Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Theoretical discussion: Fender braces

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  stephen_wilson 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen something similar for a classic mustang? This is on a Miata, and I really don't know how effective they are in that application. The idea is to tie the top of the shock tower to a solid mounting point on the unibody near the frame rail. They don't come stock on a Miata, but some people swear by them...and there ARE factory uses of this type of brace in the FRS/BRZ, so Toyota and Subaru engineers saw some value in tying this area together in their flagship sports car(not that the BRZ or FRS are known for power...but they are known for handling). Obviously if this idea were adapted to a classic mustang the mounting points would be different(since the door hinges are NOT a solid mounting point in these cars) possibly something like the outer shock tower to the torque box area to the cowl tank area. Seems like these would prevent more flex mainly under braking and/or heavy acceleration...similar to subframe connectors. Not sure if/how effective they would be, but extra chassis bracing couldn't hurt(if hidden under the fender). Miata guys like them...but that is no surprise, since it reduces convertible cowl shake and not all of them have hardtops to help with that issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Boss 429 cars had under fender reinforcements to help with the extra weight of the engine and the modified shock towers. If one were to copy this and add additional reinforcements in the cowl area sides to help direct the load to the A pillar / rocker area (much like the Miata reinforcement) it would help.

Attachments

#4 ·
Several years ago there was a company called "Julians" that built a '65 or '66 mustang, and used a fabricated tubular frame work in that area of the cowl as well as under the dash and firewall. I used to have the site bookmarked, but the owners apparently took it down.

#6 ·
I followed something similar when I did the chassis for my build. It was interesting to attempt to hide all the extra supports (this was done to a '70 Sportsroof) under all the stock appearing sheet metal.

I installed a 1" x 1.5" x .120" tube across the firewall with threaded bungs for the export brace

Several pieces of 1" square .120" wall tube to the A pillar (which extends up inside beside the windshield) and down to the rocker

Then attaching the tubes in the cowl to the shock towers, which I am going to cover with sheet metal at some point.

Attachments

#7 ·
#10 ·
The thing I don't like about the MTF brace is that it ties into a fairly flat portion of the firewall. A "dead node" in roll bar parlance. It would be much stronger/stiffer if it tied into the corner of the cowl/firewall junction like Lato and the factory 429 did. The cowl side is already stronger on the 69-70 with that added bulged panel.

#11 ·
A picture I saved from someone working on what appears to be maybe a '66? But it caught my eye as interesting and quite solid looking. I do have a limit of how much overkill I'm willing to go. Nice looking stuff here but just over that limit of what I want to get into. Plus the added weight has little appeal to me on my non-race car that is already sporting more racy bits than it seriously ought to. And is heavier than I would like.

#12 ·
Not bad, though there appears to be a few tubes of questionable benefit. The weight penalty would be lessened if these were of 1/16" wall instead of 1/8". The better weight/benefit area will still be bridging the cockpit/door opening area: torque boxes, 'vert rockers, SFC, roll cage that sort of thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.