• 1 Post By --barker
  • 1 Post By BlakeTX
  • 1 Post By c6fastback
  • 2 Post By Zobry
  • 1 Post By Mustang4SF

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Newbie -- Hello!

Hi all!
I'm a first time Mustang owner based in Edmonds, Washington.
My story is this: as a teenager my wife lusted over a baby blue Mustang her neighbors owned. The neighbors were off-loading it and offered it to her right around learning-to-drive age. But her parents were not willing to splurge on an antique car. (She ended up driving a Dodge Intrepid!)
So, as a GRAND GESTURE, for Christmas I pledged to get her her dream car.
We picked up a '65, 200, 6-cylinder, cruise-o-metic coupe in Arcadian Blue. Straight body. Pretty incredible original interior. New gas lines. Engine rebuilt in the mid-90s. Original options include power steering and air conditioning unit (though no compressor, etc. present).
We're looking to turn it into an around-town daily driver, though we want to keep the original aesthetic and as much of the original parts as possible. Goals include: upgrading to disc brakes (power?), installing three-point harnesses, finding a Bluetooth radio option. We also have the immediate needs of: connecting the e-brake, eliminating water leak on passenger side (possibly windshield seal), stopping power steering fluid leak.
I would LOVE to meet up with others locally to check out your cars and discuss option for mine.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.
--barker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65 mustang as is.jpg (92.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by --barker; 02-28-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum. Keep posting progress.

Troy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

Garage
nice looking car ,The water leak if your lucky will be the windshield gasket if your not you may have a cowl leak. Good luck with the power steering leak
Sparky66 likes this.

Brad

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM

Nice looking Maybe we'll run into somewhere we're in Buckley.

The XXX in Issaquah has show & cruises every Sunday some specialty shows have already started. Great bunch of folks show up, if you can try to come out sometime.

http://triplexrootbeer.com/

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web 4.jpg (70.6 KB, 3 views)

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp

Last edited by Bob & Sue; 02-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Well, lucky me, it looks like it's the windshield gasket (tiny drop) and ALSO the cowl (big time). I had the car outside in the ran for a couple of days and there's water under the dash both on the driver's and passenger's sides. I have an original A/C unit in there, so it's a little hard to easily look under the dash, but all signs point to a rusted cowl.
What's everyone's opinions on this? If I garage the thing and take it out only in dry weather, do I care about a rusted cowl. (I think I do.) Anyone have a walk-through of replacing it? Or a good shop that can do it for not a crazy amount of money?
Thanks @2nd 66 for the tip.
2nd 66 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Garage
My cowl is wasted also , I've been putting it off to the point that I put front torque boxes in to stiffing the front of the car back up. It's going to be pretty labor intensive no matter what but .... we have plenty to read
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...pair-hack.html

Vintage Mustang Forums - Search Results for cowl replace

Brad
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Dimples

Garage
Unless you're already embarking on a full resto, my best advice is to not worry about it too much. Keep it in the garage in wet weather and keep a cowl cover in the trunk:

Mustang COWL COVER, MAGNETIC | CC900-1M | NPD

My cowl has leaked since I got the car over 20 years ago. Aside from that it's pretty solid. It's garaged, so I have regarded it as a very minor nuisance with a very major fix, therefore, ignore and enjoy.
Sparky66 likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Welcome to the PNW section of the forum .
Been a little quiet around here lately .
Leaks and the Pacific Northwest? Shocking
Bob & Sue likes this.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --barker View Post
Hi all!
I'm a first time Mustang owner based in Edmonds, Washington.
My story is this: as a teenager my wife lusted over a baby blue Mustang her neighbors owned. The neighbors were off-loading it and offered it to her right around learning-to-drive age. But her parents were not willing to splurge on an antique car. (She ended up driving a Dodge Intrepid!)
So, as a GRAND GESTURE, for Christmas I pledged to get her her dream car.
We picked up a '65, 200, 6-cylinder, cruise-o-metic coupe in Arcadian Blue. Straight body. Pretty incredible original interior. New gas lines. Engine rebuilt in the mid-90s. Original options include power steering and air conditioning unit (though no compressor, etc. present).
We're looking to turn it into an around-town daily driver, though we want to keep the original aesthetic and as much of the original parts as possible. Goals include: upgrading to disc brakes (power?), installing three-point harnesses, finding a Bluetooth radio option. We also have the immediate needs of: connecting the e-brake, eliminating water leak on passenger side (possibly windshield seal), stopping power steering fluid leak.
I would LOVE to meet up with others locally to check out your cars and discuss option for mine.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.
--barker
Welcome!
69GT350H and --barker like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Cowl covers are the greatest thing since sliced bread! Buy one, slap it on, and don't fret about it. If you end up at some point in the future, losing your mind (wink) and digging into the Mustang as a project, worry about fixing the cowl then. Once you start tearing into the car to "fix" things, you won't have a driver to enjoy any more for a very long time...then you'll end up buying another to drive while this one's out of commission and it quickly spirals out of control, downhill from there, lol.

--Bubba
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 AM

Welcome,while the ac unit does take up some room under the dash you have plenty of room to look up at the cowl as the bad sections are probably at the ends,Around the vent on the drivers side and where the heater box gets air from the cowl is the most likely spots to find big holes.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.
Leaking PS are not uncommon. Where is the leak? Are the hoses old and cracked? Or Control valve? Dan from chockostangclassicmustang.com is a good address to get the parts and his advice. I can highly recommend working with him.
Sparky66 likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by --barker View Post
Well, lucky me, it looks like it's the windshield gasket (tiny drop) and ALSO the cowl (big time). I had the car outside in the ran for a couple of days and there's water under the dash both on the driver's and passenger's sides. I have an original A/C unit in there, so it's a little hard to easily look under the dash, but all signs point to a rusted cowl.
What's everyone's opinions on this? If I garage the thing and take it out only in dry weather, do I care about a rusted cowl. (I think I do.) Anyone have a walk-through of replacing it? Or a good shop that can do it for not a crazy amount of money?
Thanks @2nd 66 for the tip.
My opinion.......... while it is true you can keep it dry as much as possible, cover the cowl as often as possible, it is still a fact that as unpleasant as it is, rust really doesn't ever sleep. Humidity and moisture and condensation in the air settles to the rust and continues albeit a lot more slowly. It is also getting your carpet wet that will eventually rust your floor pans as carpet dries much too slowly on it's own. I have a lower front fender that will need attention when I can find a good guy to do it as most body guys I ever talk to don't want to fool with it as they would rather turn out volumes of insurance repair work.

1965 Mustang GT Twilight Turquoise
289 A code Pony Interior
California built
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Welcome to VMF from Arlington, WA!

About the cowl...yikes...yes, they are extraordinarily expensive to fix. Why? There's a bajillion spot welds that must be ground off (ok, it's like 150), and the cowl itself only comes complete. As in, one piece. As in, top AND bottom. It's a royal PITA to replace if you haven't caught my drift yet. Cost me about $3k IIRC 7 years ago.

Good body guys are hard to find. I had mine done at Randy Sargent's in Snohomish.

Oh and I second Chockostang - very knowledgeable and a nice guy to boot. :-)

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page