Which car should I focus on?? Opinions wanted - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Which car should I focus on?? Opinions wanted

I know they say opinions are like a******s, but Id like to hear what you guys think about my predicament. Heres my current situation- Im itching to start a project and I have a couple options that I want to get opinions on. Im posting this in the mod and custom section because that is the direction i want to go with which ever car i decide to do. Heres the cars;

1966 coupe- Bought this car in high school as a T code, did a very basic 302 & 4 speed swap. Replaced suspension, brakes, rear, etc to mostly stock. The body and paint are in decent shape, frame is good.

1967 S code GTA fastback- My dad bought this car about 16 years ago and it had been restored mostly to stock. Paint and body are decent, frame is good. He is letting me do whatever I want with it as it will be my money going into fixing it up and the car will be mine

1967 fastback Eleanor rolling shell- A close family friend is offering to sell me his unfinished eleanor project. Body and paint are completely finished, high dollar paint and body kit. Has coilover front suspension and leaf w/9" rear. Shelby Baer brakes. No engine or trans or interior. Would have to sell the 66 and 67 to buy this project.

Whichever route i go, I want to go with a full coilover suspension, most likely SoT, mini tubs, 4 wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering. If i do the 67 gt, I would like to have that 390 re built to around 500hp. If i do the 66 or the eleanor, id go with a small block stroker. TKO 600 5 speed trans for all three options.

Thanks for reading the nonsense thats going on in my brain right now. What would you do

-Spence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
My vote - 67 S code GTA, just cause it has the family connection and your Dad is offering it to you.

Ask yourself, when it is completed (I know they never really are), which car will give you the most satisfaction? Which car will you talk about the most with your family?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hildago View Post
My vote - 67 S code GTA, just cause it has the family connection and your Dad is offering it to you.

Ask yourself, when it is completed (I know they never really are), which car will give you the most satisfaction? Which car will you talk about the most with your family?
Definitely good points. I definitely love a classic fastback gt, and maybe the eleanor thing is overplayed but im wondering if its a waste of a mostly original S code gta by doing mini tubs, 3 link rear end and 5 speed? hmmm more to contemplate. Thanks 68hildago
68Hildago likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Dimples

Garage
66: Do what it takes to make it enjoyable to drive on a sunny day without the little issues (whatever they may be) annoying you. This way you always have access to a fun car when the weather is nice and you're not stuck forever in project status with at least one of them.

67 GTA: let this be the long term project. Make it what you want, and take the time to do it right. You have your 66 to keep you motivated in the mean time. (side note: if you're not hugely motivated by sentimentality of it being your dad's car, and it seems like you aren't, consider selling it to finance a plane jane, non-S code 67 fastback build. S-codes are rare and expensive, and it could do a lot to finance your un-reversable mods like minitubs. Or not, whichever)

Eleanor Project: Tell your close family friend to pound sand. Eleanor is a played-out whore of a car and can't hold a candle to a 67 S-Code fastback. The thought of selling one (and a solid 66 coupe) to finance an Eleanor build makes me want to punch a baby.

How's that for an opinion? lol

The anvil of reality.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
I would vote for the 66 coupe. Why? Because it is a very common car, nothing rare and it is your car. I personally would keep the GTA stock. The Eleanor is of course nice and very tempting, BUT not worth to sell both other cars. Keep in mind projects never end on time. This means you will not have a car for a while. If you do the 66 you can cruise with the 67 GTA
jspencerfielding likes this.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM

I only like about 1/2 of Elsinors body work and find the color combo passe and fit for only the fast&furious set. If you were flipping it it would be different because there are still more folks with money that want one because they saw an expensive one once and don't really want a classic car. Actually I feel the same for coil overs and mini tubs. Like do you want a corner carver or a drag racer or just want to do a burn out and brag at a show?

Continue the chop and hop to your hearts desire on the '66 and keep the GTA going in decent condition if you actually want a classic car.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 PM

Figure out what YOU want to do with your car, first. If you want to drive it all the time, and enjoy it as a rolling work of art, the '66 sure makes sense! You wouldn't be afraid to change it and make it the way you want it, either. It could be a REALLY enjoyable car that you can thrash and not worry about.

