Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Anyone modify there non-GT rear valance for dual exhaust?

17K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Ausfox 
#1 ·
I've been searching around and the price on a GT style rear valance for a 67 is quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay. Has anyone modified their non-GT rear valance to make provisions for duals? I really like how the 65/66's had the tailpipes integrated into the circular cut-outs on the valance. If not, I still like the GT style half moon better than just 2 tail pipes hanging out in the open beneath the non-GT valance. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Shelby just cut the half moons in a standard valence and also cut the 66 trumpet trim to fit this cutout. That and some chrome slash tips, done. Do a google search of pics of 67 Shelby and I'm sure you will find a pic of it.

#3 ·
Timing is everything. I just completed the rough cut and fitting of my 67 non-gt rear valence to allow duals to go through the valence rather than using the half moon style (66 GT style). The cutout out is more of an oval than round to allow the dual tips. I can take a pic tonight when I'm back home.

As I have been having difficulties posting pics, do you want to send a PM with your email so I can send it to you?

#6 ·
Here are a few pics... keep in mind I am still finishing it and will probably put a small flange around the opening to make it look like a factory stamping. The exhaust tips are just supported in, so they are not centered or aligned. I think this will give a general idea.

Attachments

#8 ·
If you don't mind me using a '69 as an example, then yes. The repop valance didn't fit for squat so I used it as a template and cut my original. My body shop even had a machine to put the crimps around the edge.

#11 ·
Has anyone modified their non-GT rear valance to make provisions for duals? I really like how the 65/66's had the tailpipes integrated into the circular cut-outs on the valance.
I decided against the deluxe rear valance and got the plain one. Installed the 65/6 bezels and am running magnaflow 3" tips. I also shaved the backup lights for a cleaner look since the combination of tips, bezels and backup lights look was too much for my tastes.

#14 ·
I bought a repop at Carlisle for 12 bucks and reworked it to fit properly with 1/8" welding rod and lead, looks great.

#16 ·
Absolutely! I totally forgot about this thread. The flange idea worked out well too, here you go...

Attachments

#18 ·
OK, funny how this was just resolved last night at our house. Over Xmas break, i helped my boy install the Flowmaster SS exhaust on his 67. It had stock OEM rear valence and we hesitated cutting up the original valence and whether we'd like the look after anyhow. Went on Fleabay, finding one for sale by Cjpony at like $36 shipped to house. How they do this from Taiwan to wharehouse to my house and make anything....I don't know. Every bolt hole lined up last night, using OEM fastners. Fit as well as the 50 year old OEM one did. The GT cut outs matched the FLowmaster tail pipes DEAD ON. Couldn't have been happier even at 3x price. It fit as well as any aftermarket part ever has for me.

So I guess it depends on "reasonable price point" is to each, but $36 and not butchering OEM and like 12min of effort with rolled edges couldn't be beat for us. Yes you still need to paint it, but its zero rust and minimal plastic. Just my .02

#19 ·
Went on Fleabay, finding one for sale by Cjpony at like $36 shipped to house. How they do this from Taiwan to wharehouse to my house and make anything....I don't know. Every bolt hole lined up last night, using OEM fastners. Fit as well as the 50 year old OEM one did. The GT cut outs matched the FLowmaster tail pipes DEAD ON. Couldn't have been happier even at 3x price. It fit as well as any aftermarket part ever has for me.
Pictures please! :nerd:

#20 ·
If you want to cut out your own GT valance from original, making the flanges is a piece of cake.

Take a fairly large diameter bolt, cut a slot in the end the depth you want your flange, and then use that to gradually bend your flange.

Too easy.

#22 ·
I'm working on a '70 convertible with a through the valance exhaust. The backup lights had to go because it distracted from the overall theme. The tips are going to be 3" OD double wall with the edges contoured to the shape of the valance. The exhaust is 2.5" stainless with Magnaflow mufflers. The leaf spring shackles and stock style tank make for an extremely tight fitting setup on the driver's side. The valance through holes will receive a flange to open up the holes to clear the tips and to give a little more structure to the flimsy sheet metal.

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car

#25 ·
I'm working on a '70 convertible with a through the valance exhaust. The backup lights had to go because it distracted from the overall theme. The tips are going to be 3" OD double wall with the edges contoured to the shape of the valance. The exhaust is 2.5" stainless with Magnaflow mufflers. The leaf spring shackles and stock style tank make for an extremely tight fitting setup on the driver's side. The valance through holes will receive a flange to open up the holes to clear the tips and to give a little more structure to the flimsy sheet metal.

View attachment 701070
Really nice look!! What did you use as the pattern for cutting the holes?

#24 ·

Attachments

#34 ·
Hand fabricated openings and folded Alloy rectangular tips. Work in progress on a 65 Fastback.
I like that! How did you fabricate the back up lamp housings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.