without suggesting I'm stupid. I'm not a professional, but I have a lot of years building motors. I understand a spacer and what it does and how. It makes A/F mix more evenly, can help cylinders burn more evenly (both things that are better for your motor) and it isolates your carb and fuel in the bowls from heat. The latter being the real reason I want to use a spacer.)
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM

The K&N filter top has shown some improvements in air flow over the traditional type filter. I think they can be had for a little cheaper than what is shown in the link.
https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...SABEgI-6PD_BwE

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM

I've seen this style air cleaner used in low-clearance applications;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-764/overview/

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Consider going shaker. I converted to shaker/faker with Ford ram air (Leon). I have a 351C with Leons custom base to clear MSD and edelbrock air gap. Had room for 1 inch spacer as well. Not cheap but nice quality.

Rayce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page