Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Front Brake Cooling Ducts

I’m going to be doing my first track day in August and have been gathering parts to freshen up my 67. On that list of items was brake cooling ducts. I figured it is a cheap bit of insurance to help keep my brake temps under control. Anyway, my question is... does anyone have pics or ideas they could share of how they connected the duct to the backing plate? Do you just point it at the existing inlet on the backing plate or did you add a piece of tube to the BP to then clamp the duct to? I have Granada discs on the front and I can weld, so I don’t mind cutting things up to get the best cooling effect.

Thanks for your input!
Huntingky and rpm like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 AM

I used the cobra automotive kit since I have the big Lincoln brakes. I installed a scoop on each side where the front turn signals lights go in my 69. I cut up a square abs plastic brake duct to fit that is similar to Bud Moore’s trans am car.

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM

You can rivet these to the opening on the backing plate. Just trim to fit. Use a hose clamp to secure the ducting to the flange.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...uctflanges.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShieldFlange_1562769464449.jpg (153.2 KB, 8 views)
1ofAMillion+ likes this.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:12 AM

The Granada disc brake sheet metal splash shields have a plastic air scoop attached to them. At least mine do.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65coupei6_2 View Post
You can rivet these to the opening on the backing plate. Just trim to fit. Use a hose clamp to secure the ducting to the flange.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...uctflanges.php
Seems like you would be better off with steel than aluminum...they cant weigh anything worth mentioning and you could tack weld(or seam weld if you chose) steel versions in place unless there is some need to make them able to be removed from the dust shields independently...for that matter...would be easy to fab some out of some exhaust pipe and sheet metal...or just exhaust pipe.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Great find with the aircraft source. Looks like 1/2 of race shop prices.
65coupei6_2 likes this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Seems like you would be better off with steel than aluminum...they cant weigh anything worth mentioning and you could tack weld(or seam weld if you chose) steel versions in place unless there is some need to make them able to be removed from the dust shields independently...for that matter...would be easy to fab some out of some exhaust pipe and sheet metal...or just exhaust pipe.
To each his own. I rather pay $20 for a pair that is already made. Drill a few holes and throw on some rivets. No fabbing or welding. But, like they say. It's your car, do what you want.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65coupei6_2 View Post
To each his own. I rather pay $20 for a pair that is already made. Drill a few holes and throw on some rivets. No fabbing or welding. But, like they say. It's your car, do what you want.
If you are drilling holes, you are fabricating anyway. Go down to Autozone(or wherever) buy a 6 inch section of exhaust tubing for $5, cut it into 2 2-inch sections...and after cutting whatever size hole it is out of the brake shield you simply tack weld it directly to the brake shield...same amount of time, no waiting for shipping and $15 cheaper...though not as shiny. I estimate 10 minutes per side or so...most of that spent drilling the hole in the brake dust shield...and no hardware to worry about. Your method is prettier though.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
The Granada disc brake sheet metal splash shields have a plastic air scoop attached to them. At least mine do.
pics ? mine only have a vent(louver) stamped in the metal shield

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 07-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Here is a scoop on a Granada backing plate. They were only used on 80 and maybe 79 Granadas. They feed air into the center of the rotor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ganada-backing-plate.jpg (437.4 KB, 17 views)
Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I used the CA duct kit which replaces the OEM K-H splash shields with a plate and duct attachment tube that directs air to the center of the rotor. I modified a separate front valence to attach Allstar brake duct flanges.

2nd 66 likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
Here is a scoop on a Granada backing plate. They were only used on 80 and maybe 79 Granadas. They feed air into the center of the rotor.
My backing plates look like they would accept that plastic baffle thing, but unfortunately I never got them with it. That’s a bad sign that the factory added that giant air intake to such a mild mannered car, makes me think the brakes were a bit undersized for that car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1562811820007.jpg (338.9 KB, 5 views)

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoxide View Post
My backing plates look like they would accept that plastic baffle thing, but unfortunately I never got them with it. Thatís a bad sign that the factory added that giant air intake to such a mild mannered car, makes me think the brakes were a bit undersized for that car!
That's what mine look like ,wonder if any of those plastic scoop things are available out there somewhere

Brad
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
I used the CA duct kit which replaces the OEM K-H splash shields with a plate and duct attachment tube that directs air to the center of the rotor. I modified a separate front valence to attach Allstar brake duct flanges.

Is there a specific reason why you ran the duct behind the axle?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Itís how the plates are made. Opposite side of the calipers.

Regards,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page