Adding a cam to 1968 stock 302 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Want Help Adding a cam to 1968 stock 302

I want some expert advice on adding a cam. I have a 1968 stock 302 motor with the Edelbrock RPM Performer intake and holley 600 CFM carb.

Code on the engine is C8OE.

The car is a 3 speed with 9 inch rear end (don't know the gearing on that yet)

The problem;

I was told two different things;

Machine shop said to keep the cam at about 216 and 474 lift and not to go over that amount on lift. Kinda makes sense.

Mustang shop said to match the cam to the intake manifold, which sounds kinda okay at first.

The rpm performer cam spec is at 224/234 intake and exhaust duration
and 496/520 lift. Both numbers seem way over the specs suggested by the machine shop.

Also the specs for this cam at summit say it requires valve springs. If I have to get new valve springs how do I know what to get and how do i measure what I have and also will the increased strength valve springs be too much load for my stock heads??

I prefer to keep it simple but I want a cam that will sound good at idle and mild-moderately increase torque/hp in low to midrange.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Macster72; 04-26-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: wrong title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 AM

Do what you want - BUT

1. Always check for piston - to - valve clearance. (Use search)

2. Always install the valve springs the cam maker advises to use.

Rule #! is sometimes skipped when dealing with a known piston/cam/lifter/pushrod combination. If you don't know for sure exactly which parts you have.......see rule #1.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 AM

a cam swap with your setup won't do anything other than change the sound at idle. by anything, i mean anything you will notice from stop light to stop light. check out the 268H comp flat tappet cam. i think the comp website will also tell you which springs you should use.

Jason
'65 Fastback build in progress.
'67 Pro-Touring Fastback that does wheelies and gets 20 mpg.
October 2014 Mustang Monthly Feature Car

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

thank you

Thank you 66kcar and Jason I will follow both of your leads and any more advice is welcome.

Jason, why exactly wont the cam do anything from light to light?
Only want a mild increase in power anyway but Prefer a meaner sound at idle.

I heard of the mother thumper cam it sounds rough, dont like it at all and heard it was junk.

If anyone can make some part number recommendations at all in the summit catalog or rockauto - I'm all ears
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 AM

there are a lot of limiting factors with an otherwise stock 302 from 68 (ie. the heads, exhaust manifolds, etc.). a cam swap at that level might, for argument's sake, make 18hp more at its peak which means even less incrementally up the power curve -gains you likely will not feel. if you're going through the effort for the sound, you wouldnt be the first, but any power gain you speak of will be more of the placebo effect than anything else.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Focus on the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup351 View Post
for argument's sake, make 18hp more at its peak which means even less incrementally up the power curve -gains you likely will not feel.

Thank you, that's good to know, so now I'm more focused on the rich sound and even less on the power.

The crate motor did come with headers - they look rather generic - wish i could post a picture on here.

With all that the motor came with I would think it would have came with at least a mild cam too. are there any identifying numbers anywhere on the cams so I can tell what I have??

Last edited by Macster72; 04-26-2013 at 01:53 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Valve Springs? CAM ID Numbers on CAM??

I'm willing to upgrade the springs and whatever else I have to to go with the cam but I have to keep the cam project under $200-250 give or take, if possible cause of monetary constraints.

so... any affordable advice for an inexpensive (summit or other affordable brand) cam would be greatly appreciated.

Any discount codes for a cam upgrade would be appreciated too.

Want a good to choppy idle sound (NOT SMOOTH)

Don't want to have to install a torque / stall converter for 400-500 bucks - don't have the cash and since it's a 69 hardtop I'm already way overspent on the value of the car.

lastly - HOW DO I TELL WHAT TYPE OF CAM I HAVE - ID NUMBERS?? or do I have to measure and how would I do that??
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Macster72;4411946] since it's a 69 hardtop I'm already way overspent on the value of the car. [QUOTE]

Whats that supposed to mean?

Doing a cam upgrade as cheap as possible is not a great idea.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup351 View Post
a cam swap with your setup won't do anything other than change the sound at idle.
I would politely disagree. Most Ford cams were the proverbial broomstick; very little lift or duration. Switching from a factory cam to even an RV/towing cam would improve low end torque significantly. Of course, any other mods, like headers and dual exhaust, recurved distributor, would provide even more of a power increase. No, it won't be a street fighter. But it will provide a nice power increase.

Factory 302 heads don't flow really well. But that doesn't mean you can't build a nice street engine with factory 302 heads. People have been doing it for decades; long before the proliferation of aftermarket, aluminum heads.

Your cam choices are limited with an automatic and a factory torque converter. But I will say what I have been often repeating lately; Call Bullet cams. Tell them your specs and what you want your car to do. They will grind a custom cam specifically for you and your car. It won't cost any more than an off-the-shelf cam. Bullet will also sell you the right springs for the cam. And, best of all, they won't try to sell you something you don't need.

I just ordered a cam from Bullet for my 351 Cleveland. The guy who answered the phone was the guy who machined the cam. And he said to call him if I had any questions. That's another thing that's nice about a smaller outfit like Bullet. And boy do those guys know cams!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

cam upgrade

yes I realize that cheap is bad, Is there any way to tell what I have in there while the engine is still out of the car??

Because the engine came with some pretty good aftermarket parts I'm presuming it may have a good cam already too, how do I tell though
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Bullet

Thank you thank you - bullet cams sound like the type of people I should talk to - now were talkin!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster72 View Post
yes I realize that cheap is bad, Is there any way to tell what I have in there while the engine is still out of the car??

Because the engine came with some pretty good aftermarket parts I'm presuming it may have a good cam already too, how do I tell though
There might be a part number machined into the back of the cam. Of course, you'd have to pull the cam just to see if any numbers are there. Otherwise, your only alternative would be to use a dial indicator to get the lift and duration.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Wait a sec....so you are jsut assuming that you have a stock cam? Hve you heard this motor run?

If you have no baseline to go off of then really any aftermarket cam will "sound" better. I honestly am leaning torwards the Edelbrock perfomer/RPM myself for simplicity, but may give this Bullet place a call.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster72 View Post
Thank you thank you - bullet cams sound like the type of people I should talk to - now were talkin!
Be aware these guys are in the Mississippi backwoods. And they sound like it when you talk to them. But they really know they're stuff. They make high performance cams for drag racing and circle track as well as moderate performance towing cams and street performance cams.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I honestly am leaning torwards the Edelbrock perfomer/RPM myself for simplicity, but may give this Bullet place a call.
I ran a Performer cam in my 351W for many years. It was my daily driver. I stayed with the factory gear and factory torque converter. At the time, the Performer cam was a good choice. I was happy with it. But I'm betting Bullet can grind you something better. As many people will say, the Performer cam is an "old school" grind.

I admit I'm no cam expert. That's why I called Bullet. They are cam experts. Just be sure to have all your specs ready when you call Bullet: compression, rear gear, type of rocker arms, etc.

Last edited by Klutch; 04-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page