What paint on inside of tourqe box? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

What paint on inside of tourqe box?

I got a 65 mustang putting dyna corn tourqe box in they are already painted with weld threw primer i welded first one in under toe board and painted with weld threw grey primer but read its porus and only for between 2 panels and will rust so striped it took 4 hours and i painted with a spray paint called (Steel it) its used on trophy trucks undercariage real tuff and u can weld on it but u have to wait 5 to 10 days for cureing before welding so slows process big time and i still clean metal where i weld. I seen guys on the web use epoxy primer and self etch primer but was told by paint store that its primer and its porus also. Any info would be appreciated thanks! Anger and frustration is getting to me cuz not knowing what is the best way to do the job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 PM

Chuck - I don't want to make you angry or frustrated - but could I add a bit to your question please?

When putting in a new floor, toe board, seat platform and torque box - what is the best paint and technique to use on these areas - top and bottom?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

SPI epoxy primer is used as a top coat. It's even uv resistant. It is what I am using in the very areas you're asking about. https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/
latoracing likes this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
I have heard good things about Master Series Silver. I have used it on a few things and it seems tough as nails.

https://shop.masterseriesct.com/prod...8&categoryId=1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
I used the Master Series Silver paint inside the torque boxes, inside & outside the engine compartment, & in the interior firewall & floor. Inside & outside the engine compartment I then coated the Master Series Silver with chassis black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1066.jpg (470.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1068.jpg (614.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1081.jpg (440.6 KB, 12 views)

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for info who makes chassis black same company or different it seems with paint products its important that its compatible and is the chassis black gloss or semi gloss/semi flat it looks gloss in the pic
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

haha its all good frustration and anger have always been part of the building process it makes the glory when u learn and when u are driving that much better, i talk to a guy today that has been doing it for years and learn valuable information! Ford did not put any weld threw primer in between metal and did not put any paint inside the torque box so anything is better that what they did he also said they galvanized the inside of the lower rocker panels but thats it i think i would do weld threw primer between metal but on any other area any kind of rust preventive coating would work good. in torque box my friends were already painted with weld threw primer he masked off weld areas and put rubberized undercoating then welded and then shot some more rubberized undercoating with a straw into the torque box threw holes where u can to hopfully protect even more 3m makes rubberized undercoating with a red straw so u can get it in hard places and their is a sprinkler type deal u can find also. to me it would be just as well to paint with rustoleum primer and semi flat enamel instead of rubberized undercoating then shoot in the rubberized undercoating after, the spray can of (Steel it) that i used seems to be a great Quality but waiting 5 to 10 days to cure is a long time and its about 30$ a can and will still burn off near welding i tested it so its more trouble than its worth to me. The silver primer by master series seems real good 37$ a quart good price but i belive u need a real paint gun and compressor to paint it so depends on what u have and where u are building car and after u weld i would think it will also burn off some around the weld. so its up to the builder to choose what they want to use in all those areas anything that prevents rust i think is good to protect metal and new welds.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Eastwood sells an inside the frame coating kit, comes with a long tube with a nozzle on the end. Insert the tube in a hole in the chassis and spray away.
Blue Blood, DonP and cruising68 like this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 PM

You're over thinking it. Seal them up. If you don't open them up again there will never be rust inside.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
According to @Huskinhano "cavity wax" ,,sounds dirty
Huskinhano and InOverMyHead like this.

Brad
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
According to @Huskinhano "cavity wax" ,,sounds dirty
With a 1 foot wand too!
2nd 66 and InOverMyHead like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Here’s what I used. Before I installed the torque boxes I sprayed them with weld through primer. Once welded in I took a can of paint with a brakekleen nozzle with the red tube and sprayed through the holes. Honestly don’t know how well that covered but it can’t hurt.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Last edited by Huskinhano; 07-15-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM

I would have used Rust Bullet but I was low on it but I had a couple cans of Rustoleum for farm equipment. I have used that on tractor and implements in the past and it lasts for years left out in the weather so figured it would do ok sealed up in torque boxes. Used their Rusty Metal primer followed by International Harvester Black. Did same in floor supports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0240.jpg (348.8 KB, 5 views)

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
You're over thinking it. Seal them up. If you don't open them up again there will never be rust inside.
Boy, you must not live in the rust belt ! They never stay sealed 100 %, and why not take some easy extra precautions while you have it open ? At least brush on some Rustoleum, and weld-thru on the flanges, and ideally cavity wax after welding. Granted, overkill for cars that don't get driven in the rain, and are garage kept.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Eastwood sells an inside the frame coating kit, comes with a long tube with a nozzle on the end. Insert the tube in a hole in the chassis and spray away.

I used this for anything I couldnít get too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page