Intro and 1970 mustang question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Intro and 1970 mustang question

Hello mustang fans. I'd like to say a brief hello and ask some advice. I bought a 1970 Grande about 16 years ago to work on with my dad. Life happened and my dad's health took a turn for the worse, and long story short, it still isn't running. The previous owner was turning it into a drag car and scrapped the Grande vinyl top and swapped out the transmission column for a B&M quick shift. I've had several people offer to buy it through the years, but kept refusing assuming nobody would pay me what I've put in the car. It has a 302 bored .030 over, 4 barrel carb, hooked headers (no exhaust yet) , no rust on the body to speak of, new heat blower motor, 8.8 rear-end out of a '68 stang, ralley wheels, seats have been recovered in black vinyl. I had some one say name a price and I threw out the figure $6,000. The guy reresponded with "do you want it in $100 bills or a cashiers check?" That threw me for a loop and I told him to give me until Sunday to decide. Is $6000 a good figure to get for a mustang that isn't running and can probably never be fully restored even if someone wanted to? I'm considering taking the $6000 and put it towards a mustang that is currently running. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 PM

If you don't think you'll ever get the car into running and driving condition that's a great deal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
If you don't think you'll ever get the car into running and driving condition that's a great deal.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think it would take too much to get it running. We had it running before but it kept overheating and we realized we had been given the wrong water pump since we were using an engine from an E-250 equipment van in the 1970 Mustang body. About that time my Dad's health deteriorated and that is pretty much where the project stopped many years ago. It has been in the garage at my dad's house the entire time and now I live about 2 hours away and it's never really convenient for me to spend a large amount of time down there to work on it with two young kids and especially since I'm not the most mechanically inclined ( my dad was a mechanic) once the engine is running and Exhaust is added to it it's pretty much ready for the road. Like I said in my first post it'll never be a complete restoration car for anybody. But that's not the kind of Mustang I'd be interested in any way.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Welcome to VMF.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Garage
#1, We want PICTURES

#2, Shop around and see what other cars are going for. Yours and what you want to buy. Do you want to keep yours if you can finish it? Is it worth putting some $$ into it and finishing it or selling it and then paying $$$ for another? You could find a nice driver, or you might get someone else's problems.

#3, Welcome to the forum.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page