7Likes
  • 1 Post By gt350sr
  • 2 Post By wicked93gs
  • 1 Post By Rufus68
  • 1 Post By wicked93gs
  • 2 Post By Navyflyer72

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Dakota Digital VHX question

I have a 65 Mustang coupe, standard interior. Wanted to install the Dakota Digital VHX gauges in a Pony 5 gauge bezel.

I bought the kit and the install went fine right up to the point where the instructions say “re-use four of the screws that mount your old gauges to the bezel”. This is an issue, because I didn’t have any gauges...

See attached pics to help with the description in the next part:

The Dakota Digital kit came with four screws out of the eight required to mount the gauges to the bezel (why they don’t provide all eight for the price I paid I can not tell you).

Looking at them they only fit where the gauge pod was shorter (closer) to the bezel, so I need longer screws. Does anyone know either

1. Where to buy the screws I need along with the part number (because everywhere I call tries to sell me the 6 screw kit to mount the bezel to the dash)

Or

2. What is the length and screw thread pitch that I need so I can go to the hardware store and just buy some stainless steel screws.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F57A3999-9AA0-4CBB-8192-B81E317C7BBC.jpg (369.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg F3FED0BE-53AF-414E-B687-8F8C6F92CAF0.jpg (320.2 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
Been there, did that. I used the black screws that came with a set of Pioneer speakers- they were almost the exact length I needed. They came in the speaker box with the light tin spring clips, most likely meant to be used in the package tray or door install.
Navyflyer72 likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Nope, dont know...however the short screws are almost certainly the same thread...take a measurement...take the short screws down to Lowes or Home Depot and use one of their thread finder gauges and find screws that will work...most likely can be found in the specialty hardware drawers if they are some odd length...or on the shelf if its pretty standard.
Rufus68 and Navyflyer72 like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Tip: If you have to get longer screws that you will cut down, remember to buy a nut to screw on before cutting the screw. After filing the cut end, removing the nut will clean the threads.
Navyflyer72 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Good info guys, I’m going to head to the store and try and match the thread pitch and measure the length.

You’d think for over $800 Dakota Digital could throw in four more screws... they already provide the other four. (Just griping because this delays my progress...)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyflyer72 View Post
Good info guys, I’m going to head to the store and try and match the thread pitch and measure the length.

You’d think for over $800 Dakota Digital could throw in four more screws... they already provide the other four. (Just griping because this delays my progress...)
If you ask me...Dakota Digital gauges are a rip-off, though I admit the VHX gauges do look pretty cool...I would rather just buy some other stepper motor LED gauges like Marshall though...or even something a little more expensive along the lines of Greddy(if Greddy weren't all metric system) or Speedhut and then fit them into a $200 aftermarket bezel, regardless anything is better than Autometer...they are far behind the times these days.
Navyflyer72 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:39 PM

I put the Dakota Digital VHX gauges in my '68. They are really nice. I calibrated my speedo to be dead on matching my GPS. Also, the fuel gauge is easy to set up. And the two LCD screens are really nice. For normal driving I have my Speed showing in one and my RPMs showing in the other. A quick glance down lets me know the exact speed I'm travelling. Of course, it's really easy to scroll either display through the set of available information. For the price, you get the gauges and the sensors. I didn't feel like they were overpriced. Of course, I wish they were less expensive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

So I went to the local hardware store and while they didn’t have the correct 6-20 thread pitch bolts, I picked up the closest they had.

I got four stainless steel 6-32 x 1.25” machine screws and they fit perfectly. I even got four stainless steel 6-32 x1” to replace the four bolts that came with the Dakota Digital kit. All of the 6-32 machine screws fit perfectly.
Mustmatt and Rowdy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page