Disc brake rotor sizing. - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM

I'll probably go with something like this Street or Track 11'' Rear Disk Brake Kit if I add rear disks. Due to budget constraints and the fact I only do autocross and not open track I'll probably adapt a similar factory setup from a crown vic cop car.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 AM

I have done the Mustang Steve v6 brakes and I can tell you that all of the components are extremely heavy. I eventually went with the Baer SS+4 system in the front. The system uses 11x1.1" 2-piece rotors, and includes aluminum hubs, etc...everything fit great and was light weight. I have drums in the rear now, but Baer also offers the same system for the rear with an integral drum brake for the e-brake. I've been very happy with this system and it fits inside 15" wheels.

Andrew

My YouTube Channel. Please subscribe.
Instagram @projectgattago
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Funny you mention drums in an E-brake capacity. I modified Dodge Neons for a few years(turbos, engine swaps, anything and everything...surprisingly good little cars, the 1st gen ones) and I always wondered why the Sport models with rear discs had a hybrid Disc/Drum setup...the disc for normal braking, but built into the caliper was a drum/shoe setup that was only used for the E-brake...actually a clever backup I always assumed was for the event of a caliper failure.
I don't know about Neons, but some cars with this rear brake system actually use the same brake shoes as a non-disk system. Ford Explorers and Honda Odyssey with rear disks have almost every drum part except for wheel cylinders. This must have been an easy way for the manufacturers to upgrade to rear disks and not have to redesign the parking brake. It is heavy.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I'll probably go with something like this Street or Track 11'' Rear Disk Brake Kit if I add rear disks. Due to budget constraints and the fact I only do autocross and not open track I'll probably adapt a similar factory setup from a crown vic cop car.
Don't think I'd want to balance out the bias with (what I assume) will be 11"
front disc and 11" rear disc. 11" rear rotors are big on a vintage Mustang.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Tom65 likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
You'd probably be ok with stock front disc and upgraded pads..... this works fine most of the time for what you're
thinking about doing with the car. I consider the front 65/66 rotors to be marginal for track use because they do
not afford much of a "heat sink" when converting kinetic energy into heat energy and dissipating that energy.
Definitely agree. I never tracked my 65 but I gave it some seriously competitive street use. While cold, the Kelsey Hayes calipers and factory rotors stopped much better than one might expect, but I over heated them several times. Some serious fade.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
Definitely agree. I never tracked my 65 but I gave it some seriously competitive street use. While cold, the Kelsey Hayes calipers and factory rotors stopped much better than one might expect, but I over heated them several times. Some serious fade.
I did the same thing with my 66 GT when the brakes were stock. A 1/8 mile
offramp was not adequate to stop from whatever asinine speed I was going.
So I upgraded to the B302 Trans Am fronts. Problem solved.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Huntingky likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page