Look what followed me home, can I keep it? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Look what followed me home, can I keep it?

Arcadian Blue '66 coupe, 289, C4. Power steering, no AC or PB. Two previous owners had (if what I am told is correct) started working on it, then lost steam. My intent is to do a complete but not concours restoration to stock, or very close to stock condition.

It's our fourth Mustang. #1 was a '77 Mustang II Ghia 4-speed, bought in 1979 when my wife and I were newly married. It lasted a couple of months before it was totaled by a Malibu in an intersection. #2 was a '73 Grande bought to replace it. I drove that until 1986-ish. After that it was a long time before #3, a '98 V6 coupe bought new. Drove that until 2003, have been driving a pickup ever since.

I've done a fair amount of body and mechanical work in the past, but never a complete restoration. Right now I'm just pulling it apart and getting a handle on what I'm up against, and how badly the previous owners screwed it up. I am assuming that everything is s*** and the engine and tranny are toast (and budgeting accordingly), so hopefully there will be only pleasant surprises.

About me: Geezer (late 50s). Geek. Private pilot, so when it's super nice, screw the car, I'm flying. Married, kids, youngest one is a gearhead who will be helping out occasionally.
Rorin67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question for the assembled experts...

I've done rockers and a distributor and countless tuneups on a '73 351C. I've resurrected a '69 Karmann Ghia enough to drive it for a couple of seasons when required. I've used enough duct tape and bailing wire to get a '64 (or was it a '63?) Corvair known as "The Mosquito Fogger" around the autocross course. I've kept a long string of family cars and kids' high school beaters running. I've done jugs, pistons, cams and oil pump in a Harley Twin Cam. I've maintained a couple of airplanes and built half of one (long story). But...

I've never touched a 289, and this is my first 60s vintage Mustang. What books should I get right off the bat to help me determine what I'm looking at, what's missing, what should be where, and what parts of this car have been broken, altered, dropped, chopped, stolen, cut, welded, rusted and/or otherwise molested in the last 43 years, and what to do about it?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 PM

Pics or you donít get to keep it! ;-)

Start with the Ford Shop Manual, color coded wiring diagram, and when you are really ready to dig in get a set of the Assembly manuals.

Set VMF as your home page, and put NPD on speed dial.

Sounds like you have a great project. Rust will likely be your biggest issue. You will likely have to replace/ repair the cowl, floorboards etc.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
Welcome to the VMF collective.

Interesting personal history. I am likewise on the later side of 50, engineer/nerd/geek, have or had a dozen Mustangs, currently have a dozen air cooled VW's, have a '63 Corvair, got both kids through high school and college in older used cars (including Mustangs, Miatas, and VWs), but never had a Harley nor a pilot's license. I have designed many helicopter parts but not built half of one (had one or two built though).

Get a factory printed (not repo) 1966 shop manual (repo illustrations don't have a very good resolution since they are copies). Get an original 1966 Ford Vacuum & Wiring Diagram (same issue with repo resolution). And since you are a nerd, get Bob Mannel's Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 for the heck of it (details you would never even dreamed about).

Memorize them all and get back with us on VMF for questions. It is a blast.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:57 PM

Welcome and good luck as you get going on this fun new project!

Nate D.

WIP - 65 FB T-code:
331 (302 Mexico block) with main girdle
Canfield 192 heads Pro Magnum roller rockers
Comp Cams retro roller 224/230 112
Torker 289 Single Plane w/ Holley 600 DP
Hooker long tube headers
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Toploader 4-speed WR
Front disc KH 4 piston
Rear 1958 Edsel 9" w/ 3.50 traction loc
Shelby mods for track use.
Acapulco Blue w/ Wimbledon White stripes
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I’ll post a few pics tomorrow. I also have a blog where I’ll be keeping track of what’s happening.

Why NPD instead of CJPony? Haven’t ever dealt with either. Parts quality? Pricing? Shipping? I checked out a couple of other places, but pricing was pretty far off. The last time I needed to buy Mustang parts, about the only place to go was called The Paddock. That was a long time ago, back when your printed catalog was dropped on your porch by a passing Pony Express rider.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Why NPD instead of CJPony?
NPD stocks parts, so when you order them, they ship them. You don't get a notice your part is back ordered and you may never see it.

NPD has quality customer service and works with you if something doesn't go right. See the current thread on CJ not answering the phones. It's also a call for everyone to complain about their service. You wont find similar NPD threads.

[email protected] is here and frequently provides great insight on parts and the business to help us with our projects. Support from the top down.

I am sure there are more reasons.
BlakeTX likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Here are a few pics of what I'm working with. Most of the body work from the firewall forward is of exceedingly crap quality, and a lot of sheet metal will just need to be replaced. The bones appear to be OK... so far. It will need fenders, probably door skins (maybe shells), probably a fender apron. Other than that, it seems to be not too bad off.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Still looking for pics. As for Geezer, whippersnaper is more like it...

Mustangs are easy to work on, paint and body work sucks and is hella expensive. The rest is fun, and the problems you do have, you are welcome to bring up here and after we stop laughing we will be glad to help you!

Welcome - you owe us pics!

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
DaleB, welcome to VMF. In your late 50's is not quite a geezer, maybe an old fart like me (61).

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Still looking for pics.
Hmmm... I went to great lengths to attach some in my earlier post, wonder where they went?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, I've posted pics twice now, and they keep disappearing. :: shrug ::
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0865.jpg (391.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (309.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0871.jpg (430.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0862.jpg (412.6 KB, 9 views)
120mm likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Dang.

Body looks straight AF.

Looks like an excellent project.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, we'll see what's hiding under all that primer. I did find one of the two "most ghetto" coverups ever the other night. Big hole rusted through the right fender apron rear extension. No big deal, right? Cheap part, easy to get at. But someone had filled it with clear RTV silicone caulk, then primed and painted over it. Simply awesome. The bottom of the right fender is brazed to the rocker panel. This will be fun.

Hey, no biggie. I knew I was going to find stuff like this. When I was driving the Karmann Ghia one night in a rainstorm, I hit the brake to slow down and heard a sloshing sound. The passenger side was full of water almost to the top of the tunnel. No water would accumulate on the driver side, because the floor pan was "well drained". Anyway... I found a 6" hole rusted through the right side, right in front of the tire. It had been patched by bending an old license plate to sort-of fit and sticking it in place with Bondo.

You can't make this kind of stuff up. Going to attack the floor pan seams with a wire cup brush today to see if the new floor pans were welded in, or just glued. It's a nice clean job, I'm hoping I don't have to tear them all out, strip everything and weld them in.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:35 PM

If the floors have been replaced itís almost a guarantee the cowl is leaking. Unless it as cut opened and new metal welded in, then properly sealed, it is likely going to leak again. Youíll need to get up 7ndre tabdash and take a look at the bottom of the cowl. Problem best go remove the heater box first then run a hose into the the cowl vent. Youíll quickly see where it leaks. If you can weld, it isnít a hard repair, just long because it has so many spot welds to cut out.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page