First of many newbie questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By VABS65
  • 1 Post By MikeG69

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

First of many newbie questions

Hello from northern Iowa! I am the proud new owner (the 4th) of a '65 Mustang 289. She came to me through the magic of Facebook Marketplace where the more you look at something in particular, the more ads you see for said item. I wasn't really in the market for a vintage Mustang but since my first car in high school in the 80's was a '67 Mustang, I can't help but look at ads for them when they pop up.

Recently an ad caught my eye: the location, condition and price was right so I went to look at her and when my boyfriend said "she won't be around long at that price" I knew that was a green light for purchasing her. She is black with a white vinyl top, which everyone that has seen her says they've never seen that combination before. So my first question is this: is this a factory combo or did someone either add the top or paint the original top? I know the first owner was a doctor that ordered her so could he have ordered that combo as an option? Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Vicky B in Iowa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Welcome to the VMF

Brad
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I can't figure out how to flip the picture around but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190619_205328.jpg (304.9 KB, 6 views)
2nd 66 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABS65 View Post
I can't figure out how to flip the picture around but you get the idea.
Which plant was the car built? If Metuchen, it's possible to find the build sheet. I don't recall seeing which box on the build sheet would show if it had the vinyl top from the factory, but it's probably your best hope. Unless of course, you might could find the doctor who owned it originally...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
I was kinda wondering if it may have been one of the Player Cigarette car with a partial repaint
1965 Player's Mustang Special E

Brad
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Hi, how ya doin?

Garage
Vicky, welcome to VMF. Nice looking 65.
VABS65 likes this.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:50 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Quote:
Hello from northern Iowa! I am the proud new owner (the 4th) of a '65 Mustang 289. She came to me through the magic of Facebook Marketplace where the more you look at something in particular, the more ads you see for said item. I wasn't really in the market for a vintage Mustang but since my first car in high school in the 80's was a '67 Mustang, I can't help but look at ads for them when they pop up.

Recently an ad caught my eye: the location, condition and price was right so I went to look at her and when my boyfriend said "she won't be around long at that price" I knew that was a green light for purchasing her. She is black with a white vinyl top, which everyone that has seen her says they've never seen that combination before. So my first question is this: is this a factory combo or did someone either add the top or paint the original top? I know the first owner was a doctor that ordered her so could he have ordered that combo as an option? Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Vicky B in Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I was kinda wondering if it may have been one of the Player Cigarette car with a partial repaint
1965 Player's Mustang Special E
Vicky,

Welcome to VMF. Congratulations on your "new" car. Show us more pics as we all really enjoy seeing other people's rides.

As to it being a Player Cigarette car, doubtful as according to the link they were all 200ci I6 engines, unless a PO changed the engine as the OP stated hers is a 289.?

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thelma Lu is from Detroit! I named her Thelma Lu because she kind of looks like an old cop car and it reminded me of Barney Fife since he's the one that is usually driving and his girlfriend's name is Thelma Lou.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Which plant was the car built? If Metuchen, it's possible to find the build sheet. I don't recall seeing which box on the build sheet would show if it had the vinyl top from the factory, but it's probably your best hope. Unless of course, you might could find the doctor who owned it originally...

Allen

Unfortunately, Dr. Berry passed away quite a while ago. BUT I am fairly sure that the man I got her from knows how to get in touch with his daughter. Tracking down the history on this car shouldn't be too hard since there were only 3 previous owners and the first and third lived in the same tiny town about 25 miles from owner #2!

Vicky B
'65 Mustang 289
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Dr. Berry passed away quite a while ago. BUT I am fairly sure that the man I got her from knows how to get in touch with his daughter. Tracking down the history on this car shouldn't be too hard since there were only 3 previous owners and the first and third lived in the same tiny town about 25 miles from owner #2!
Old pictures from the Dr.'s daughter could lend very good clues...

Seems like you have a great avenue to it's history with knowing all of the previous owners. Good luck in your quest!

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Hi Vicki congrats on your pony car. We bought our 65 coupe from the original owner in Winterset Iowa. I like your color combination, it'll look great when you're done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page