Keeps popping freeze plugs on the dyno... - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I agree that it's a physical problem between the freeze plug and block. Do you guys think my solid motor mounts are making my block flex instead of rotating normally like it would with rubber mounts, and the flex allows the plugs to pop out? I also made the error of using a rubber transmission mount with the solid engine mounts, could the give back there be exacerbating the flex in the block? I have a poly trans mount but I didn't figure it would be big enough of a problem that I had to get to it immediately.

1965 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Buy the tester that indicated presence of hydrocarbons in coolant. If there is a positive test, then head gasket problem or crack in block between cylinder and water jacket. I don't think water pump should matter unless the plugs are put in wrong. Don't think that under 350hp really is going to stress the block enough to cause problems. I have seen some turbo/superchargers put a lot HP without problems. Do make sure your rad cap is good but if engine is showing no signs of overheating the pressure would have to be from another source (crack block/head gasket). I hope the plugs were just put in bad.
Dave R. likes this.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
No history, the block, crank and rods were supplied by the builder. I'd give them a call but I bought this thing six years ago, I doubt they care.
This is why I baulk at buying a pre-assembled shortblock or crate motor.

So lets say they screwed up... so what are they going to do now? You’ve already done the work of pulling it apart, and finding the problem they caused. It’s not like you can bill them, and they’ll pay you for the time.

Stories like this just make me lean towards Dad, and I getting the parts, and spending the day putting an engine together like we did back when we were drag racing.

Those were great times.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
I agree that it's a physical problem between the freeze plug and block. Do you guys think my solid motor mounts are making my block flex instead of rotating normally like it would with rubber mounts, and the flex allows the plugs to pop out? I also made the error of using a rubber transmission mount with the solid engine mounts, could the give back there be exacerbating the flex in the block? I have a poly trans mount but I didn't figure it would be big enough of a problem that I had to get to it immediately.
I don't think that has anything to do with it.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 PM

May have been a batch of bad offshore freeze plugs. As long as everything else checks out replace them and enjoy the power!
rose62 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with it.
I agree... just too far fetched.

If that were the case you’d have bigger concerns.
Dave R. and Nailbender like this.

Rick

My Dream Car
65 Fastback
Shelby GT-350 Tribute/ Resto-mod
In Progress

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 AM

I would put a pressure gauge on the cooling system as a first step. That would remove a lot of guesswork. Are the pressure normal or do it act strange? Do it rise, but only if you really push the engine?
JSHarvey likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:12 AM

Whatever the cause, I would definitely replace all of them. I can't stand driving a car I don't trust to get me home !

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
So what was the final conclusion to this?

Rick

My Dream Car
65 Fastback
Shelby GT-350 Tribute/ Resto-mod
In Progress

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Any chance the thermostat is in backwards?

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

All plugs got replaced. No issues since. Never made more than 324rwhp.

1965 Mustang
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM

jdub,

TRE is not a fly by might engine builder. They have a very good name and build a quality product. It is worth an email or call to Paul just to see if he has any insight about the problem. If this is a 5.0 roller block , there could be other problems causing this . Nascar teams used to "pin" the freeze plugs in the block by drilling small holes for rivets to keep the plugs in place. I like using the Ford racing screw in plugs and have the taps to do it myself. We don't get freezing cold weather in California so I'm OK doing it.
Despite being six years old , I'm sure Paul will help you to figure this out.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350HR View Post
jdub,

TRE is not a fly by might engine builder. They have a very good name and build a quality product. It is worth an email or call to Paul just to see if he has any insight about the problem. If this is a 5.0 roller block , there could be other problems causing this . Nascar teams used to "pin" the freeze plugs in the block by drilling small holes for rivets to keep the plugs in place. I like using the Ford racing screw in plugs and have the taps to do it myself. We don't get freezing cold weather in California so I'm OK doing it.
Despite being six years old , I'm sure Paul will help you to figure this out.
Randy

I'd like to know more about this tap- where can you get them or at least the diameter and thread pitch. I think that would be a cool add if I my engine ever comes out.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350HR View Post
TRE is not a fly by might engine builder. They have a very good name and build a quality product. It is worth an email or call to Paul just to see if he has any insight about the problem. If this is a 5.0 roller block , there could be other problems causing this . Nascar teams used to "pin" the freeze plugs in the block by drilling small holes for rivets to keep the plugs in place. I like using the Ford racing screw in plugs and have the taps to do it myself. We don't get freezing cold weather in California so I'm OK doing it. Despite being six years old , I'm sure Paul will help you to figure this out.
"I spent $1000 having the freeze plugs of an engine I bought from you six years ago for $1300 replaced because three of them fell out on the dyno?" How exactly do you think that conversation will go? I just don't see a good ending that is worth my time. Do you know him personally?

I have actually not read one other good thing about them on the internet other than what you wrote.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 08-12-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I'd like to know more about this tap- where can you get them or at least the diameter and thread pitch. I think that would be a cool add if I my engine ever comes out.
1-1/2 NPT . For a 289-351 you need 2 taps. One "regular" and one shortened by 3/4ths of an inch to "deepen" the threads so the plug will be flush with the block. The "regular" tap hits the cylinder walls before the tapped hole is large enough.
Randy
Grabber70Mach and SWPruett like this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page