• 1 Post By DonP
  • 1 Post By wicked93gs
  • 1 Post By 289vert

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Ford EFI - Stock Rails - Fuel Line Parts Questions

Hello VMF,

5.0HO /AOD conversion using the Ford EFI equipment

Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Tank

My current plan is to run hard line from the tank to the front of car, then go to a soft line coming into the engine bay.
I planned to run 3/8" line for supply and 5/16" for the return.
I measured both of the stock fuel rail extensions at 5/16".
So is 3/8" beneficial at all?

With the -6 AN Tube Nuts and sleeves, I don't see any specs on fuel line sizes.

I'm pretty sure they work with a 3/8" hard line but do they work with a 5/16" hard line?

Transitioning from hard line to soft and coming into the engine bay I am looking at this bulkhead connector with a 5/16 hose. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...-31a/overview/
Is this a good choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:37 AM

I'd read Sven's blog about routing his fuel system. He has a lot of great recommendations for quality products.

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2017...-soft.html?m=1

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2017...lines.html?m=1
289vert likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:48 AM

The -6 is the spec on fuel line sizes for the tube nuts and sleeves. Every dash number is 1/16", so -6 is 3/8", -8 is 1/2".
The only odd numbered AN size that I can think of is -3, used for brake stuff.
I used teflon lined hose and correct type of AN hose end fittings for them and screwed it all together. Make one end male,and one end female, at the transition point, so they can't be plumbed incorrectly.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber70Mach View Post

That's a really nice write up. I hadn't seen that one before. Thank you for the links.
Grabber70Mach likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289vert View Post
The -6 is the spec on fuel line sizes for the tube nuts and sleeves. Every dash number is 1/16", so -6 is 3/8", -8 is 1/2".
Man. I knew this. Brain not functioning 100% at the end of day I guess. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289vert View Post
I used teflon lined hose and correct type of AN hose end fittings for them and screwed it all together. Make one end male,and one end female, at the transition point, so they can't be plumbed incorrectly.

The only hard/soft-line transition I'll have is to the stock fuel rail extensions which are 5/16" and not threaded.

How did you make this connection?

Also, as the rail extensions are 5/16", 5.16" hose should be suitable?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Hello VMF,

5.0HO /AOD conversion using the Ford EFI equipment

Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Tank

My current plan is to run hard line from the tank to the front of car, then go to a soft line coming into the engine bay.
I planned to run 3/8" line for supply and 5/16" for the return.
I measured both of the stock fuel rail extensions at 5/16".
So is 3/8" beneficial at all?

With the -6 AN Tube Nuts and sleeves, I don't see any specs on fuel line sizes.

I'm pretty sure they work with a 3/8" hard line but do they work with a 5/16" hard line?

Transitioning from hard line to soft and coming into the engine bay I am looking at this bulkhead connector with a 5/16 hose. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...-31a/overview/
Is this a good choice?
For a stock EFI fuel system at 39psi you dont even need tube nuts or anything crazy...I have often just used fuel injection line, with fuel injection hose clamps clamped to the fuel rail without any issue at all(and even upped the pressure to 50psi)..you can always use a 2nd clamp as backup for peace of mind...just make sure you are using fuel injection hose and fuel injection hose clamps(NOT the worm gear clamps that eat hoses). As for the different return line size...return line is often larger than feed line...it makes the fuel pressure regulator job easier to maintain a steady pressure. One thing I suggest is using an aftermarket FPR with a built-in gauge though...any old cheapo ebay unit will do the job(I have used a half dozen on various project without any failure ever) because you never know what the factory unit is doing...and even the cheapo ebay regulators are often a 1:1 FPR which helps, especially if you plan on boosting the engine. The online time braided steel lines and heavier duty fuel line connections is under high boost (base fuel pressure of say 43psi with a 1:1 regulator running 25psi is now 68psi...anything more than about 60psi and I step away from just fuel injection hose and clamps and start to get into AN fittings...speaking of which...easy way to convert AN to pipe thread is simply to add /16 to the AN number: 3/16=3AN 8/16(1/2)=8AN, etc(this applies to inside diameter, not to thread size, which is pipe thread flare...cant remember the degree of the flare for AN offhand)
DonP likes this.

Last edited by wicked93gs; 08-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:37 PM

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
For a stock EFI fuel system at 39psi you dont even need tube nuts or anything crazy...I have often just used fuel injection line, with fuel injection hose clamps clamped to the fuel rail without any issue at all(and even upped the pressure to 50psi)..you can always use a 2nd clamp as backup for peace of mind...just make sure you are using fuel injection hose and fuel injection hose clamps(NOT the worm gear clamps that eat hoses).

Thanks. All the AN bits and Rigid 37* flare tool add up to more than I care to spend on fuel lines. Using hose and bubble flares on the ends of the hard line is a better way to go.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Thanks. All the AN bits and Rigid 37* flare tool add up to more than I care to spend on fuel lines. Using hose and bubble flares on the ends of the hard line is a better way to go.
A bubble flare is certainly better than no flare if you have the tool, but even it is not really needed if you double clamp the line, but if you have the tool...certainly use it(a bubble flare tool probably isn't very expensive and its one I should probably invest in). I put some 80k miles on just double clamped lines on my EFI converted RA29 Celica without any issue at all...and that was a boosted car with a base pressure of 40psi that saw occasional fuel pressure spikes of up to 62psi when it hit 22lbs of boost...stainless steel lines sure are pretty...but if its not a race car(or heavily boosted street car), they aren't very practical for fuel lines. Ford does use a braided stainless line for fuel lines in a lot of applications...but they use a standard fuel line clip on those lines...so I am really not sure why they bother with them..other manufacturers use a plastic fuel line that they shrink wrap onto a barbed fitting that clips to the fuel rail so obviously the clamping pressure inst nearly as high as you would think would be required
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page