Kinda quiet in here... - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM

Projects projects projects...it seems as though the house ones trump the car ones. I'm in Northern NJ, does that make me the Southern part of the North East?

Jay
1966 Coupe, 289 4 spd, Ivy Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 PM

Nice Job... I remember some of those pics from when I first started lurking around VMF... I just finished my kitchen remodel a couple months ago. It set me back about 5-6 months on my project. Oh Well! Hopefully, the mustang will be ready for springtime driving...

I breifly met a few VMFrs at the MCA show over the summer. I take it that is not a regular event, but understand there is a yearly Mustang show in the central mass area. Are there other Mustang related events that you guys tend to go to? Hopefully next summer I'll be out with the car instead of being with it in the garage...

http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/vmf/stangg_516_1_sig.jpg>'68 Highland Green fastback clone. 331 EFI, AFR heads, tube chassis, Cobra brakes, Fox rack & pinion steering,T5z, 8.8" Auburn limited slip w/ 3.27:1 rear gears, triangulated 4 link, QA1 coil overs, run once in the 1/4: 13.3 @ 107.5
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_kid
I figure we'll try to go for a record.I'm usually a lurker but what the hey I'll chime in.I think part of the reason we're so quiet in here is that our location has the lowest number of members?It's just a thought but let's face it I don't see a ton of these cars on the road nowadays.Usually when I do it's at a cruise night or something and the person bought it that way or paid to have it done so they are enthusiasts but not quite to the level of most of the people on this website who take a more active role(hands on) in their cars.So I don't think they are looking to seek out other Mustang owners?Hopefully I won't get flogged for this reply.I've made a bunch of observations over the last 18 years while I've been working on and driving these cars.I think the whole demographic has changed dramatically because the values of the cars has gone up.In a sentence it seems to me like alot (not all by any means) of the classic Mustang owners that I meet these days just aren't that into the cars,They like them but they don't want to talk your ear off about them?Which is too bad.Maybe I'm wrong?
Lastly I won't be able to go to the swap meet this weekend but if the weather is decent I'm probably going to Englishtown on Sat.For the F.A.S.T. (Factory appearing stock tires) event.My friend is going to run his Fairlane in it.So I'll take the ride with him.
I think your right. This area of the country tends to be very high speed with very few people having the time or desire or space to work on there cars so less of the ones that own mustangs come here looking for advice.

Quote:
Projects projects projects...it seems as though the house ones trump the car ones. I'm in Northern NJ, does that make me the Southern part of the North East?
Ya were kinda stuck in the middle of this one not really sure which foroum i am part of so i try to be part of both.

Thanks, Steve

67 I6 coupe to be restored

Now finally painted.... Until I sand it down and try again.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM

Ok, I'll jump in. Honestly for me, I live for the winter months in the Northeast when I can squirrel away in the garage and work on a project. I'm actually making pretty good progress on the 70 coupe so far and who knows, maybe it will hit the streets this spring.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:01 PM

Must be nice to have a warm garage to work in. Mine is detached and not heated. I'm about done with what i'm going to do for the season.

Carl (NY)
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Mines not heated either, but I get a lot done anyway.
Last year I used some plastic sheet and closed off an area around my project car. A couple electric heaters and it's not so bad

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM

I have a detached garage as well.I have one of those Kerosene blast heaters,It burns my eyes out but at least I'm warm enough to get some work done.I think in the northeast it is crucial to have a winter project it keeps me from getting stir crazy.Maybe we should start a new topic in this forum about what everybody hopes to get done this winter?
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 PM
C5Z

I'm a lurker most of the time but if I can offer more than $.02 I will. Anyway, Sally is under cover for the winter and pretty much complete. Sooooooo, get out the winter toys and enjoy the snow.

Kevin

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

SALLY
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Z
I'm a lurker most of the time but if I can offer more than $.02 I will. Anyway, Sally is under cover for the winter and pretty much complete. Sooooooo, get out the winter toys and enjoy the snow.
I'm dying to buy a sled. Don't have the room to keep it under cover yet, so that'll be put off 'til next year.

My garage is detached and will be heated (once I hook up the gas line to the heater). I had to rebuild it before we bought the house two years ago, so it's fully insulated on the walls at least. The Mach will probably be stored at a friends house for a couple months so I can work on other projects inside in the warmth. Kinda takes some getting used to going from a 2500sq ft shop to 380sq ft garage.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 PM

boy, can you imagine if we actually had something to talk about? 23 posts, this has got to be a new record forthe NE chapter.

I get a little tired of having to say" do you come here often"
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Let's go for 24 posts

I'm here lurking once in awhile.
Quiet time of year here in the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess County NY area for car stuff ... make you look forward to Spring if nothing else.

My Mustangs are packed away for the Winter. Only 4 months before I unpack them LOL!

Rich
MCA# 62088
68 GT/CS 289 California Special * 96 GT Convertible

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lessee if we can kick this forum up a little.

71 Mach 1
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM

Yes, it is nice to have a heated garage. I spent my entire youth working outside on the ground and vowed that when I had a place of my own, I'd have a garage. Been here 15 years and the first ten didn't matter becuse I never could afford to do any projects in the garage anyway So I'm just getting started!
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 PM

380 sf... man that's a garage mahal (sp) Mine is a wopping 12 x 25. My open working area is about 5 x 8. I hope to build a 12 x 12 loft above soon to move some of the non essential out of the way. I've also got a portable 220V electric heater the breaks the chill pretty good, no fumes so it make for comfortable working during the cold winter weekends...

http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/vmf/stangg_516_1_sig.jpg>'68 Highland Green fastback clone. 331 EFI, AFR heads, tube chassis, Cobra brakes, Fox rack & pinion steering,T5z, 8.8" Auburn limited slip w/ 3.27:1 rear gears, triangulated 4 link, QA1 coil overs, run once in the 1/4: 13.3 @ 107.5
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangg
380 sf... man that's a garage mahal (sp) Mine is a wopping 12 x 25. My open working area is about 5 x 8. I hope to build a 12 x 12 loft above soon to move some of the non essential out of the way. I've also got a portable 220V electric heater the breaks the chill pretty good, no fumes so it make for comfortable working during the cold winter weekends...

You have to understand that the 380sq ft isn't exactly open space. Ive got a 2'X 8' shelving unit that is packed with boxes of Mustang parts. I park the nose of my car under this shelf, 'cuz the '71 just fits into the garage. It's 17' deep, 22' wide on the outside. There are three steel shelving units, a 3' X 8' bench, my 40" wide tool chest, 2 hardware drawer units, a big 220V mig welder, 60gal air compressor, 6 engines and three carts stuffed into this space. At least my engine hoist is at a friend's house....

71 Mach 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page