MagnaFlow 15815 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

MagnaFlow 15815

I’m curious if anyone here has used this dual exhaust kit and how you like it?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/magnaflo...5-1966/p/CBG1/

I’m thinking of installing it on a 64.5 vert, so I know it will have to be modified somewhat to work with the floor structure, but I am particularly curious about the tail pipes and if they are long enough and could be modified/bent to go through the rear valence instead of running underneath it with turn downs.

Extra credit for pics of your install!

Tnx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:09 PM

I don't have the 15815 but I have the 15816 for a '69. Took some time to get it lined up but the fit is very good to excellent. The tailpipes lined up perfectly with the cutouts on the rear valence. Not sure this helps you. Maybe the magnaflow folks can provide some input.
Chaplin likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 AM

I have that same setup on my 67, fit perfectly. FYI, bought it years ago from performancepeddler for a lot less than everyone else.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
I have that same setup on my 67, fit perfectly. FYI, bought it years ago from performancepeddler for a lot less than everyone else.
Thanks for the info on performancepeddler. I checked them out and they were a lot less than anybody else. I placed the order last weekend and the box arrived yesterday!
strtcar likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Thanks for the info on performancepeddler. I checked them out and they were a lot less than anybody else. I placed the order last weekend and the box arrived yesterday!

Thats great they still selling, i probably bought mine 10yrs from them and still running good.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
I purchased that kit about a year ago for $535.00 shipped to my door (shop around). I installed it myself and I needed to modify the front tubes to match up with my JBA full length headers. Other than that it fit very well. The hangers fit up to my GT tailpipe hanger brackets no problem. That kit is not supposed to work with the GT valance but it looks like it will fit with a minor tweak of the tail pipe extensions provided in the kit. I think you will have more issues around the x pipe crossover area since you have a convertible. The tail pipe extensions need a short 2 to 2.5 inch offset S bend in them to put the tailpipes in the center of the GT holes. I plan to take it to a local shop and have them bend the pipes and fit the tips once its on the road. I think it sounds pretty healthy even on my mystery motor that came with the car. Grrr... I give up on posting picture here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6266.jpg (328.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6180.jpg (318.9 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
pic flip test... OK it is possible!

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can upload a video now?

I was going to include a video of my exhaust tone with the car idling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6180-1.jpg (213.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6267-2.jpg (351.1 KB, 9 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics. Would love to hear a video clip if you can get it uploaded.
I agree, the floor structure of the convertible is going to pose the issues. I may wind up bringing it to an exhaust shop and let them bend everything to fit.

Did you run into any interference with the d/s pipe and the bracket by the cross-member that holds the parking brake cable? On mine, it looks like that bracket may need to be bent/relocated slightly to avoid hitting the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budstoy View Post
I purchased that kit about a year ago for $535.00 shipped to my door (shop around). I installed it myself and I needed to modify the front tubes to match up with my JBA full length headers. Other than that it fit very well. The hangers fit up to my GT tailpipe hanger brackets no problem. That kit is not supposed to work with the GT valance but it looks like it will fit with a minor tweak of the tail pipe extensions provided in the kit. I think you will have more issues around the x pipe crossover area since you have a convertible. The tail pipe extensions need a short 2 to 2.5 inch offset S bend in them to put the tailpipes in the center of the GT holes. I plan to take it to a local shop and have them bend the pipes and fit the tips once its on the road. I think it sounds pretty healthy even on my mystery motor that came with the car. Grrr... I give up on posting picture here.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
Yes now that you mentioned it I did move the bracket with 2 screws that holds the e-bake cable about .5 inch. I also had to modify the trans cross member on the driver side to make room for the header.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budstoy View Post
Yes now that you mentioned it I did move the bracket with 2 screws that holds the e-bake cable about .5 inch. I also had to modify the trans cross member on the driver side to make room for the header.

Thx!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 PM

I did the same system with JBA long tube headers on my 66 conf. It was pretty tight, especially around the AOD trans. You will have to space the conv stiffening plate down to get clearance. I had to fabricate the short pipes to connect the x-pipe inputs to the LBA flanges but that was not too hard. Some bending of the parking brake level arm was needed as well. Be patient and you can get it to fit. Nice sound with my 363 but not as nice as my grandson's 2014 GT with the GT500 mufflers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.JPG (101.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.JPG (82.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0158.JPG (91.8 KB, 13 views)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsen View Post
I did the same system with JBA long tube headers on my 66 conf. It was pretty tight, especially around the AOD trans. You will have to space the conv stiffening plate down to get clearance. I had to fabricate the short pipes to connect the x-pipe inputs to the LBA flanges but that was not too hard. Some bending of the parking brake level arm was needed as well. Be patient and you can get it to fit. Nice sound with my 363 but not as nice as my grandson's 2014 GT with the GT500 mufflers.
Thanks for the pics!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 PM

I may win a procrastination award for this one. I just pulled the packing slip off my NIB Magnaflow System... 9/12/2006 ! I also have NIB Hedman Elite headers from the same time. My how time flies.

The AFR heads are sitting on the shortblock and the car should be assembled and running by Sunday. It will go back together with the current exhaust and then off to the shop for the Magnaflow install. As I recall the price I paid was about half what the current headers and exhaust cost. I suppose it's about a push vs investing the money in stocks.
Chaplin likes this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Finally the car is alive again! It just needs some tuning and then on to the exhaust.

Question: Did you guys buy stainless collectors to connect to the headers? I know mild steel can be welded to stainless by a skilled welder, but I hate to do that. I can buy the stainless ball & socket collectors for my Hedmans for a mere $140.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

Last edited by 66coupe289; 07-17-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:08 AM

Look at the header buddies at summit, they are a gasketless ball that fits to a standard 3" 3 bolt header flange. I don't think they come in stainless, but they have aluminized.
If you don't mind changing both halves then consider a male/female flange with a v-band clamp like a turbo flange. Search Amazon, they have them in 304 stainless or mild steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page