Electric Fan and Relay Kit - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Electric Fan and Relay Kit

I'm about to order this Champion All Aluminum Radiator Plus Ledfoot Racing Shroud &16" SPAL Medium Profile Fan
https://www.championradiators.com/3-...ombo-1967-1970
I'm considering the 2 row version but am leaning heavily toward the 3 row.

In any case, I need a sensor and relay. And I'll probably just order the one that is offered by Champion but it seems kind of expensive. I don't mind spending a little extra for good quality, but I also don't like throwing money away on overpriced parts. https://www.championradiators.com/Single-Fan-Relay

I'm asking for opinions on whether this $60 relay kit is fair, or if I should shop elsewhere. And if so, recommendations.

This is for a stock 5.0 EFI AOD. I may do Heads, Cam, Intake as I already have the parts. But I will be staying with the 5.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM

What is the CFM of the Spal fan? You will need about 3000CFM to cool a small block. That's a pretty good price for that relay kit.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Garage
I use the EC340 2 row in my 66 with an Imperial 16" puller and a Gano filter
I only use the fan when idling ,stop n go, or wating in line at autox events
I built a stand alone harness with a relay and toggle switch ,no sensor
keeps my Edelbrock headed B303 cammed GT40P under 200

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 07-11-2019 at 10:47 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
What is the CFM of the Spal fan? You will need about 3000CFM to cool a small block. That's a pretty good price for that relay kit.

I am trusting Champion to have properly sized the fan. The shroud also covers the entire surface but I'd have ask them about CFM. The other 16" medium profile fans on their site are advertised as CFM: 1604
https://www.championradiators.com/SP...m-profile-fans

I see a lot of Champion radiators on this site and figured they were a good trusted brand.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I use the EC340 2 row in my 66 with an Imperial 16" puller and a Gano filter
I only use the fan when idling ,stop n go, or wating in line at autox events
I built a stand alone harness with a relay and toggle switch ,no sensor
keeps my Edelbrock headed B303 cammed GT40P under 200

I'm building this car to be a daily driver. I don't want to have to remember to turn on the fan. And while I can save some money and weight with the 2-row, I will also be cooling the AOD, and hope to someday even have AC.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM

I have a similar setup for my '67 EFI AOD conversion, used the Champion 339 radiator. Be sure to check the clearance between the fan and water pump. Due to interference, I ended up not being able to use the electric fan and had to use a clutch style fan with a '70 shroud. I even moved the radiator forward some by modifying the support. You may not know until you actually have the setup in your hands and attempt to test fit it. What year is your car?

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I'm about to order this Champion All Aluminum Radiator Plus Ledfoot Racing Shroud &16" SPAL Medium Profile Fan

In any case, I need a sensor and relay. And I'll probably just order the one that is offered by Champion but it seems kind of expensive. I don't mind spending a little extra for good quality, but I also don't like throwing money away on overpriced parts. https://www.championradiators.com/Single-Fan-Relay

I'm asking for opinions on whether this $60 relay kit is fair, or if I should shop elsewhere. And if so, recommendations.

This is for a stock 5.0 EFI AOD. I may do Heads, Cam, Intake as I already have the parts. But I will be staying with the 5.0.
Well, considering that you can get a 3-row aluminum radiator on Ebay for $125 shipped...or a radiator/shroud/fan combo for $200 shipped, I would say you are overpaying for that portion. Every single radiator and intercooler I have ever bought off of ebay has been good quality and never given me any problems.

Same thing with the relay wiring kit...equivalent $10-$20 on Ebay shipped. Wiring and relays are another thing I have had good luck with ebay purchases on...those $100 universal wiring kits vs. Painless at $750 for vehicle specific for example...That universal wiring kit I bought for my last mustang was excellent quality at a low price...did have to do a little more work because it was universal, but not much.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenichou289 View Post
I have a similar setup for my '67 EFI AOD conversion, used the Champion 339 radiator. Be sure to check the clearance between the fan and water pump. Due to interference, I ended up not being able to use the electric fan and had to use a clutch style fan with a '70 shroud. I even moved the radiator forward some by modifying the support. You may not know until you actually have the setup in your hands and attempt to test fit it. What year is your car?

I was actually planning on using the ECP radiator fan combo until I saw AnAngryFord's elect fan post on his clearance issues and measured my clearance. The ECP fan moves 3300 CFM but won't fit.

I'd prefer to not modify the radiator support but am willing to do so if necessary.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:54 PM

I've always used relays to power electric fans, but after seeing this PWM system, that's what I'm going to use. https://www.autocoolguy.com/

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I've always used relays to power electric fans, but after seeing this PWM system, that's what I'm going to use. https://www.autocoolguy.com/
Why? Its a waste of money...a simple temperature switch activating a relay is just fine...and please dont say its because the fan will last longer....how often does an electric fan die? Once every 15-20 years? I mean seriously, for $200 you can buy a DIY Megasquirt I standaone(maybe even MSII if you find a deal) that will run fuel, spark, launch control, monitor AFRs, EGTs, any other engine parameter you have a sensor for...AND run an electric fan with variable speed control....$200 for a PWM fan controller is just a laughable waste of money when a temp switch, relay, and wiring will do the same thing for 10% of the cost
W211_RYDA likes this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
I have a Ford contour dual electric cooling fans mounted on a 24" Ford radiator & I am using the Jegs #-10570 dual fan wiring harness & relay kit to power the fans. The radiator is a direct bolt in using the the top mount for the larger radiator. Only thing I needed to do was use some aluminum angle iron tyhat I bolted to the holes on the side of the radiator flanges & mounted the cooling fdan assembly to the angle iron.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10570/10002/-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1171.jpg (553.0 KB, 12 views)
j persons and Grimbrand like this.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

Last edited by MikeG69; 07-14-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
I have a Ford contour dual electric cooling fans mounted on a 24" Ford radiator & I am using the Jegs #-10570 dual fan wiring harness & relay kit to power the fans. The radiator is a direct bolt in using the the top mount for the larger radiator. Only thing I needed to do was use some aluminum angle iron tyhat I bolted to the holes on the side of the radiator flanges & mounted the cooling fdan assembly to the angle iron.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10570/10002/-1
Do you have this running yet, any problems with the 30amp relays? I have the same fans but was concerned about the relays because those fans pull a lot of amps on start up.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you have this running yet, any problems with the 30amp relays? I have the same fans but was concerned about the relays because those fans pull a lot of amps on start up.
John, unfortunately not.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Standard 40a relays should be more than adequate for the Contour fans (assuming you're running at least one relay per fan).
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post

I'll sell you this for VMF price of $23.50 shipped
Gimpy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page