Ken harrison 200 watt radio - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

i posted this in "vintage" a while ago, maybe i can get more responses here... i saw ken harrison now has a 200 watt version of their shaft style radio... i have a cd headunit in another car that says "180 watts" and it sounds pretty descent... would this KH radio be of similar sound or is there a difference? thanks in advance... sorry i dont know my radio stuff haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 AM
White Elephant Guy
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider
200 Watts will be peak power. Most likely 50Wx4. Remember, that's peak, which is only for a brief instant. See if you can find the RMS power, which is what the unit will deliver reliably on a constant basis. My guess is that unit will probably be putting out something like 17 - 22 Watts RMS. Is that good? Well, it all depends on the speakers you are using and what you're used to. Harmonic distortion (THD) is also important, the lower the distortion, the cleaner the sound. If you buy "better" speakers, they will often require more power to make the same amount of sound, but usually have lower distortion. Remember, power doesn't kill speakers, distortion does.

Todd Dietrich - '66 T-Code Fastback, '14 GT Premium Track Pack w/Recaros
VMF Facebook Group
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 AM

A good rule of thumb is RMS = half peak power, not entirely accurate, but it gets you closer to the RMS rating, which really matters.

1966 Coupe
Cobra 5.0L & AOD swap? T5z swap? C4? Powerglide? I can't decide!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM

If you're happy with the 180w unit, you'll probably be happy with the 200w KH unit. Speaker selection is probably more important than the head unit. You'll pay a premium for the shaft mounted unit. If your willing to cut your bezel, since you have a '68 you do not need to cut the dash, you can get more bang for the buck with a DIN size radio. For example the KH am/fm cassette 200w unit is about $200. You can get a comperable or better Alpine w/ cd & mp3 capability for ~$150. Replacement bezels can be had for about $50 if you ever want to go back to stock.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
White Elephant Guy
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider
Better yet, buy the repro and cut that, saving the original

Todd Dietrich - '66 T-Code Fastback, '14 GT Premium Track Pack w/Recaros
VMF Facebook Group
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 AM

save your money... those ken harrison stuff are garbage... i got fooled into buying one because of the looks.... they sound like garbage and they are way overpriced... I made the mistake of getting one never again. I ended up buying a panasonic Cd player unit off of amazon.com. btw watts dont mean anything... power supplies are what makes it... most radios dont have good power supplies for wattage.. but look at one with high pass and low pass filters built in and multiple rca outputs... look for ones that have at least 4 volt or 5 volt outputs they will drive an amp better with no distortion.. When i put my soundsystem in my 65 in the glovebox, i ran all the wiring to run an amp as i figured id probably put on in it at some point. now i have a box with 2 12'S and a 100 watt per channel kicker amp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison42166 View Post
save your money... those ken harrison stuff are garbage... i got fooled into buying one because of the looks.... they sound like garbage and they are way overpriced... I made the mistake of getting one never again. I ended up buying a panasonic Cd player unit off of amazon.com. btw watts dont mean anything... power supplies are what makes it... most radios dont have good power supplies for wattage.. but look at one with high pass and low pass filters built in and multiple rca outputs... look for ones that have at least 4 volt or 5 volt outputs they will drive an amp better with no distortion.. When i put my soundsystem in my 65 in the glovebox, i ran all the wiring to run an amp as i figured id probably put on in it at some point. now i have a box with 2 12'S and a 100 watt per channel kicker amp.
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the center 5 wires on the Ken Harrison VCA-BTamp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page