Power source forelec.fan - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Power source forelec.fan

What is best source or connection point for electric radiator fan. 67 289
Solenoid which post?

fuse box?

thef an temp sender is thermostat housing mounted.
TY

I'm not good at following diagrams.

TY,
Gmpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:53 PM

You need a relay. I had mine ran to the "I" post and on a temp sensor before installing an AAW wiring harness
gimpystoy likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
I built a stand alone harness with a relay. My pickup point was the battery positive terminal and grounded at several locations

Brad

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 PM

How are you planning to activate the fan? If it's your main cooling fan putting it on a switch won't work.

You really need a fan controller. This is the one I have:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759

If you are not good with diagrams find a friend to help you. This is serious stuff, fans draw a lot of current.

On mine I have the yellow and red wire connected to the solenoid. I then have the black wire grounded to the alternator ground post. The fan is activated by the probe which I have inserted into the fins near my radiator inlet. Because I have the red and yellow wire connected together at the solenoid the fan can run when the car is off like a modern vehicle. I eliminated the green wire (it's just an override that you can attach to a switch inside the car).

1965 Mustang
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:31 PM

The best place to get power for a fan is directly from the battery, and the easiest way to do that is to connect to the starter solenoid terminal where the large cable is coming from the battery. Don't tap into the fuse box - the wiring is not designed for the additional large load of a fan. Fans can draw upwards of 40 amps, so a connection near the battery is the best choice.

As others have pointed out, you will need a relay or some type of controller to control the fan. I did not get consistent results with a temperature probe in the radiator fins, so I am controlling my fan with a coolant temperature sensor. It's really controlled by my EFI computer, but it's based on the temperature read by the coolant temperature sensor. I still have the probe in the radiator fins, but I use it as a fail-safe in case the electronic controls don't work for some reason.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
How are you planning to activate the fan? If it's your main cooling fan putting it on a switch won't work.

You really need a fan controller. This is the one I have:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759

If you are not good with diagrams find a friend to help you. This is serious stuff, fans draw a lot of current.

On mine I have the yellow and red wire connected to the solenoid. I then have the black wire grounded to the alternator ground post. The fan is activated by the probe which I have inserted into the fins near my radiator inlet. Because I have the red and yellow wire connected together at the solenoid the fan can run when the car is off like a modern vehicle. I eliminated the green wire (it's just an override that you can attach to a switch inside the car).
It will work ,but one must pay attention. Although I only need to run it idling through traffic or waiting for the next autox run

Brad
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
It will work ,but one must pay attention. Although I only need to run it idling through traffic or waiting for the next autox run
Well, it works in a literal sense but temps can rise pretty fast. I'd say you have to look at your gauge every 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and a factory gauge with a C, an H and a bunch of meaningless empty space in between won't cut it.

As the many, many, many threads about overheating prove, once you start changing things from stock every car becomes different. Yours sounds like it runs pretty cool. Mine seems to be one of the hotter ones. It was 70 degrees today and the fan was keeping my car at about 200 running full blast.

1965 Mustang
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I have my high amp accessories triggered by a relay with an oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch completes the circuit to power the relay. The relay then powers the pumps and fan. I don't want them putting a drain on the battery while I'm trying to start.

I have the power to the accessories wired through the relay directly to the battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM

I LIKE that idea!
Thanks!
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
I LIKE that idea!
Thanks!
Russ
Dont forget to fuse that line from the battery

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 AM

A fan controller with Pulse Width Modulation is the way to go for many reasons. Delta Current Control has a good reputation. http://www.dccontrol.com/
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulse View Post
A fan controller with Pulse Width Modulation is the way to go for many reasons. Delta Current Control has a good reputation. http://www.dccontrol.com/
What makes a pwm controller worth the cost in this application? Seems pretty pricey.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Garage
Painless makes a simple fan controller kit with relay and thermostatic switch. Very simple to install, just did one in a friend's car.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30102

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Where are you guys putting your thermal switch? I already have a sensor in my manifold for my temp gauge so I am using a sensor that goes in the fins of the radiator.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a sensor that would work for both a gauge and a fan controller? Or does that just make too much sense? Or does it make SO MUCH sense that it already exists and I just don't know about it?

1965 Mustang
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Where are you guys putting your thermal switch? I already have a sensor in my manifold for my temp gauge so I am using a sensor that goes in the fins of the radiator.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a sensor that would work for both a gauge and a fan controller? Or does that just make too much sense? Or does it make SO MUCH sense that it already exists and I just don't know about it?
I used a fan controller from speedway for a while that just had a knob to set the turn on point. You could use it with most any cts as a result, so you could hook everything up to a single sender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page