Overheat after Vintage air install - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Overheat after Vintage air install

So my '66 with 5.0 H.O. conversion worked great with stock 195* thermostat before I hooked up the air (never went above 200). Now if I sit any amount in normal traffic, it creeps to 220 pretty quickly. If I keep having to idle, it will get hotter(although I haven't tested how hot!) I have a IDK? aluminum radiator 18' tank with a 14' electric fan. I'm guessing the increased heat and restriction of the condenser is causing the situation. Question: will building/adding a shroud be enough, or will I have to rehab the whole system?? This is a super tight budget build, so I'm pinching pennies to funnel to my '69 Mach1 project. Had I known I would pony up the money for A/C, I would have planned for the 67-70 conversion when I replaced the core support month 4 of this project!! Here's an old in progress pic showing my fan/radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03950.jpg (476.6 KB, 25 views)

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.(Goes to work twice a week)
5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html

1969 Mach 1: 1000 miles (almost) to get it....in progress(slow)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...long-term.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:15 PM

Yes, your radiator needs a shroud.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 PM

A shroud will help a lot. Without one, youíre probably only pulling air through 60% of the radiator core.

Not sure it will be enough but the cheap option would be to try that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 PM

What fan do you have? How many amps does it draw?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito2.0 View Post
What fan do you have? How many amps does it draw?
Haven't tested amp draw and inherited it from PO. As previously stated the system ran like a swiss watch before the A/C install. Rock solid at 200*. It is cheap stuff with push through plastic "bolts".

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:20 AM

With A/C and an electric fan you need to force the fan on when the A/C is turned on. Is your fan wired this way? It may just be a case of not enough fan. I don't know that a shroud is necessary with an electric. I'd try a proper fan controller with the above feature (usually a blue wire) and a SPAL 16" right on the radiator. That will be an easy, inexpensive attempt at a fix. Get more complex from there.
copracr likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 AM

For effective cooling with an electric fan, you will need one with a capacity of at least 3000 CFM, and a shroud so that fan pulls air through all of the fan core and not just where the fan is. Also those plastic "bolts" sooner or later will wear a hole in your aluminum radiator.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 PM

With my setup - A/C, and a supercharger, I would see almost 250* for hot days in traffic. I never let it stay there but I did struggle to find a solution. I used a massive rad, dual pullers and a shroud. Still not enough. The solution was to get cooler air to the condenser in stop and go traffic. So I installed a small 10 inch pusher in front of the condenser and I am finally in the safety temp zone no matter what the temp (it gets to 120* here)

As mentioned, the shroud is recommended.
665spd and Fishfreq like this.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:19 PM

What condition; is the condenser? Most likely it is blocking to much airflow. What is the condition of the compressor? It could be taking too much power to turn. Likewise is the system properly charged? An over charged system will stain the compressor.

Next check your timing. Too much or too little will increase the temp.

How well does the radiator flow? A used one might have only 75% efficiency. It might need to be cleaned out and flow tested.

If these donít solve it, you are looking at getting more air over the radiator thus a shroud and or better fan option.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
What condition; is the condenser? Most likely it is blocking to much airflow. What is the condition of the compressor? It could be taking too much power to turn. Likewise is the system properly charged? An over charged system will stain the compressor.

Next check your timing. Too much or too little will increase the temp.

How well does the radiator flow? A used one might have only 75% efficiency. It might need to be cleaned out and flow tested.

If these donít solve it, you are looking at getting more air over the radiator thus a shroud and or better fan option.
I have a shroud in progress. The A/C components are brand new. Everything works well until the temps go above 90 outside. The fan runs all the time the A/C is on. Again rock solid at 200 Deg until I added the air. I wanted a pusher to add in the mix, but very little room in front.. I'll update the thread after shroud, and thanks to all!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:52 PM

Your fan looks too small for the radiator. Its cooling only about half to 2/3 of the core. If you put a shroud on it without moving it away from the core, you will just block teh airflow from the rest of the core. I would get a larger and more powerful fan to cool more of the core. You could try a good old fashion clutch fan off the surface of the radiator with a shroud...

Best thing to do is don't slow down ;o)
665spd and Fishfreq like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Your fan looks too small for the radiator. Its cooling only about half to 2/3 of the core. If you put a shroud on it without moving it away from the core, you will just block teh airflow from the rest of the core. I would get a larger and more powerful fan to cool more of the core. You could try a good old fashion clutch fan off the surface of the radiator with a shroud...

Best thing to do is don't slow down ;o)
After frustrating attempts to salvage this setup, I think you're on the nose. I found with the limited clearance from the water pump, I'm just blocking the radiator.Without the condenser mucking things up, this 13" pea shooter was doing the job. I think an upgrade is the only fix. Unfortunately, my commute is very low speed

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 665spd View Post
After frustrating attempts to salvage this setup, I think you're on the nose. I found with the limited clearance from the water pump, I'm just blocking the radiator.Without the condenser mucking things up, this 13" pea shooter was doing the job. I think an upgrade is the only fix. Unfortunately, my commute is very low speed

I have 5.0HO too. I'm still working on it and don't know if your radiator depth is similar the ECP 2-row I'm using. But I mocked it up with this 16" SPAL Medium Profile fan. It should leave me enough room for a 3/4" deep shroud.
Fan: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPU-IX-30101516
Shroud: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192738270764

Or, since you're fabbing up your own shroud, the 13" fan doesn't necessarily have to be centered. Maybe you can fab the shroud with an offset. I still think a 16' fan with a shroud would be the best route, but you did mention a super tight budget.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 AM

On my 94GT Ford used an electric Fan with integrated shroud. Itís about 1 1/2Ē thick. Itís a dual speed fan and works well. Perhaps you can find one or something similar in your local parts yard cheap.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 AM

I used a 95 GT fan. A great fan. Its about 5 1/2" depth at the motor.
Only fitted cos I'm using the shorter front accessories of the 95. It would work well on a 24" radiator ... I think ... cos it's offset in the shroud, and would put the motor further away from the water pump shaft.
A lot of people have managed to use a Taurus fan, which is nearly as good as the 95 fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page