Keeps popping freeze plugs on the dyno... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Keeps popping freeze plugs on the dyno...

Here's a little background:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/m...o-results.html

My new engine has about 20 miles on it and about 1-2 hours of run time and keeps popping freeze plugs on the dyno at high RPM.

It doesn't overheat. There's no indication of oil-coolant mixing or any indication of excessive blow-by. We've kind of ruled out that the head gaskets are on backwards because I think things would have gone south quickly that way.

The water pump is a regular old water pump, not high volume or pressure or anything like that:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Wate...QAAOSw7VJcpDEp

All the freeze plugs were installed by the shortblock builder:

https://treperformance.com

Can you screw up the free plug installation that bad, that many times?

We're going to try a new radiator cap. Other than that, brainstorming as to the cause is kind of at a dead end. If the block or heads were cracked I would think it would not seem like an otherwise good, healthy running engine.

I don't want to keep popping freeze plugs every time I rev to 6000 RPM in a cascade of weakest links.

What am I missing?

1965 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Man that sucks. Same plug every time, or different ones? I usually apply loctite to my freeze plugs, but they shouldn’t blow out either way.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Different one this time. So now I'm worried they put them all in wrong and eventually one of the hard to get to plugs will pop out. I don't know if I should cross that bridge when I get to it or pull the engine and redo every @#$&ing plug myself so I'm not left stranded somewhere. It's not like it's hard to pull one of these engines. Kind of bittersweet that I exceeded my power goal, and at only 6200 RPM.

1965 Mustang

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 PM

If it’s coolant pressure popping out the plugs, switch to a low pressure radiator cap. That way pressure will release out the cap instead.
You can also try running without a thermostat.

Still, coolant pressure shouldn’t be getting that high. If it’s not overheating then it’s gotta be compression/combustion leaking past the head gasket.

Try the lower pressure cap first.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

The cap I had was 15psi. We're putting in a 12psi cap and re-torquing the head bolts before the next dyno run.

1965 Mustang
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
The cap I had was 15psi. We're putting in a 12psi cap and re-torquing the head bolts before the next dyno run.
I’d go 7 psi but retorquing the head is a good idea.
Rufus68 likes this.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM

Boy, the freeze plug thing stinks, but not the power! Impressive! I thought for sure you were running a high volume water pump or something weird. You'll figure it out.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm really thinking it's an installation problem.

1965 Mustang
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 PM

Is this why the Boss had screw-in plugs, was it actually just water pump and normal heat pressure?
History of your block? Maybe it just has very excessive corrosion around the holes. I used some type III on mine but I really don't think it has much strength to it. I do know that some core plugs have noticeably deeper lips than others that ensure they are more square. One more and I'd be reaching for the JB Weld for every one.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM

You shouldn't need to pull the engine but you do need to remove each engine mount to get them all.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

No history, the block, crank and rods were supplied by the builder. I'd give them a call but I bought this thing six years ago, I doubt they care.

1965 Mustang
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
You shouldn't need to pull the engine but you do need to remove each engine mount to get them all.
Yea, it's not bad. A least it's not a SBC with freeze plugs between the engine and trans! I think mine may be epoxied in.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Yea, it's not bad. A least it's not a SBC with freeze plugs between the engine and trans! I think mine may be epoxied in.
Yeah, I dunno, with the TCP mounts it might not be bad, I put those in with the engine in the car so I can easily get them back out. It's the headers that will suck. I really don't want to R&R them with the engine in the car. I'm kinda weird, sometimes I'd rather take something more apart to have easier access than to work in tight places. I have big hands and they get beat up even just changing plugs.

1965 Mustang
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Yeah, I dunno, with the TCP mounts it might not be bad, I put those in with the engine in the car so I can easily get them back out. It's the headers that will suck. I really don't want to R&R them with the engine in the car. I'm kinda weird, sometimes I'd rather take something more apart to have easier access than to work in tight places. I have big hands and they get beat up even just changing plugs.
With all my issues I've had my motor(s) in and out a half dozen times. I think I'm down to less than 2 hours each way. It's the mental thing about having to pull the motor yet again that get's to me. Good excuse to put in the top loader though!

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 PM

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this problem and can't imagine a freeze plug popping from internal coolant pressure. Water freezing, sure, a LOT of pressure develops when that happens. But if a coolant system pressurizes to the point that would push out a correctly installed freeze plug it seems to me that something else in the cooling system would blow first. Like maybe a radiator hose or even a seem on the top tank. I have seen top tanks blow like that.
I would suspect that freeze plugs that are a couple thou small were used or the block has some sort of problem in that area.
I've installed my share of freeze plugs and none of them were easy to get in their sockets. They all took a properly sized socket and a few good whacks with a hammer. Wouldn't it take that much force to pop one out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in