To Return, Or Not To Return. That is the question. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

To Return, Or Not To Return. That is the question.

Can I first start with: I hate buying stuff. Or, really, I hate having to decide what to buy. But here I am. I've decided that I'm going to install a Holley EFI system, with new dizzy. My last problem to overcome is fuel delivery. Holley makes a returnless drop in pump, which means only 1 line running to and fro. However, they recommend 3/8", so I technically should replace my 5/16" with 3/8". (I know, the 5/16" would probably be fine. The FPR is then mounted in the tank, which can be it's own set of headaches, but is a cleaner install. OOOOOORRRR, do I get a Spectra FP, which is also a drop in, but is a return style. Then I could use the 5/16" as my return, and run a new 3/8". With doing it this way, the FPR is on the throttle body.

Is one way better than the other? Why? Which would (or did) you choose? Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM

You should search at the Holley Forum: Sniper EFI. From what I read few people have had any problem with a remote FPR on Sniper. But not many have done it either. Holley also sells a version of the "Corvette" regulator and a diecast filter/regulator. (picture below) You can mount these near the tank or pump or Spectra module. The Holley unit basically uses the Snipers regulator in the housing. You just plug the regulator outlet on the Sniper and let the remote regulator supply the 60 psi. Meanwhile, on the Holley forum, many people continue to have plugged regulators on the Sniper. Fuel pressures will reach over 90 psi with a malfunctioning regulator.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Its funny that holley would recommend using a 3/8 fuel line since the outlet on their in tank pump is 5/16.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM

I have not installed the sniper system as it didn't exist when I converted my '65 to EFI using a return style system.

However, as far as which one is "better". I'd say the return style is "better" in that it constantly circulates fuel which should keep the fuel cooler than a returnless system, but this is likely a very minor benefit. I think it is more true that the return style systems represent simpler technology and they appeared first and then were replaced in OEM use by returnless styles over the last several years for new cars.

My understanding is the returnless system was invented to better control fugitive emissions.

To the OP I would do whatever your kit manufacturer recommends. If the returnless style works well, then why not use it? One less line to run.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Can I first start with: I hate buying stuff. Or, really, I hate having to decide what to buy. But here I am. I've decided that I'm going to install a Holley EFI system, with new dizzy. My last problem to overcome is fuel delivery. Holley makes a returnless drop in pump, which means only 1 line running to and fro. However, they recommend 3/8", so I technically should replace my 5/16" with 3/8". (I know, the 5/16" would probably be fine. The FPR is then mounted in the tank, which can be it's own set of headaches, but is a cleaner install. OOOOOORRRR, do I get a Spectra FP, which is also a drop in, but is a return style. Then I could use the 5/16" as my return, and run a new 3/8". With doing it this way, the FPR is on the throttle body.

Is one way better than the other? Why? Which would (or did) you choose? Why?
I installed the sniper in my brother-in-law's 66 using the returnless pump linked. It's been working great. I did increase the size of the fuel line. The main reason I did it was so I wouldn't need to run a return line.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-131

Robert Icasas

Projects:

67 Cougar
Art Morrison Sport IFS
3-link Rear Suspension
Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56
Build: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...se-enough.html

Brother's 1966 Mustang Restomod
Mustang II front suspension
Torque Arm Rear Suspension
Ridetech Shockwaves
5.0 w/ Viper t56
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Return style is better with the parts available to us.

1965 Mustang
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Return style is better with the parts available to us.
This is what I'm learning. Modern cars with returnless systems are using electronics to control how much (or how fast) the FP runs. This is good for emissions as well for the longevity of the pump. When sitting at a stop light, fuel is reduced to a trickle, and downhill almost none at all. Our options for returnless systems don't do this at all. It just moves the regulator into the tank. However, I do like the idea of putting the regulator outside the tank, but next to it. This is the best of both worlds. Thanks @cougar70 for the pic. I didn't know that existed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 PM

The Holley "drop in Pump" is currently the leading contender to replace the Spectra EFI crap on my current setup. I'll just run the return into the gas tank drain plug. I look at the return system as kind of cooling system for the TBI.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Many new EFI options have popped up in just the last year. Some of the tanks and modules Holley now sells are the same as Tanks Inc. I was browsing Holley and I saw the picture below. A returnless Mustang tank with fuel hose. Holley sells reasonably priced hoses and fittings; VAPOR GUARD.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:54 AM

Garage
1. Any point in the fuel system where the I.D. is choked down is your hose size. so if the Holley outlet is 5/16, don't sweat running new line.
I ran 1/4" on my EFI feeder and the Tanks Inc. supplied 3/8 for a return since the OEM hard lines on my Fox EFI were 1/4" anyway.

2. Real estate is very valuable, so any space you don't have to use for fuel line is good.

3. Not many people seem to run into this, but my 2 1/2" tailpipes cook the fuel causing extremely aggravating vapor lock issues without the help of the return system to cool the fuel. So having a long return line seems to help.

4. The Corvette regulator/filter I believe runs 58 PSI or so, which may jive with the Holley system(not sure). This came with my Tanks Inc setup and looks to be pretty cool wherever you put it if it works with your system. (Mine came labeled LS, so I assume it's geared more for that engine setup.)

Best of luck, and hope you tell us how the setup you end up with works!

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Front disk 4 piston calipers and 8cyl manual steering.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page