66 Coupe, i6 200. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
66 Coupe, i6 200.

Hey all,

My name is Wayne and I just got my first Mustang a little less than a month ago. I've had a handful of VWs in the past but it's been a while since I've had an older car and super stoked to get a 1966 Coupe. The stamped(and registered) VIN is a 289, but I have an inline 6, so I'm guessing it got swapped out or at some point the fender was swapped out with a 289's.

I'm in Santa Rosa and would like to switch the steering wheel to something more original (has a got Momo style currently). If anyone in the North Bay of CA has a steering wheel for sale, I'm interested.

Looking forward to turning wrenches and enjoying the heck out of the car (already have some miles on it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_210648_1540365671150.jpg (494.5 KB, 9 views)

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, Inline 6, 200 cubic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I don't blame you...Momo's are great for racing on the track, but are the butt ugliest steering wheels ever made...

Original Reproduction Steering Wheels and some great aftermarket ones...can be had from NPD and CJ Pony Parts..

Welcome to the Forum!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 AM

What color interior do you have? Do you want a standard wheel or a wood one? On a separate note, do you have 4 lug or 5 lug wheels? That is the quickest way to tell if it's a 6cyl. or 8cyl. car.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Garage
Wayne, welcome to VMF.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@NEFaurora
Thanks. I have been checking out CJ Pony Parts a ton, but my Office Mate/Car Guy has been urging me to look for original parts first before buying aftermarket. That's not to say that might not be the way I go, but I figured I would ask first as you never know if someone has one they are willing to sell.
@jgrote
Black and original style. I would love to do a wood one. My gauge cluster and glove compartment don't have the wood grain to match, but I like just the steering wheel in wood/chrome. That said, I'm also totally down for a standard one too.

To your other question, I have 4 lug wheels, so it is more likely that it's a donor fender from a V8. Though, again, it is registered as the V8 Vin number, so if I upgrade the engine and wheels (which I plan to do at some point), it will at least match the vin on record.
@MikeG69
Thanks man. Glad to be a part of the community.

Last edited by Wayne Ingraham; 10-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Dimples

Garage
Welcome!

Original is usually the best bet, but these days an original wheel has likely been repaired by now, with varying levels of skill/success. I don't think a steering wheel is a bad thing to go repro on.

Also, most of us here feel the way I do: Start with NPD on parts. CJ is fine, but NPD has proven over and over again to be the best parts with the best service. They really stand behind what they do.

The anvil of reality.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Welcome Wayne!

Does the VIN on the fender apron match the VIN on the driver's door?

It seems unlikely to me that someone would go through all the trouble of changing to a four lug wheel while doing a swap to an I6 from a V8.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Strange, I replied and didn't see it later. Wonder if I didn't hit post or something.

@BlakeTX
Good call on repo with the steering wheel. While some things going "original" with, can make a big difference I'm sure (aesthetically if you are going for super accurate or just from a 'fits with the rest of the car' sort of way), a steering wheel might be a bit more forgiving.

Also, good call on NPD. I believe I've had the car less than a month, but haven't come across it yet, as CJPP always seems to come up when I'm looking at parts. I like their prices and selection. Though, CJPP has some great videos that make a novice like me feel, 'hey, I can probably do that'.

Finally, checked out your car and it looks pretty rad. Good work.

@BigKoppa
Thanks. To your question, unfortunately, the door appears to be missing the plate that gives that information, which I'm bummed out about as that plate will let you find out what the original paint color and options were from what I gather and the 66 is a year shy for a Marti Report.

Agreed, it is unlikely, though, if it was in a big enough accident and it needed to be all switched out, it is 'possible' that someone did some body work and put in the cheaper parts or ones that people often get rid of for free when upgrading, but again, while possible, not as much plausible.

At some point, I'm hoping to get the other fender off to see the hidden VIN stamp and see if it matches up. Once I do, I will learn more about the car's story.

General Question:
Since the DMV keeps it's records on lock, is there any database that car enthusiasts have that you can add your plate/vin/specs to see previous owners (should they have also put in their info)? Just wondering if I can learn more about my car, especially since carfax doesn't allow you to see anything when I try my VIN.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page