If you're more interested in making more of a weekender/hot rod, your dad's fastback will be worth a mint if you fix it up, and keep it (mostly) stock. FE power is legendary, even if it is more expensive than Windsor power. Fun. This is a badass car... but one that you may not want to drive all the time.

The friend's car is a product of its time. Garish and awkward in many ways, the 'cool' factor of that particular setup is not likely to age well. To me, it seems the worst of all traits. It's "nice" enough that you won't want to drive it much, and if it's an investment, it's not going to hold its value compared to the work and time put into it. But to each their own.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
66: Do what it takes to make it enjoyable to drive on a sunny day without the little issues (whatever they may be) annoying you. This way you always have access to a fun car when the weather is nice and you're not stuck forever in project status with at least one of them.

67 GTA: let this be the long term project. Make it what you want, and take the time to do it right. You have your 66 to keep you motivated in the mean time. (side note: if you're not hugely motivated by sentimentality of it being your dad's car, and it seems like you aren't, consider selling it to finance a plane jane, non-S code 67 fastback build. S-codes are rare and expensive, and it could do a lot to finance your un-reversable mods like minitubs. Or not, whichever)

Eleanor Project: Tell your close family friend to pound sand. Eleanor is a played-out whore of a car and can't hold a candle to a 67 S-Code fastback. The thought of selling one (and a solid 66 coupe) to finance an Eleanor build makes me want to punch a baby.

How's that for an opinion? lol
Hahaha well said thanks for the input. Good to have one end of the opinion spectrum well established lol. I dont hate the eleanor idea as much as you but i would definitely have a hard time parting with the other 2 cars. The main draw to eleanor is the idea of having a clean slate to start with and pretty much do whatever i want. And its a fastback. It feels kinda blasphemous to do whatever I want to the GTA. The 66 would good for going nuts on a rebuild but then its still a coupe, and Id prefer a fastback.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencerfielding View Post
Hahaha well said thanks for the input. Good to have one end of the opinion spectrum well established lol. I dont hate the eleanor idea as much as you but i would definitely have a hard time parting with the other 2 cars. The main draw to eleanor is the idea of having a clean slate to start with and pretty much do whatever i want. And its a fastback. It feels kinda blasphemous to do whatever I want to the GTA. The 66 would good for going nuts on a rebuild but then its still a coupe, and Id prefer a fastback.
There are several folks on here who have turned their coupes into fastbacks. For what its worth, I agree with everyone here. Skip the played out Eleanor project and turn your GTA into a Bullitt clone!

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9 rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member

No way I’d part with that 67 S code for the Eleanor car. That would be the car I would restore. I have a 67 fastback S code so I might be biased but it is my dream car.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I could care less. That said, I'll pass along some advice that was given to me.

The car you want is the one that even though it's covered in the driveway, or back in the corner of the shop with the engine out, you look over at it and think "Hell yes. THAT is mine, that's the one." Even when you aren't going to drive it you will just stop a minute and look at it, the that's the car. Which one will do that for you?

And you CAN have more than one you feel that way about.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 AM

What Gypsy said. Decide which one or two or even three makes YOU feel happy. And then you have your answer.

Would you pick your wife based on what a bunch of people on the internet say?

Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM

If they were mine I would invest in the 67 S-Code but keep it 100 percent stock, the way it came from the factory (very collectible car) Modifying that one will not be good for it.

If you want to go the Resto-Mod route, do that to the T Code and Eleanor since they are modified already and the mods can help them.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM

I will go along with others that I would do a little work on the 66 and make it an everyday fun car.
I would make that 67 S code a long term project, keeping it stock and bringing it out on weekends.
Not another Eleanor! Seriously, if you decide to go this route, at least make it your own.
68Hildago likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
I'm in a different frame of thought. If the S-code is in reasonable shape and wouldnt take much to get running and driving (safely), I'd do that first and use that as my enjoyable fun car.

Then I'd go nuts on the 66 coupe. Partly because i have a soft spot for them, partly because they are a dime a dozen and I dont mind cutting one up (see build thread)...but mostly because that's what I have.

I'm not sure I could care any less about an "Eleanor". They are overdone and uninteresting to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page