Kinda quiet in here... - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Re reading my post I don't think I worded that too well... What I was thinking in my mind is that working out of a one car garage just flat out stinks. Even just 50 to 80 extra square feet can make a big difference. Based on the way you've described your garage, I think even though yours is larger, it doesn't sound like it lends itself to an easy working environement. A 16+ foot car in a 17' space can't be fun.

Personally I am more impressed with the guys doing nice work in tight quarters since it shows that it takes a little more ingenuity to get the job done. I'm very thankful to the guy that built my house for making the depth 25'. The width is sufficient if I didn't need to line the walls with cabinets, shelving, tool boxes, welders etc.... I'm fortunate enough to have some stuff stored in a shed, and some of the interior pieces are inside my house.

Back in the garage, I made a platform to set my compressor on the other day. It's about 10" off the floor, but I was able to tuck it up closer to the wall so it gives me about another 6" of floor space in a commonly traveled area. It helps a lot in that I'm not bumping into it all the time now. Little stuff like that goes a long way to making a one car garage a little more bearable for working on the car. We recently did some work to our kitchen, while the floor was open I ran copper pipe from the garage to the basement with the hope of moving the compressor to the basement freeing up some more space.

Currently I've got a few rafters that run the length of the garage with some leftover boards scattered about with all sorts of crap for my old El Camino stored up there. It's bigger stuff and only accessable by ladder, so I figured I'm going to build a loft with a floor so that I can move about safely to better organize for storage and possible as a light working area. There won't be more than 2 to 6 ft of head room, so we'll have to see how it plays out. I'm just trying to maximize what I have without it looking to cluttered or unsafe.

On the engine hoist, I managed to run 3 2x12s across the garage and hung a chainfall off of the beam. This is what I've been using for my roof and engine swaps, and it takes no floor space what so ever.

I hear you on the engines... one of the motivations for getting this Mustang was to get the 5.0 - T5 combo stuffed in the corner of the garage put to use.

Sometimes while in the garage I spend more time trying to figure out how I can better manage the space than actually working on the car. I find a tight / disorganized space makes it hard to get motivated.

http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/vmf/stangg_516_1_sig.jpg>'68 Highland Green fastback clone. 331 EFI, AFR heads, tube chassis, Cobra brakes, Fox rack & pinion steering,T5z, 8.8" Auburn limited slip w/ 3.27:1 rear gears, triangulated 4 link, QA1 coil overs, run once in the 1/4: 13.3 @ 107.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Beach Bum
Supporting Member

Garage
Our last house had a 2 car detatched 25x25 garage that was heated & insulated. And to think we sold that place to buy the B&B 3 1/2 years ago that we are selling now due to health issues. Wow I wish we had that house back.

Previous Mustangs,65 Fastback, 68 J code GT Coupe, 69 Coupe, & 70 Coupe.
Mike G.
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape
1999 Explorer Sport (Wife's DD)
1969 Mustang Coupe (Project)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for over 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangg
Sometimes while in the garage I spend more time trying to figure out how I can better manage the space than actually working on the car. I find a tight / disorganized space makes it hard to get motivated.
I do the same thing. I go out to work on "X" and end up cleaning and organizing the garage for a couple hours instead.

Here' a pic of the shop I used to rent with some friends. What you see is only three of the five bays we had. It was 30' deep, 50' long, plus it had another 1000' sq ft of storage area up on the main floor, plus some room in the rafters for body panels, bumpers, etc.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:44 AM

I always had this crazy idea of a big garage where I would rent space and special tools to people who needed space for their projects. When I was in the Army we had garages like that. Big open spaces that had every tool that was not "standard" in your toolbox. Plus a couple of lifts and tire machines. I think that could be a good business opportunity. How many people in the Northeast would or could use a space like that?

Jay
1966 Coupe, 289 4 spd, Ivy Green
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM

I could but i would like it close to home. It has to be a place were i can spend a few hours after work without having to drive an hour.

Thanks, Steve

67 I6 coupe to be restored

Now finally painted.... Until I sand it down and try again.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by green66
I always had this crazy idea of a big garage where I would rent space and special tools to people who needed space for their projects. When I was in the Army we had garages like that. Big open spaces that had every tool that was not "standard" in your toolbox. Plus a couple of lifts and tire machines. I think that could be a good business opportunity. How many people in the Northeast would or could use a space like that?
You probably couldn't afford the insurance cost on that kind of business. You would also havet o have all the necessary permit$ and approval$ before you could even consider opening your doors.

Another thought, the people looking for that kind of space to work on their car, aren't the kind of people you really want to rent to. Military personnel are different, as no one really has a place of their own. Most guys that are hobbyists will either have their own garage, or will rent a building with friends. What you end up with is the riff-raff that will stiff you on the rent and steal your tools. I rented a garage for 10 years with friends. When everybody started moving on, the toughest part was finding reliable, honest people to come in with us. We started with 7, went down to 5 for the longest time, then down to 3 when I finally shut it down two years ago.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:56 PM

I'm still out here too. Haven't had anything to post in quite a while, but I did actually go out to the garage today and work on the car for the first time in months. I am retiring in january and will head south for the winter. Since I will have plenty of time when I get back in the spring, I plan to paint and reassemble the car as soon as the weather permits. :thumbup:

69 Mach1 428CJ 4spd
04 Corvette Conv
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 PM

New here, but still Northeast.

Not a lot of Mustangs here in Maine, my Dad and I are hard at work on a '57 Bel Air.

Still searching for that perfect Mustang, though.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Wells, Eh?
I go by there on the way to my camp

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 PM

What I would give to have a garage!
Someday.
I go by Wells on the way to skiing in Locke Mills.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Hay a note on that army base garage. I just found out the other day that the base i work on had a garage like that. You would pay $35 to use it for a year. They closed for a number of reasons mostly becouse it had something to do with the army closing all of those kinds of facility's on all their bases. Second it sounded like some people would just leave there car in there for extended times preventing other people from using it. third nobody was cleaning up and the place was turning into a real safety hazard.

Thanks, Steve

67 I6 coupe to be restored

Now finally painted.... Until I sand it down and try again.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Closing all the facilities sounds like a cost saving measure. The other stuff you mentioned doesn't strike me as very Army. There isn't a dity spot anywhere on base.....ever......the freaking dumpsters are clean.

Jay
1966 Coupe, 289 4 spd, Ivy Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page