LS Swap Radiator - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GypsyR
  • 1 Post By 1ofAMillion+
  • 1 Post By jdub

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

LS Swap Radiator

Bet that got everyone's attention!

Has anyone thought of using an LS Swap Radiator in their 65-66 Mustang?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-35201

The inlet and outlet are almost in the right location, it's a dual-pass crossflow radiator which is supposed to be good, and at 22" wide overall it should fit better than the later 24" Mustang radiators.

Pros? Cons?

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 05-22-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:01 PM

I used a similar BeCool radiator on my project and it was more of a pain in the *** than it was worth. I had to get brackets welded to the sides for mounting and make up by own brackets to weld to the core support.

I should have done the typical 24" radiator swap that used a 68 big block radiator and have been done with it.

The only picture I could find with mine installed.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Well, if you REALLY like doing things the hard way...get a radiator that kinda sorta almost fits your car and wear yourself out making it work. A friend gave me a spare/leftover from his race car. Yep, I made it fit. And nope I will NOT be doing that again. I actually traded it off to another racer and put the original radiator I had back in.
Grimbrand likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

So the dual-pass crossflow design is simply not worth the hassle?

1965 Mustang
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM

IMO once you are cooling "good enough" during a worst scenario situation anything more is wasted. I can see during a custom build with turbos or other big HP plans to get all the upgrades as possible and doing what it takes to install won't seem like any more work. The x-flow and dual pass are each upgrades but "worth the effort" when a few inches wider will do just as well?
In my mind this would be an easier install. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-...let,23877.html
Grimbrand likes this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM

^^^^^^^^ooops, I saw the mounting flanges, I didn't see how wide it was.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Dealing with everything you need to do to burp a crossflow system would be a big PITA.

I'm sure there are plenty of guides on how to make this all happen, but given how well a 3 core 24" radiator cools, when combined with the 7 blade factory fan (or electric fans if you're so inclined!) it does seem kind of silly.

Having 'overkill' on your cooling system isn't a bad thing! But creating tons of work for a marginal gain like this, and adding future complication? Seems like trying to invent a wheelless wheelbarrow to me. It's a solution to a problem that just doesn't exist.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Dealing with everything you need to do to burp a crossflow system would be a big PITA.
I've had a dual crossflow radiator in my 65 since the late nineties. Bought it because a guy with a radiator shop did made-to-order aluminum radiators cheaper than I could buy one from Summit at the time. The old three core brass radiator I had was marginal for my 351w and the tuning abilities I had at the time. Never had an overheating problem since. For me it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't know about the LS swap radiator posted in jdub's OP, but I never had an issue with burping the dual crossflow either. In my case it required nothing more than a factory radiator did. Yes I did need custom brackets but the guy made plastidipped mounts that I just had to drill a couple extra holes for. That didn't bother me, and certainly wasn't difficult.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 AM

If you have a cheap solution readily available, and decide to invest a lot of elbow-grease instead of dollars, I get it. But there are a ton of big-block radiator setups that won't break the bank, possibly even used and locally for you. Having a tried-and-true solution instead of "Well, I guess this could work..." seems like a better deal to me.

A lot of guys have persistent trouble with homemade cross-flow radiator setups. I've never seen anyone with a factory big-block radiator have trouble with cooling.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM

A factory big block radiator in a 65-66 WILL mean cutting the radiator support to make it fit. There's that elbow grease again. Not exactly a bolt in, but it's up to jdub.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't mind cutting stuff. The 24" later radiator is the route I probably will go. I just wanted to see if the increased "technology" of the of dual-pass crossflow design was superior enough to bother with CONSIDERING these LS Swap Radiators for Chevelles and stuff BECAUSE they seem to be close to the right size and configuration for not that much money.

As far as mounting, have you guys seen how radiators are mounted in new cars? You could zip-tie it in place and it would probably be as secure as a early 2000s Kia radiator. You don't need any brackets on the radiator itself. You could bend up some steel "L" shaped brackets to cradle the radiator on the bottom, welded to the radiator support, maybe with rubber insulators between the bracket and radiator, and then up top you could devise another set of "L" brackets, and bolt it to the radiator support on the sides with nothing more than a simple tab on top. This would mean in the future you could just unbolt the top tab, remove your hoses and just slide the radiator out if you had to remove it. It just depends on if you care about drilling and cutting your radiator support (which you have to do anyway for a 24" radiator), but my philosophy is if you can cut it off you can weld it back on.
jgrote likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 PM

I think it accepted that the crossflows are better but I'm not sure why, might just be safety. The dual pass would seem logical since each bit of water would be contacting the tubes twice as much but you could argue that it has to move twice as fast through the same capacity loop if it were wide open
Luckily on my '66 I was able to swap my 18" for a 20" and it did all I needed, only about $25 from autozne convinced me to try. It only needed a bit of trimming on the sides and still mounted with bolts on the side flange so it was easiest.
Before I found that out i was price shopping all around and found these @Speedway that are very similar to the LS swap ones. I thought of it as a quadruple upgrade, wider, aluminum, x-flow and dual pass, you can get 22"-30" wide and they were all only $179 https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...?sku=917340-22

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I think it accepted that the crossflows are better but I'm not sure why, might just be safety. The dual pass would seem logical since each bit of water would be contacting the tubes twice as much but you could argue that it has to move twice as fast through the same capacity loop if it were wide open
That is assuming the capacity for flow is equal between the original design 3 row x 3/8"(?) core radiator and modern 2 row by 1" core aluminum radiator commonly used for comparison in our hobby. I would propose the aluminum core version has far less resistance to flow due to greater capacity of the tubes so it flows more through equal widths of core. It would not need to flow twice as fast to get a similar volume through a core that is effectively half as wide. Maybe faster, but not twice as fast. The relative rate of flow of the cooling system as a whole would remain unchanged between these differing combos as it is driven by the same water pump. That is, unless the radiator in either case is a bottleneck in the system. And as you pointed out, the coolant would be traveling through a core that is twice as long potentially cooling it even more before returning it to the heat source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page