Electric parking brake - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:52 AM

When I was in college a friend of my current girl friend mentioned she had brake issues on her early 70s Impala. At the time I had privileges at a local car dealership/shop so I had her drop by. Both front sets of pads were gone. Metal to metal pad/rotor etc. Bad enough that the drivers side rotor was gone well into the cooling fins.. That caliper/piston had extended far enough to bleed out all brake fluid. She explained that she had been driving around for over a month with her left hand pulling the e-brake release handle, left foot operating the ebrake pedal and right foot gas etc.... so yes, the ebrake has more uses than just holding the car while parked. :-)
I had numerous times thinking of/shaking my head with amazement and nightmares of her operating a vehicle in traffic like this for weeks!

As for your mod - awesome. And I commend you for your efforts. I have a 65 coupe build in work and have installed an IRS. Parking/emergency brakes are an option. I plan to instal them but am going back and forth between electric or utilizing the factory pull handle etc. I do like aspects of the electric brake but as others have eluded to I too like the option to use it as an ebrake / “emergency” brake “system” if needed. I have yet to look into the switching/logic behind their function but would like the ability to control the braking electrically via pulse or something short of either locked up or off etc..

Keep us apprised of how you configure yours.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, I wanted to follow up on my progress. I spent 2 days pouring through the 300+ pages of wiring for the 08 Passat and I found that to use the parking brake control module I would need the abs control module, the can bus control module, and one other module to get the information from the brake pedal sensor. I also needed the abs speed sensor and two buttons. Soooooo i have been researching how to use a microcontroller and I talked with one of my associates in the robotics department. I should be able to use a aArduino to run a h-bridge and all I need is a current sensing board to shut off when amperage goes up. I can use ohm's law to figure out standard amp draw and write the software to turn off after it goes just past that. Any thoughts on how you would control them?
Huntingky likes this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Are you just trying to avoid any off the shelf supplies? The M200:should handle it:

https://www.e-motioninc.com/ACTUATOR_CONTROLS_s/6.htm

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
Are you just trying to avoid any off the shelf supplies? The M200:should handle it:

https://www.e-motioninc.com/ACTUATOR_CONTROLS_s/6.htm
This is a great product but it only controls one caliper at a time and you would have to hold down the button (I think). My thought is i want a control it like a auto window where you push to activate it turns on and once the current it hit, it shuts off, the same for release. Push the button and it releases on its own. No holding, no waiting. Just push and leave. Any thoughts?
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is a great product but it only controls one caliper at a time and you would have to hold down the button (I think). My thought is i want a control it like a auto window where you push to activate it turns on and once the current it hit, it shuts off, the same for release. Push the button and it releases on its own. No holding, no waiting. Just push and leave. Any thoughts?
You would need 2, but it supports 1-touch operation.

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

You would need 2, but it supports 1-touch operation.[/QUOTE]

I have a question, does it support one push auto on and one push auto off? I've been reading on the micro controller and it can drive the motor all the way in and all the way out.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM

Yes, the controller can work on a 1-touch on/off or hold for on/off. Configurable via dip switches.

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Out of curiosity I played with the E parking brake on my wife's Audi. It doesn't "set" while moving, it goes on for a Second, then turns off again. It will however stay on if you continue to hold the button, so it does function as an Emergency brake. Final point, It is not strong enough to lock the brakes or anything, but it does provide some decent braking.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
Out of curiosity I played with the E parking brake on my wife's Audi. It doesn't "set" while moving, it goes on for a Second, then turns off again. It will however stay on if you continue to hold the button, so it does function as an Emergency brake. Final point, It is not strong enough to lock the brakes or anything, but it does provide some decent braking.
That is what the manual said when I read it. It would require 4 modules and for that function the abs module would need 4 abs wheel speed sensors to work properly.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
That is what the manual said when I read it. It would require 4 modules and for that function the abs module would need 4 abs wheel speed sensors to work properly.
Well that's not an easy project. It does show that a "manual" version could work though. As long as it doesn't lock the brakes, it still could be used as an emergency brake.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

The manual operation will work I would just have to have a separate button or mode that only goes to 1.0 amp draw to turn off and the brakes would only come in contact, the car is also a manual so downshifting is an option.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
The manual operation will work I would just have to have a separate button or mode that only goes to 1.0 amp draw to turn off and the brakes would only come in contact, the car is also a manual so downshifting is an option.
I know that here, in Russia, there are window controllers that have one-touch auto closing/opening and manual mode if button is held for more than a couple seconds. Some of them have learning function to sence when motor comes to end of travel (amp draw increase). I'm planning to install one in my fastback. Probably you can find something similar in US or on Aliexpress, for example.

'68 Fastback under restomodding
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank to Azride for the motivation to keep posting. Ok so after researching I have found that the brakes can be made to work during an emergency, they work off of the alternator or battery, if the car dies just hook up a jump box to disengage it.
Ok so me and my high school friends over at STF Solutions INC. decided on a smaller version of an audrino made by atmel and a l298n dual DC motor h-bridge. We can control the motors in both direction with one button and with a resistor we can turn off the motor when it hits 1 amp. With an existing VSS in my t-5 we can tell the system to not engage if in motion and we can manually engage the system by holding the button. After I get all of the components together I will start writing the code then it's off to 3d printing the module case and instillation.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
I know that here, in Russia, there are window controllers that have one-touch auto closing/opening and manual mode if button is held for more than a couple seconds. Some of them have learning function to sence when motor comes to end of travel (amp draw increase). I'm planning to install one in my fastback. Probably you can find something similar in US or on Aliexpress, for example.
Off topic: Did you get your money back from Robert Jackson?

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
Off topic: Did you get your money back from Robert Jackson?
no, unfortunately
but it's the only time when i got ripped-off by an American vendor. paintful one, though

'68 Fastback under restomodding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in