Best $200 mod ever (EPS). - Page 72 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 163Likes

post #1066 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenthumbs View Post
What gauge wire did you use to extend the module?
I just used some scrap wire I had laying around, think it was around 18ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 PM

I used a 4 pin male and female Molex plugs from a PC that they used to power fans and hard drives.

Larry

Larry
post #1068 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blu View Post
I used a 4 pin male and female Molex plugs from a PC that they used to power fans and hard drives.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I picked up a new Molex connector and plan to splice it inline from the power head to the module.'
I was hoping that someone knowledgable would chime in on the effect of one or more of the torque sensors becoming intermitant or open.
I just might have to experiment the situation with the unit on the bench.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)

post #1069 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechke View Post
Thanks Larry. I picked up a new Molex connector and plan to splice it inline from the power head to the module.'
I was hoping that someone knowledgable would chime in on the effect of one or more of the torque sensors becoming intermitant or open.ey
I just might have to experiment the situation with the unit on the bench.
I had not seated one of the pins properly and the result was no assist. You know something is wrong because the relay in the ECU clicks immediately instead of the few sec delay that happens when you turn the key

Larry

Larry

Last edited by Grabber Blu; 01-26-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #1070 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Can you guys refresh me on where to get the potentiometer/box I thought i had the user saved on ebay but cant find it

Jeff
1967 Mustang 302/3 Speed Build - SOLD
1965 Coupe/Fastback Conversion
1955 F100
2017 Dodge Challenger GT

post #1071 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Can you guys refresh me on where to get the potentiometer/box I thought i had the user saved on ebay but cant find it
The first link is Bruno. The others are unaffiliated. Bruno's ebay name is brunolopesantunes. There are others including one with vss capability (the last link).

Saturn Vue Ion Chevrolet Equinox ? Electric power steering controller box ? EPAS

Chevrolet Equinox - Saturn Vue Electronic Power Steering Controller KIT box epas | eBay

New Automatic - Saturn Vue / Equinox - Controller Kit Electronic Power Steering

Chevrolet Equinox - Saturn Vue Electronic Power Steering Controller box epas | eBay

NEW! Chevrolet Equinox / Saturn Vue Speed Sensitive Electric Power Steering EPAS | eBay

1965 A Code GT Fastback
Rangoon Red/Black

post #1072 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM

Theres also a US seller, it's $10 more but in CA. Welcome to ePowerSteering.com It's the same as Bruno's, in fact Bruno recommends him as a US seller

Larry

Larry
post #1073 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys, ordered from the US Seller

Jeff
1967 Mustang 302/3 Speed Build - SOLD
1965 Coupe/Fastback Conversion
1955 F100
2017 Dodge Challenger GT

post #1074 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Has anyone tried the one that is supposed to be "automatic" torque sensitive? I can't tell from the description if it is variable or just on-off. I sent them a message last week asking and never got a response.
post #1075 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad67 View Post
Has anyone tried the one that is supposed to be "automatic" torque sensitive? .
I sent Bruno a question on this device, as I'm installing a VUE EPS in a Fiero. His reply was that for a street driven vehicle, the automatic would be better than the one with the adjustable Pot, so I bought one. He said that if it was going to be a track driven vehicle, then the one with the POT would be better- I guess for more adjust-ability Received it yesterday, so not yet installed. It installs by soldering one wire from the new controller to one of the 4 small wires from the EPS box to the Torque Sensors. That, along with power and ground, are the only connections required by the new controller. It also comes with a 6 prong pin to directly plug into the EPS controller box.

There is one more grey wire from the Automatic controller, that determines the "mode" you drive in. Leave it loose, and it's "medium" level of power. Ground it, and it's minimum power level. Attach a 100 ohm resister to the grey wire, and ground it, and you have maximum power level. This to me sounds like he's just eliminated the Pot, and gone with 3 fixed values. I hope I'm not wrong. I may regret not buying the cheaper version ( although I suppose I could always wire in a pot to the grey line, with 0-100 ohm resistance).

It will be a couple of weeks before my install is finished- hopefully others have some more experience on this to share.
post #1076 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM

EPS Installation Complete!

Wrapped up the installation of a 2008 Prius EPS unit on our '68 Coupe and test drove it. It is "perfect". It took about 12 hours to do the whole conversion from the '68 collapsible column and the only additional parts required were 10 gauge wiring, a borgesen 312500 u-joint for the lower shaft, a 40-amp inline fuse and three electrical connectors. We were somewhat worried about the feel at speed, but at 85 mph it is very stable. Can't wait for the upcoming track season. Thanks for all the information. Great Forum.
68 Mustang and 68Hildago like this.
post #1077 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DOHC View Post
Wrapped up the installation of a 2008 Prius EPS unit on our '68 Coupe and test drove it. It is "perfect". It took about 12 hours to do the whole conversion from the '68 collapsible column and the only additional parts required were 10 gauge wiring, a borgesen 312500 u-joint for the lower shaft, a 40-amp inline fuse and three electrical connectors. We were somewhat worried about the feel at speed, but at 85 mph it is very stable. Can't wait for the upcoming track season. Thanks for all the information. Great Forum.

Congrats on the completion of your project.
12 hours, wow, I wish I could work that quickly, that or the Prius install is a lot less work than the Vue conversion.
Do you have any pictures, I am curious as to how much work it involved and how it looks installed.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
post #1078 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DOHC View Post
I'm now torn between installing the Vue column I already have (didn't pay a lot for it) or finding a Prius version which is more expensive as it comes off eBay versus me pulling it from a local yard (no Prius' to be found in the yards around here). As a reference, I have a 69 Mustang.

Suggestions
post #1079 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenthumbs View Post
I'm now torn between installing the Vue column I already have (didn't pay a lot for it) or finding a Prius version which is more expensive as it comes off eBay versus me pulling it from a local yard (no Prius' to be found in the yards around here). As a reference, I have a 69 Mustang.

Suggestions
If you plan to use the Prius in fail safe mode, the downside would be not being able to adjust it to your liking. If you run wide tires or have heavy steering to begin with, you may want the ability to adjust the amount of assist you are getting.

Just my two bits.
Grabber Blu likes this.

68 Coupe, 289 4 barrel, T5, 8.8 3.73LS rear w/disc, Granada front discs, Arning/Shelby drop, Vue EPAS

67/68 Ammeter to Voltmeter upgrade with how-to

68 289 with factory water pump, Serpentine upgrade using Ford parts

Just Remember: John Wick didn't kill all those people for a Camaro
post #1080 of 1297 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:28 PM

Got the basic install finally done, and it works like a charm up with the car on blocks.
Some final wiring clean up, rechecking all the bolt torques, the e-brake and steering wheel reinstall are next.
Leaving the O/E hydraulics on till I get to drive it.
There is noticable variation in the input force from no boost to full on. Looks like it performs as advertised - - so far.
68Hildago likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page