Keeps popping freeze plugs on the dyno... - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
"I spent $1000 having the freeze plugs of an engine I bought from you six years ago for $1300 replaced because three of them fell out on the dyno?" How exactly do you think that conversation will go? I just don't see a good ending that is worth my time. Do you know him personally?

I have actually not read one other good thing about them on the internet other than what you wrote.
PM sent.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
Is this why the Boss had screw-in plugs, was it actually just water pump and normal heat pressure?
History of your block? Maybe it just has very excessive corrosion around the holes. I used some type III on mine but I really don't think it has much strength to it. I do know that some core plugs have noticeably deeper lips than others that ensure they are more square. One more and I'd be reaching for the JB Weld for every one.
The Boss engines has screw in plugs because they supposedly strengthened the block.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old Today, 02:55 PM

Garage
The only time I've had a freeze plug pop was after letting a machine shop install them (conveniently the same shop that screwed up my 428).

I've always used either Permatex #2 or Shellac to install them, never had one pop since.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old Today, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Yep. This is why I'm never, ever, ever paying another ******* to do engine assembly for me. Even if they get it right 99% of the time it's not good enough if I end up being the 1%. Plus locals are all sketchy and nobody in their right mind wants to do mail order engine warranty work. Paying someone else is lose-lose-lose in my experience.

1965 Mustang
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old Today, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Yep. This is why I'm never, ever, ever paying another ******* to do engine assembly for me. Even if they get it right 99% of the time it's not good enough if I end up being the 1%. Plus locals are all sketchy and nobody in their right mind wants to do mail order engine warranty work. Paying someone else is lose-lose-lose in my experience.
Yep, I used to be a big advocate of supporting local machine shops. Turns out most of them suck too and don't want to honor their work.

If I ever have to build another motor, I'm buying a nice mic and doing everything myself- I don't trust anyone .

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page