4R70W Linkage & Brackets Required??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

4R70W Linkage & Brackets Required???

Can anyone help me out here? I am putting my 4r70w in my 68 fastback and require the linkages, brackets and whatever else I need which is my problem. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I used to have a 302/c4 but that and all it's linkages are all gone when I moved about 5 years ago and the car has been sitting in my shop since. Just getting back to it finally.

I was wondering if I could just get the linkage and brackets from a 96-04 mustang that had the 4r70w in it as well as the dipstick and tube for the tranny?? My 4r70w came out of a 02 F-150 and it came with a one-piece block plate and I think there is a two-piece plate that I may need instead but not sure.

Also, do I need to get the actual shifter and assembly from one of these later mustangs as it should have the correct buttons for overdrive and indents in it but not sure it would fit??

Finally, I have a 351 with an Edelbrock carb on it and I think I will need some sort of linkage to up to it for the kick-down as well but not sure exactly what that would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. How does one post pics on here as I would like to do page on how to do this swap and what to do or not when I'm done. I tried posting pics before but my camera only gets pics down to 133kb and this forum only allows 98kb. I'm not the most computer literate so your thoughts again would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM

The 4R70W will need a digital controller, not a kick down linkage. I have seen others connect the stock SN95 Mustang cable to the stock shifter.

Here is a good article on the swap into a 67 Cougar which should be nearly identical to your 68

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Flade for the info. I do have a Baumann controller for the tranny. I'm still a bit lost on how the Baumann will know if the engine gets kicked-down. I assumed that was why I needed some sort of linkage as well but maybe that's all part in part of this tranny I'm just not familiar with tranny stuff. Opened this one up to change some springs and valves as per the Baumann site but just seemed like a mystery to me. That would be great if I can hook up to a stock SN95 shift cable. Don't know so will look at your article that you are referring to. Can you supply the link? It's not on the post.

I've been looking all over for someone who has done this swap and there was a guy named Phil that had done one back in 03 and said he would forward the pdf file he had but must not be able to find it anymore or he's really busy as haven't heard back from him. So if there is someone else it would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Sorry about that I forgot to paste in the link.

4R70W AOD Swap Details [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by brv1960 View Post
Thanks Flade for the info. I do have a Baumann controller for the tranny. I'm still a bit lost on how the Baumann will know if the engine gets kicked-down. I assumed that was why I needed some sort of linkage as well but maybe that's all part in part of this tranny I'm just not familiar with tranny stuff. Opened this one up to change some springs and valves as per the Baumann site but just seemed like a mystery to me. That would be great if I can hook up to a stock SN95 shift cable. Don't know so will look at your article that you are referring to. Can you supply the link? It's not on the post.

I've been looking all over for someone who has done this swap and there was a guy named Phil that had done one back in 03 and said he would forward the pdf file he had but must not be able to find it anymore or he's really busy as haven't heard back from him. So if there is someone else it would be greatly appreciated.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM

You need to put a TPS sensor on your carb if I remember correctly. Someone makes a kit
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jsams. I believe you are right as I've been looking and that's how it seems it works. A bit of voodoo stuff for a guy like me. Just looking for someone who has the TPS I need as Flade's article he posted for me on the cougar aod/4r70w swap indicates that is what is required as well. The problem is I have an Edelbrock thunderjet carb and I believe it requires a different bracket than what goes on the Holly carbs.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 07:13 PM

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 PM

BRV- if you need a TPS kit for an edelbrock, let me know. i have one that i used for a few months before i went to a holley. ill make ya a good deal on it. As for the shift linkage, i used the one off my C4. I bought a 3' threaded rod, tie rod end joint and a clevis end. im going to fab it it because my linkage keeps slipping so this should be adjustable to where i need it, then be solid.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM

Hey guys I am about to tackle this conversion as well. I have a 66 mustang 289 with a 9" rear end and 3.73 gears. I have the 4r70w, the The Quick 4 Transmission Control System stand alone controller, Green Dot shifter and linkage for a 65 mustang. my questions is what drive shaft length am i needing, what transmission mount should i be looking for and is there anything else that i am over looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking that i will start another "parts" list for someone in the future for this conversion. I searched but could not find one.

Thank you in advance,

Travis

Last edited by Travis Ingle; 08-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Here is your best option. Get the trans set up and propped up with a jack. Then weigh down the trunk a little. At that point you can make your own cross member and you'll be able to properly measure your driveshaft and to make sure your trans angle is correct. If need be, pm me and I'll fill ya in on how I made my trans mount
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 PM

I recommend you swap out the green dot shift box for a 67/68 shifter with the proper modern shift pattern. The tranny is also a lot bigger than the C4, you may have to open the trans tunnel a bit too for it to fit well. I happen to have a 95 GT tranny and 66 C4 in my garage sitting side by side. There is a noticeable diffeernces in size.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM

I did have a little learning curve... its a good idea to put the torque converter on the transmission then installing it to the flex plate instead of bolting the torque converter to the flex plate and then trying to stab the transmission.... ROOKIE MOVE

I am about to be under the 66, i could use some help with linkage set up to the shifter. is there a modification that i need to make to the shift rod? pictures would be helpful so feel free to send them.

travis
918-271-9030
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 PM

I am installing a 4r70w in a 66 right now, almost done. I have the quick 4 as well. I bought the ron Morris crossmember made for this application. Once tranny was in the driveshaft shop told me where to take measurements(tranny tailpiece to universal joint cup on rear). You will need a neutral safety switch from year of tranny(I am stuck on this now cause the plug hits tunnel by an 1/8. I was thinking about shaving down the switches mounting points before denting the tunnel. You do need a tps sensor for your carb. I am going with a lokar shifter, they make one for this application. I am using a stock console so I had some adjusting to doon the shifter. I am almost done with this build so have not run it yet. I had to cut one unnecessary ear off the granny for it to fit, that's all.
fordguy likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 PM

For the shifter, I used the bottom half of a 2000 mustang shifter mated to the handle off my original shifter. Amazingly enough, the shifter handles had the same hole at the pivot point between the two.

With this setup, it looks original but I can use the factory shifter cable and transmission bracket.

1966 Mustang 302ci 4r70w, csrp front discs, 8.8 rear, EPAS, Fitech for fuel
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracr View Post
For the shifter, I used the bottom half of a 2000 mustang shifter mated to the handle off my original shifter. Amazingly enough, the shifter handles had the same hole at the pivot point between the two.

With this setup, it looks original but I can use the factory shifter cable and transmission bracket.
Any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page