Is Stainless Steel Brakes Co. SSBC Dead? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Is Stainless Steel Brakes Co. SSBC Dead?

After a very helpful call with SSBC I ordered a kit on May 31 2019, now July 11, they will not answer phone or respond to emails.
I get that supply chains may cause a long ship time, but the order on their web site shows "new" I have tried to contact them multiple times a day for 2 weeks.
So I am wondering now if they took my money and then closed their doors.
Certainly if I had an issue they are not there to help.
So far I have made one more email attempt/phone call and am now filing a dispute to the charge via my bank USAA.
Kinda sad as I have used their kits more than once, my first was probably 30 years ago.
Do not see any news updates on their web site for years either.
So what is up with these guys did they die?

No doubt they are on the fast track to death if they can not maintain their customer communication channels.

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Lee I was wondering that myself, I live in NY and tried to contact them recently, by phone and just keep getting a busy signal, and I see that suppliers that used to carry their products regularly are marking them down to clearance... I think they're done...but can any VMFer confirm this? It would be a shame to loose this company that was there from the earlier days of the Mustang Restoration revival that started in the 70s...and well sadly seems to be fading from the landscape in some parts of this country! They're probably facing a lot of competition with all the versions of brake conversion systems available these days, maybe that is what finally put the nail in the coffin?

Anyone care to chime in?

Yukon
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Yup... They're Gonzo. Dead... R.I.P.

If you placed an order....Hope that you placed it on your credit card....This way you can get a refund from your Credit Card company.

People have been getting F'd over since March 2019...and some ever earlier than that. Amazingly, They are still taking orders, cashing checks.... My guess is that they are trying to pay off their creditors. Summit is still selling their stuff too... Everyone is trying to keep the fact that they are out of business so that they can sell out any current inventories without having to discount them yet. Too bad, The secret is out. Don't place an order through their website...or you'll get screwed.

Read some of the recent horror stories here..

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ssbc-perfor...stems-clarence

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"So I am wondering now if they took my money and then closed their doors."

Yup, That's EXACTLY what they did.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM

I used to live about 50 miles from SSBC and have a friend who lives close to them. From what he tells me, the current generation of the family running the business treated it like their personal piggy bank and bled the business dry. It sounds like they hosed their employees too.
About 15 years ago my Dad bought a beautiful Nevada Silver '71 Corvette convertible from the owner of SSBC, it still had the paper decals on the chassis. That guy had a warehouse with quite the collection of spectacular cars at the time.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Yep, the place I purchase my parts from was hosed by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
After a very helpful call with SSBC I ordered a kit on May 31 2019, now July 11, they will not answer phone or respond to emails.
I get that supply chains may cause a long ship time, but the order on their web site shows "new" I have tried to contact them multiple times a day for 2 weeks.
So I am wondering now if they took my money and then closed their doors.
Certainly if I had an issue they are not there to help.
So far I have made one more email attempt/phone call and am now filing a dispute to the charge via my bank USAA.
Kinda sad as I have used their kits more than once, my first was probably 30 years ago.
Do not see any news updates on their web site for years either.
So what is up with these guys did they die?

No doubt they are on the fast track to death if they can not maintain their customer communication channels.

Lee
I first heard of SSBC's demise in a round about way about 3 weeks ago. We were discussing Wilwood out in the
field at a shop and I was told by the owner (direct account with Wilwood) that they're having trouble keeping up
with demand and that their order shipments are 2-3 weeks behind. Wilwood's business increase cannot be attributed
completely to Baer Racing's current wobbly business situation (Baer is an account I sell product to), so there
must be another cause...... ergo, they've picked up the business SSBC had AND are making hay against Baer's
sales as well. That makes sense since all the pieces fit together.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Can't say I'm surprised to see a family business not only destroyed by the younger generation, but also the good name dragged through the mud as they use it to commit fraud after the fact. I bet if you got them in a room they could come up with a million reasons why defrauding their customers is a legitimate thing to do because they deserve the money. If you're successful you have to be very careful not to raise narcissists that you'll eventually be handing the keys over to.

1965 Mustang
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 PM

If you need replacement parts - calipers and/or pads, anyone know compatibility with other parts or are we stuck retrofitting the whole system?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM

Man, that sucks. There should be a law that when a company goes under, owners become personally liable for any money stolen that is not traceable to a good faith transaction.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Read some of the recent horror stories here..

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ssbc-perfor...stems-clarence
They must have been sucking for awhile. Negative reviews going back to 2014.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspitale View Post
If you need replacement parts - calipers and/or pads, anyone know compatibility with other parts or are we stuck retrofitting the whole system?
Depends upon what you need. Rotors with them are always tricky. I think a lot of them were specifically
made for SSBC by an outside vendor. Who that company was is a good question.
Cast iron "factory" style calipers were probably originally gotten from Ford and then prints were drawn up
and an outside vendor cast them up. A lot of the rear ones ID out as Varga, one of the OE manufacturers
for Ford. May have been Brazil-sourced. I've heard that rumor.
(87/88 T-bird rear calipers is what my rear disc kit uses- says so right in the kit's installation instructions)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 PM

I looked into SSBC as an American made alternative to all the China repo's on my front disk brake conversion. I ended up with Mustang Steve brackets with rebuilt Ford calipers and EBC US/UK made rotors and pads. It stinks that they screwed some people on the way out but few want to pay for something not made by a communist dictatorship these days.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Man, that sucks. There should be a law that when a company goes under, owners become personally liable for any money stolen that is not traceable to a good faith transaction.
Corporate and bankruptcy law both provide for this … provided it's within a certain time frame, usually the past 3 years.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I looked into SSBC as an American made alternative to all the China repo's on my front disk brake conversion. I ended up with Mustang Steve brackets with rebuilt Ford calipers and EBC US/UK made rotors and pads. It stinks that they screwed some people on the way out but few want to pay for something not made by a communist dictatorship these days.
There are still several manufacturers of high/higher end brake components. Getting a direct bolt on for a classic Mustang is a bit trickier but they’re out there. These guys tanked because they weren’t very good not necessarily because of low cost imports.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in