Any love for the 70's? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Any love for the 70's?

Hello, long time listener, first time caller.

I picked up a '72 Fastback basically out of a field a year ago as a budget father / son project. The car was in OK shape other than being full of black widows but a solid foundation. Hardly any rust and overall in decent shape. We had virtually no recent history on the car so it's been a bit of a process figuring out what's up with it. It has a 351C 4V and come to find it has roller rockers, guide plates etc, so some work had been done. Oh and one little thing was it had no trans in it. The previous owner had started an auto to manual conversion so the trans was gone as were the pedals. There was however a new in box Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed in a box in the back seat and a number of other pieces and parts like the bell housing, hydraulic clutch etc.

We've been plugging away getting things going and have it running and driving, but still a ways from where I would say we are ready to go just drive it around. The hydraulic clutch has been problematic since day one and just last weekend I think I blew out the seals on the slave so I think I need to pull the trans yet again ..ugh! We did a lot of the work ourselves and had some help from a local shop that was great to work with but not really their bag to do stuff like reworking pedals and the clutch setup. So if anyone knows a good mechanic in San Diego that is also affordable, I'd be interested. Talked to a couple local speed shops and they are just out of our range right now if I want to stay married.

Here she is in all her glory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Garage
Welcome to VMF. The picture is not showing up.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mike and thanks. Hmm, not seeing how to edit the post. Rules say I can, but no edit link.....

I can edit this one it turns out, but not the original.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 PM

The '71/'72/'73 cars have lagged the '65-'70 cars in popularity. You can still find some excellent bargains on the '71-'73 cars. There are a couple of colors that really set off the style of the '71-'73 Fastbacks- Yellow, Red and Grabber Blue look outstanding to me with the Mach 1 style stripes and blacked out hood.

Here's a couple of good examples currently for sale:
https://www.garagekeptmotors.com/veh...mustang-mach-1

Compare those prices to the price of this '70 Mach 1:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
Black is always good on a Mustang and that is NO exception! I hope you get the trans issues solved and get to enjoy it. Since it had black windows in it, I can see a theme emerging in a black car.........

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console

'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory Air Conditioning •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

It looks good at about 50'. Working on getting down to a 20 footer then closer. Right now the plan is to wrap it in matte black and basically black everything else out. The trunk is wrapped in black. And thanks, we've done a ton of work to the car and have a bunch more ready to go, but none of that matters if we can't get the thing to drive decently.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM

I have a love for the 70s Mustangs. Once owned a 71 Boss 351. I remember as a youngster the first time I saw a slant back 71 Mach 1, thought it looked like it had just rolled off the race track.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, me as well of course. For some reason I keep running into old timers that love to tell me how big and heavy it is. Drove it to the auto parts store a couple weeks ago and old dude says "That's great. Too bad it's the heaviest Mustang they ever made"

Can't just respect the old car for what it is? It's like saying "your wife seems nice, too bad she's so fat". Thanks buddy.
69bosssvt and myfirstcar66 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic Nerd View Post
Thanks, me as well of course. For some reason I keep running into old timers that love to tell me how big and heavy it is. Drove it to the auto parts store a couple weeks ago and old dude says "That's great. Too bad it's the heaviest Mustang they ever made"

Can't just respect the old car for what it is? It's like saying "your wife seems nice, too bad she's so fat". Thanks buddy.
unfortunately someone always has something to say. Love these cars! I always laughed when people told me my power steering pump was going out on my 04 lightning.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Everybody loves the early classic Mustangs, but I honestly love the later '69-72 body style. That's a beautiful car you've got, love the black on black.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:29 PM

Welcome! My hubby owns the gold Mach at the top of the VMF banner :-). I'm of no help with sourcing a mechanic, but have you joined the 7173mustangs.com forum? Someone there might know of someone!

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I have actually thanks. I just spend a fair bit of time over here, so thought I'd check in and say hi and while I'm at it, ask about mechanics. Thanks again!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Invest in a set of Magnum 500's....or stock wheels with dog dish hubcaps. Your car will look a million times better... Those current wheels look like they belong on a '94 Corvette..lol..

Congrats on the find!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Why hate on Corvettes?

Yea, I don't love them. These will have to do for awhile as It doesn't really matter much what wheels are on there if I can't drive the thing. They are wheels from a mid '90's SVT, so at least in the family.

That said, when I do finally replace them, I will be going more modern and larger than original. I know some people will hate on that, but the car isn't original already, so I'm just going to do what I like rather than try to make it look like it was when it was new or worry about being period correct. Really aiming toward something that scares children rather than pleases fellow old guys.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
You can always tell the naysayers, "It may be a heavy Mustang but it's still a black stallion that will smoke your ________(fill in the blank with their junk)_____.

Black that thing out put a red hourglass front tag on it, a personalized WDWMKR or BLKWDW tag on the back and build that Cleveland to better-than-Boss specs then make sure they get a good look at those tail lights.

Oooooo... maybe an hourglass-shaped pattern of LEDs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page