66 Vert thoughts/help in Montville - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

66 Vert thoughts/help in Montville

Hey all,

I have a co-worker looking to pick up a 65/66 convertible for a Sunday/parade car.

Let me preface this post with this: I'm a certified Mustang nut, I know the normal things to look for; my co-worker is the one buying, I'm merely a liaison for her; she knows what she is getting into, please don't question her motives or what she should want/not want, please just examine the car below, and help me make sure it's not a rolling turd.

What she wants: a 65/66 vert in good, driveable shape. She doesn't care about HP, she wants to drive it during the summer for parades, cruises to work, etc. We've hashed out she needs a solid car that she can upgrade, rather than a project to repair (let's be honest, the repair part comes no matter what!). There's more than a few car nuts and mustang nuts around here at work, so the wealth of knowledge is not lacking, I just believe in more eyes, more better!

The current prospect is in Montville, NJ, pictured below.

Can anyone in the area go put eyes on this car the take a look at the concerns below, pour water down the cowl, and give a general overview? She is more than happy to compensate for time and travel, I would put you in contact with her to sort the details.

Overall the car looks decent, he is asking $17k, which seems to be about $6-9k lower than what the local average is. We are located in SE Wisconsin, so before plane tickets are had, hoping a local can go give it a good once over.

We see the patchwork done on the floor, little area of rust here and there, but an in-person exam would be awesome to see if htese are small issues that can be cleaned up over the years, of if it's a well hidden pile of junk. Feel free to fire off about the pics, and please speak up if you can take a look for her!

Thanks!

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

no one....?

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Garage
just from the pics, I'd hope someone can take a really good look at it for you. the frame rails look to be homemade?- you can see squared edges and weld blobs all along it; it's also got patches all over- granted that's common, but in places like torque box tops somewhat scares me. Did they replace properly, or just cover up the rust? I also get concerned when I see door latches painted body color- if they don't bother to cover/remove those, what other corners did they cut on the $200 Earl Scheib respray, right?

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM

I have not been a member long enough (not enough post) to post my 1966 Emberglo GT Vert, 289A code, 5 sp Tremec.

[email protected]

Last edited by N2RF66Convt; 07-11-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Dimples

Garage
IMO, that is NOT a $17k car. Lots of patches, which is understandable, but it doesn't even have weatherstripping on the doors. That is a big indicator of shortcuts to me. A factory V8 car in that condition might be a 17K car, but surely not a 6-banger.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page