Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Picking up a '66 Coupe (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/new-member-introductions/1157560-picking-up-66-coupe.html)

roogie 05-19-2019 05:02 PM

Picking up a '66 Coupe
 
3 Attachment(s)
I had a 1965 Coupe in high school, 200ci C4, hard to believe that's been 30 years ago.

So I've been looking for another ride with a 200 mainly because that's what I had, but also because they are generally a bit less expensive, Another good reason is that I make my living with my driver's license driving nearly 3000 miles a week for FedEx Freight. I don't really need the temptation of the extra hp!

Have been looking for probably 18 months, checking out CL ads, Facebook, etc when one day I take a different way back home while riding my bike. There is a white '66 coupe sitting in the driveway and the owner putting a car cover on.

So I stopped and talked with him, explained that I used to have a 65 coupe with the I-6 and was trying to find another. He said he was thinking about selling his'66 but hadn't listed it anywhere yet.

It's been 4 weeks now and we've come to agreement and I'll be getting it in about 10 days after he gets back from a vacation in Italy.

The crazy thing is we've lived about 0.4 miles from each other for 15 years, just about 3 blocks.

Looking forward to driving this '66 200ci with a 3spd manual this time!

Have a great one!

GypsyR 05-19-2019 05:48 PM

Welcome to the forum. Couple of suggestions, if I may. I'm not the expert on '66 cars but it appears you still have the original single line brake master cylinder. It's kind of a really big safety thing for folks to upgrade that to a dual bowl master cylinder. For safety reasons.
Another thought is upgrading to a T5 transmission. Since you have a straight drive already, you're halfway there. Seriously consider it. You about have to drive one to understand, but it makes a 200 coupe positively feel like a sportscar and actually more fun to drive in comparison to a 3 speed or C4. Plus you get overdrive.
But if you're a "keep it original" kind of guy, that's great too.

myfirstcar66 05-19-2019 10:16 PM

I love it. I am one of few people that still have their first car and I hope it is my last one. Welcome back to Mustang ownership and I hope it makes you feel like a teenager every time you get in it. Enjoy it like it is, or make it what you want. No hurry. You're just 17...

roogie 05-19-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyR (Post 10163684)
Welcome to the forum. Couple of suggestions, if I may. I'm not the expert on '66 cars but it appears you still have the original single line brake master cylinder. It's kind of a really big safety thing for folks to upgrade that to a dual bowl master cylinder. For safety reasons.
Another thought is upgrading to a T5 transmission. Since you have a straight drive already, you're halfway there. Seriously consider it. You about have to drive one to understand, but it makes a 200 coupe positively feel like a sportscar and actually more fun to drive in comparison to a 3 speed or C4. Plus you get overdrive.
But if you're a "keep it original" kind of guy, that's great too.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have plans on getting the 4 lug front disc brakes for obvious reasons. This type of conversions were not available back in the late 80s.

The T5 sounds like a great thing too! I want it to look factory but safety is always up at the top too.

Thanks!

roog

jgrote 05-19-2019 10:29 PM

I've got the V8 version of your car. (White, blue interior.) I wasn't a fan when I found it, but have really come to like it. Yours looks quite clean. Get out there and enjoy it for a while. (After a good inspection.) Upgrades can come a little later.

MikeG69 05-21-2019 04:37 PM

Welcome to VMF.

NEFaurora 05-21-2019 05:52 PM

Looks like a very clean coupe! Congrats. The only thing that I can see missing is that when the car was re-painted at one time, The rocker Panle trim was removed and never put back. All '66's had Rocker Trim panels standard except for GT cars. Earlier in '65, It was an optional...

:o)

Tony K.

roogie 05-22-2019 11:24 PM

Funny you mention this, they came with 2 large boxes that got stuffed into the back of my wife's car.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEFaurora (Post 10164836)
Looks like a very clean coupe! Congrats. The only thing that I can see missing is that when the car was re-painted at one time, The rocker Panle trim was removed and never put back. All '66's had Rocker Trim panels standard except for GT cars. Earlier in '65, It was an optional...

:o)

Tony K.


New2me 05-23-2019 01:40 AM

Welcome to VMF and good luck with your mods.

roogie 05-25-2019 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well now it's my schedule going to mess things up, should have her home by June 1st.

Thanks for the ideas and welcomes.

roog

myfirstcar66 05-25-2019 03:52 PM

I see the Marine Corp tag on the front of that steed. And the rare accessory horseshoe bumperettes on back. Be sure to thank that Veteran and tell them you'll give that old pony green pastures to graze in. The body lines and interior fit and finish look great. Might be worth just keeping original.

roogie 05-25-2019 05:08 PM

Yea he's a heckuva guy. He's keeping his Marine stuff of course, he even has a little PA speaker under the hood somewhere that plays a song. Not sure if he's taking that or not because it's wired in.

I'm on the fence about the bumperettes. I've read they were not an original Ford accessory but were aftermarket parts from a "JC Whitney" type of vendor installed by dealers, etc. I have no idea so I'll research them some more. I guess some of the Concours guys hate em. :)

Enjoy your weekend!

roog

myfirstcar66 05-25-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roogie (Post 10167506)
Yea he's a heckuva guy. He's keeping his Marine stuff of course, he even has a little PA speaker under the hood somewhere that plays a song. Not sure if he's taking that or not because it's wired in.

I'm on the fence about the bumperettes. I've read they were not an original Ford accessory but were aftermarket parts from a "JC Whitney" type of vendor installed by dealers, etc. I have no idea so I'll research them some more. I guess some of the Concours guys hate em. :)

Enjoy your weekend!

roog

If you decide to part with them, I'll be happy to give them a new home. Have a good'un!

roogie 05-27-2019 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brought her home today!

roog

myfirstcar66 05-27-2019 10:12 PM

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS ! ! !


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome