Subframe connectors - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Subframe connectors

So...I am getting ready to replace my floorpans using full-length patch panels and happened to run across these:

65-66 Mustang CNC Cut Floor Contoured Frame Connectors

I dont think I have ever actually seen contoured connectors before...they are appealing because they tie into the floorpans strengthening the unibody that much more. What do you guys think? I am building the car with the intention of being able to handle more than straight line acceleration...so while the acceleration help isnt too relevant to my build...the braking help subframe connectors would add would help...and since these tie into the actual unibody...maybe they will resist chasis flex as well? So far I have added torque boxes(its a 66 couple) and plan on adding a rear seat divider stiffening panel, but am stopping short of an actual roll cage(its still a street car/daily driver)
Huntingky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I wouldn't waste my time. If the floor is coming out, I would do this...http://streetortrack.com/Installing-...5-68-p-14.html

Oh wait, I did.
Caper50 and vegasloki like this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
I wouldn't waste my time. If the floor is coming out, I would do this...http://streetortrack.com/Installing-...5-68-p-14.html

Oh wait, I did.
As nice as that would be...considering torque boxes are already in place, I don't see it happening(no way I am taking them back out now). I dont think its possible to install those rockers after the fact...so subframe connectors seem to be my only viable choice...possibly with some sort of cross bracing to tie into the rocker...so any suggestions are appreciated that take into consideration torque boxes are in to stay.
Fishfreq likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Garage
The ones you posted look nice/blend well, but don't look very strong. I really like the global west subframe connectors. The optional rocker brace kit looks nicely made too.

http://www.globalwest.net/mustang-su...uspension.html

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Front disk 4 piston calipers and 8cyl manual steering. Old Air A/C system.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html

Last edited by 665spd; 06-17-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 665spd View Post
The ones you posted look nice/blend well, but don't look very strong. I really like the global west subframe connectors. The optional rocker brace kit looks nicely made too.

1964, 1965, 1966 Mustang Subframe Connector Global West Suspension
Well...12 gauge steel is 1/8" or .125...which is the same thickness as the global west connectors...so the strength is likely close to the same(well, in reality, not really since global west is DOM tubing after all). The only reasons I think the global west connectors may still be significantly better is the open-top of these ones...since they rely on the thin sheetmetal of the floor to make up the 4th side....and the fact that you lose a little more ground clearance with these vs the global west variety(on a guess, about 1/2")...however, you could potentially overcome this by boxing in a top from 12 gauge steel before ever installing them easily enough. The rocker panel "jacking rail" tie in that global west offers could easily enough be duplicated with some 1" square tubing and tie into any subframe connector really(and easier if the connector in question is not round). The real question between the 2 then becomes...is the extra unibody tie in offered by contoured connectors welded to the pans worth all the extra hassle? At the very least it would certainly make for more solid floors(not that they feel particularly weak anyway).

I dont know...I like the global west rear tie in point better...I am just trying to figure out the best option...hopefully before I install the floor pans(currently taking the old ones out). The convertible rockers would certainly have expanded options...but too late for that now.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Torsional rigidity is the name of the game. Round tubing resists
twist better than square designs.
There's some truth to the statements provided on US Car Tool's site,
they just don't tell the complete story.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely round tubing does resist twist better...round tubing is generally stronger too...this is true. The only real reason US car tool's connectors are even in the running is that they tie into the unibody along the entire length instead of just 2 points(your connectors have a much better rear tie in) it's true the floor doesnt give much extra strength...but there are some areas where it seems it could help. Forgive the example...but a ladder with no rungs will twist a lot easier than a ladder with even flimsy rungs
DonP, Fishfreq and vegasloki like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
So...I am getting ready to replace my floorpans using full-length patch panels and happened to run across these:

65-66 Mustang CNC Cut Floor Contoured Frame Connectors

I dont think I have ever actually seen contoured connectors before...they are appealing because they tie into the floorpans strengthening the unibody that much more. What do you guys think? I am building the car with the intention of being able to handle more than straight line acceleration...so while the acceleration help isnt too relevant to my build...the braking help subframe connectors would add would help...and since these tie into the actual unibody...maybe they will resist chasis flex as well? So far I have added torque boxes(its a 66 couple) and plan on adding a rear seat divider stiffening panel, but am stopping short of an actual roll cage(its still a street car/daily driver)
I like the look of them myself. I went with Spintechs and they really look factory and very strong, they did take a little massaging. I believe these might have been in the running though.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Absolutely round tubing does resist twist better...round tubing is generally stronger too...this is true. The only real reason US car tool's connectors are even in the running is that they tie into the unibody along the entire length instead of just 2 points(your connectors have a much better rear tie in) it's true the floor doesnt give much extra strength...but there are some areas where it seems it could help. Forgive the example...but a ladder with no rungs will twist a lot easier than a ladder with even flimsy rungs
Use a 923 too.....

1964, 1965, 1966 Mustang coupe and fastback Rocker Rail Support Kit part# 923

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post

Oh wait, I did.
Patrick, did you also install subframe connectors in addition to this?

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
I have never heard of anyone installing these. Seems like a lot of labor. How well do they stiffen the chassis beyond a normal sfc?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
I have never heard of anyone installing these. Seems like a lot of labor. How well do they stiffen the chassis beyond a normal sfc?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, this conversation has helped immensely. Here is what I think I am going to do. The Global West tubing is superior in strength...it just doesnt tie in all along the length...with these other contoured connectors being inferior in strength but they do tie in.....since I am talking about boxing them in on top prior to install....I might as well combine the two ideas and take some 12 gauge sheet steel, countour it to the floor pan myself and weld it to the sides of some global west connectors....creating a double box design retaining the strength of the DOM tubing, maintaining the greater ground clearance of the Global West design, and tying in along the entire length of the floor pan...sure its slightly more expensive than either option, but uses the advantages of both connectors....and adding a flat side to the GW connectors also makes a tie-in to the rocker panel itself easier(I dont have a tubing notcher)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
Sounds like a plausible plan. My limited experience says ANYTHING you install by way of subframe connectors, welded in, is an improvement. Mine are generic "ABCD Mustang and Convenience Store" brand from years ago and it is a marked improvement in stiffness that you can feel instantly. Post pics if you go the route you described. Will be interesting.

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, the Goobal west connectors are on the way...will likely buy the others as well and cut them up since the cost of flat stock is going to cost just as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page