Oxygen Sensors - Loose Wire - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Oxygen Sensors - Loose Wire

I'm about to order new oxygen sensors. But as both sensors have the same loose white wire I figured I'd ask about it bfore throwing down the moolah. Is there a reason for this? I'm assuming I can't just stuff the wires back in and call it good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (80.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 12:58 PM

On a 3 wire sensor one wire is ground, one is o2 signal to the ecm and one is 12v positive. The ground and the 12v pos are for the heater inside the sensor. The only reason for that is to heat the sensor sooner allowing the ecm to go into closed loop sooner for emissions reasons. The original sensors only had one wire, so if that wire is part of the heater circuit you could actually use it as it is if you wanted. I'm sure you could look up the wiring schematic online.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post
On a 3 wire sensor one wire is ground, one is o2 signal to the ecm and one is 12v positive. The ground and the 12v pos are for the heater inside the sensor. The only reason for that is to heat the sensor sooner allowing the ecm to go into closed loop sooner for emissions reasons. The original sensors only had one wire, so if that wire is part of the heater circuit you could actually use it as it is if you wanted. I'm sure you could look up the wiring schematic online.

Thanks. It appears to be the ground. I'm replacing the sensors but that is good to know.

I'm reading that the heater also keeps the oxygen sensor hot even when the engine is idling for a long period of time. https://crxsi.com/info/driveability-...nd-Replace.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in