Is Stainless Steel Brakes Co. SSBC Dead? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 16Likes

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 AM

On a side note, someone mentioned that Baer is having issues. Anyone know what’s going on with them?

Defender of 18s!

'66 Coupe - Pro-touring in the making
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Rick, A question to your here that I've always wondered and many others as well.... Say A customer buys a SSBC kit either now or in the past... Do these kits tell you what the "Replacement Brakes Pads" are that the kits takes?!?? I know that noone (including myself) ever wants to buy a Brake Kit or a Brake Conversion Kit if they cannot get "Replacement Brake Pads" for it in the future.... I know in the past this has been an issue with some brake kit suppliers....that they don't tell the buyer what the "Replacement Brake Pads" are other than their own Proprietary Stock Number which is completely useless. This has always been a BIG Concern with many prospective buyers of Brake Kits or Brake Conversion Kits.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 AM

Garage
My 65-66 style are D-11 series just like the original Kelsey-Hayes, which means I can get softer organic, semi-metallic, ceramic, hybrid or whatever from different local parts stores or a bunch of vendors. The Granada, Versailles, Mustang II, Fox, SN-95, Cobra, etc based or genuine kits I have seen always had something in the instructions describing which pads, too. Not sure about Baer, Wilwood, etc. I couldn't afford those when I was buying full kits haha ! !

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
On a side note, someone mentioned that Baer is having issues. Anyone know what’s going on with them?
That was me. PM sent. We're not discussing that on the thread here.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
I first heard of SSBC's demise in a round about way about 3 weeks ago. We were discussing Wilwood out in the

field at a shop and I was told by the owner (direct account with Wilwood) that they're having trouble keeping up

with demand and that their order shipments are 2-3 weeks behind. Wilwood's business increase cannot be attributed

completely to Baer Racing's current wobbly business situation (Baer is an account I sell product to), so there

must be another cause...... ergo, they've picked up the business SSBC had AND are making hay against Baer's

sales as well. That makes sense since all the pieces fit together.

Hey GT289, any chance you can elaborate on the Baer situation?
I am looking at getting so Baer brakes for my 65 fastback.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1965 Fastback 289 P0NYCA

www.P0NYCA.com
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Rick, A question to your here that I've always wondered and many others as well.... Say A customer buys a SSBC kit either now or in the past... Do these kits tell you what the "Replacement Brakes Pads" are that the kits takes?!?? I know that noone (including myself) ever wants to buy a Brake Kit or a Brake Conversion Kit if they cannot get "Replacement Brake Pads" for it in the future.... I know in the past this has been an issue with some brake kit suppliers....that they don't tell the buyer what the "Replacement Brake Pads" are other than their own Proprietary Stock Number which is completely useless. This has always been a BIG Concern with many prospective buyers of Brake Kits or Brake Conversion Kits.

)

Tony K.
Yes they do. Both my front kit (A120-10 are FMSI# D531 - 99 Mitsubishi GT3000 Vr4) and rear (A111-2 are FMSI# D347 Ford 97-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) SSBC disc brake instructions tell me what pads will fit, and what car they came from. Now, if I could also find out what rotors are good for replacement that would be even better.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Yes they do. Both my front kit (A120-10 are FMSI# D531 - 99 Mitsubishi GT3000 Vr4) and rear (A111-2 are FMSI# D347 Ford 97-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) SSBC disc brake instructions tell me what pads will fit, and what car they came from. Now, if I could also find out what rotors are good for replacement that would be even better.
Rotors are the biggest problem. I don't believe there are off the shelf rotors for some of these conversions. They were probably custom manufactured in Taiwan with a minimum bulk order. There were no Thunderbird Turbo Coupes after 1988. Maybe rear rotors from the Fox-body Thunderbirds of the 80s will work. But if the rear brakes really are based on the 90s Thunderbirds the rotors might be custom because those cars have a funny 4.25" bolt circle. And there were 2 different width rotors during that model run. Possibly someone has confused turbo Thunderbirds with supercharged ones. They are completely different. Confusion reigns supreme!

Last edited by cougar70; 09-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Garage
Sorry, I meant to put in 87-88.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE.....
I had used my credit card with USAA bank.
Was able to file a dispute, USAA put the money back on the card within a few days.
Confirmed that it was perm. a few weeks later.

I ordered from Sean at Street or Track, whom I have ordered suspension parts from before.
He interacted with me several times, shipped immediately.
His rear brake setup looks to be the most simple I could find, uses a separate drum/shoe from the disk like newer cars.
Overall the parts look better than his picts and U-tube, so very happy it did not work out with SSBC.
About to install.

Lee
Shaun, j persons and rusty1161 like this.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I think others would like to know about non commie alternatives!
We are in Michigan! - Street or Track LLC

Calipers, rotors, bearings, pads, brackets, hats all machined/made in the USA.

I have lots of race tires I need to buy, and a new motor so no plans of shutting up shop anytime soon!

If anyone is looking for a brake system please let me know.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Brake-S...uide-p-11.html
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I'm not the least bit surprised of other companies like "STreet or Track" above willing to pick up the slack of SSBC's demise...

Gotta love a FREE MARKET SYSTEM!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I have lots of race tires I need to buy, and a new motor so no plans of shutting up shop anytime soon!
It's always something. I'm feeling the need for a 3 link rear to match my front suspension to take my car to the next level.
Shaun and Rowdy like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My65Fastback View Post
Hey GT289, any chance you can elaborate on the Baer situation?
I am looking at getting so Baer brakes for my 65 fastback.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM sent to you.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page