Wilwood Rear Disc Kit and Axle End Play - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GT289

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Wilwood Rear Disc Kit and Axle End Play

I installed a Willwood rear disc brake kit # 140-11403 on my stock OE 9" rear axle in my 70 Mustang and found .028 of axle shaft end play. This could cause pad kick back and wear to the housing tube ends. After I measured everything and determined that the axle retainers that came in the kit do not account fully for the thick Wilwood backing plates/caliper brackets I contacted Wilwood. I sent them photos and videos with measurements and Wilwood's response was "the kit was as designed".
I did not have axle play with the stock drum brakes or with the cheap disc kit I had removed that used GM calipers and steel brackets but Wilwood is just wrong on this. Their backing plate is aluminum and thicker, the provided axle retainers do not make up the difference in the extra thickness. I had to make shims to take up the difference. I don't know if anyone else had this issue but make sure to check for axle play (in and out) if you install a Wilwood kit with the drum style parking brake.
The brakes do work well, especially the parking brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
I'm pretty sure I have the same problem as you. During hard cornering, I experience pad knock from my rear Wilwood discs- the pedal is momentarily spongey until the caliper pistons come back into position.

I've read that the supplied axle retainers are junk.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Good information guys.

I put wilwood disks on the front of my '65 back in the day (like 20 years ago) when there weren't a lot of other options. While they work well for me now, that particular kit changed the required backspacing on the wheels, meaning I had to replace my front wheels and that pretty much blew my budget on the project.

At the time I was active on the boards of the day and even made a web page about my project. One day I got a call from someone at Wilwood saying one of their Vice Presidents saw my page and didn't agree with what I had published about them. He was kind of all pissy about it. I thought I just presented a good project write up with the good and bad and issues uncovered. It wasn't some sort of "Wilwood Bashing" page. I told him if they had a problem with me to send me a letter for my attorney to review. That was the last I ever heard from them. Seemed pretty arrogant to me at the time.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:50 PM

I thought to some degree kickback is an inherent problem with semi-floating rear axles ?

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
Good information guys.

I put wilwood disks on the front of my '65 back in the day (like 20 years ago) when there weren't a lot of other options. While they work well for me now, that particular kit changed the required backspacing on the wheels, meaning I had to replace my front wheels and that pretty much blew my budget on the project.

At the time I was active on the boards of the day and even made a web page about my project. One day I got a call from someone at Wilwood saying one of their Vice Presidents saw my page and didn't agree with what I had published about them. He was kind of all pissy about it. I thought I just presented a good project write up with the good and bad and issues uncovered. It wasn't some sort of "Wilwood Bashing" page. I told him if they had a problem with me to send me a letter for my attorney to review. That was the last I ever heard from them. Seemed pretty arrogant to me at the time.

Phil
Phil,

Your experience don't surprise me at all. Back in those times, companies were very easily triggered by anything published on the internet, that was even was remotely perceived as negative. Word around the campfire is that Wilwood has always had a bit of an arrogant culture in general. Companies have learned to better manage themselves with respect to online "buzz" and I believe negative experiences to ultimately force companies to improve their products. We've come along way since the early days of online forums.

My recent experience with Baer has been excellent and I consider their products to be top notch (I didn't always feel this way).

As for the OPs issue, it certainly seems to be a problem. I wouldn't want .028" end play when it should realistically be close to zero.

I am assuming the bearing retainer plate was installed with the lip facing the bearing?

Andrew

My YouTube Channel. Please subscribe.
Instagram @projectgattago

Last edited by andrewb70; 05-26-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:19 PM

^ Andrew is spot on about the attitude at Wilwood. I was there a couple years ago with the current company I work
for and they were pretty adamant they didn't want to even entertain better pricing for better quality product.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, one of my accounts is Baer Brake..... much easier to deal with.

Craig's situation with end play (and Wilwood's response) therefore doesn't surprise me. Some companies I don't
even bother contacting..... I just fix the issue and move on.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
andrewb70 likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page