Classic performance products coilover kit - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Classic performance products coilover kit

Does anyone have any feedback on the classic performance products coilover conversion kit for the 67 mustangs? Double adjustable for $500 is a steal if it's a decent setup. Looking to change my stock front spring and shock setup.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store2...6165COK-SA.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM

keep in mind that while these will give you adjustable shocks and spring preload, they will not improve the motion ratio or suspension geometry. These are things that are usually addressed with the pricier conversions.

also, with dampers, you usually get what you pay for. meaning more expensive shocks generally work better and last longer than cheaper ones.

that said, i have no experience with CPP suspension, so cannot comment on the quality of the parts or the tuning of the spring rates or damping.

65 GT Vert 4sp
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdino View Post
keep in mind that while these will give you adjustable shocks and spring preload, they will not improve the motion ratio or suspension geometry.
Agreed 100%. The only thing this setup gives you versus stock is an adjustable ride height. If you want to spend all of your extra coin for this single purpose, then sure go for it. But if you want to actually "improve" your suspension, consider spending your same or similar coin on the many, many other options out there.

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Not worth it. You would be better off with quality shocks And springs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

One of the other options I was looking at doing was either ridetech hq shocks or viking double adjustable shocks, with progressive rate front springs and either a 4.5 or 5 leaf rear spring (4 leaf in it now) I would be doing roller spring perches as well if I didn't go the coilover route.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

Talked with CPP this morning. This kit uses Viking shocks so, they are a good shock. They are a steal IMO considering that viking double adjustable shocks for a mustang are 400 bux. There is 80 bux worth of tie bars here and another 100 bux for the coil springs if you tried to put this together yourself. I know this doesn't change anything other than the adjustability in ride height, but it is a nice setup for the money.

Spring rates are 350 lb according to them.

Living the dream or running it down... haven't figured out which yet.

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.

Last edited by billywatson1205; 08-15-2016 at 12:39 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
Agreed 100%. The only thing this setup gives you versus stock is an adjustable ride height. If you want to spend all of your extra coin for this single purpose, then sure go for it. But if you want to actually "improve" your suspension, consider spending your same or similar coin on the many, many other options out there.
I'm interested in the other options you speak of. I've got a full Opentracker roller setup ie... Roller UCA and LCA with heim jointed adjustable strut rods. Keeping with the bolt in theme I thought these would be a nice compliment. I ordered them today, so we will see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My website and blog

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 PM

This also gives you the equivalent of a roller spring perch.

I have a very similar system I pieced together myself with QA1 shocks and I'm very happy with it for aggressive street driving.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
This also gives you the equivalent of a roller spring perch.

I have a very similar system I pieced together myself with QA1 shocks and I'm very happy with it for aggressive street driving.
Actually your post linking to your setup was what spurred my curiosity. In trying to piece it together I found it was cheaper to go with this setup. I was at $450+ without sourcing the springs. What ended up selling me on this was that I found out they use Viking shocks.

So if we add it up with this setup acting as a roller perch, I think this is bargain basement priced.

My website and blog

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM

You can easily increase the motion ratio with a kit like this by moving the mounting point of the 'spring perch' outboard on the top arm 0.5 to 1 inch.

Whether this style of kit places too much side loading on the shock is another question however.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 PM

I've already moved the mount an inch outward. When I spoke with them I made sure that wouldn't be an issue. The springs are 350lb so that mod will help stiffen the spring some.

My website and blog

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
any update on how the CPP C/O worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywatson1205 View Post
I've already moved the mount an inch outward. When I spoke with them I made sure that wouldn't be an issue. The springs are 350lb so that mod will help stiffen the spring some.

Hey Billy,

Any update on how this Classic Performance Parts coilover kit worked out for you, a year later? Was it worth it? Were 350# springs too stiff, soft or just right? Do you recall what level Viking shock you got in the kit? I've heard on these forums that the Viking is a rogue offspring of QA1, so what did they do better, or worse?

Considering this over more expensive CO's because I already have Global West upper control arms with roller spring perches, and stock 6 cyl springs that are 50 yrs old and need replacing anyways. Any info would help. I've got a '68 coupe, 302, T5 manual, alum bellhousing, alum heads, alum water pump, front cover, radiator, etc. (so somewhat light weight except for adding air cond next spring).

Albert
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 PM

I put these in my 65 and am very pleased. I went with the double adjustable, so I can alter both jounce and rebound, have been running them for just over a year. Would do it again
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Supporting Member

i bought a set and they just got delivered to me Saturday. 450lb springs though.

Troy Arave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page