7Likes
  • 2 Post By 69GT350H
  • 1 Post By 1ofAMillion+
  • 1 Post By Mustang4SF
  • 2 Post By rpm
  • 1 Post By rdnck1

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

desperate student looking for teacher

Is there anyone around Seattle who is skilled at working on cars, is maybe retired (or not), always needs a project to work on, enjoys teaching

I bought a 1965 coupe recently. Hood mostly restored to be daily driver. I don't know anything about cars to start and this is my first vintage car. I'm hungry to learn everything and anything about how to work on this car and keep restoring it. Looking for someone I can maybe drive to on the weekends and can learn from? Willing to drive a few hours away even. Just hungry and excited to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3580.jpeg (162.7 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Just my .02, but I would buy the Shop Manual and Osborn Assembly Manuals.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...nt=1&year=1965

These will be invaluable resources as you learn to work on your car.

You may also want to look into joining a local Mustang club to get connected and expand your knowledge.

These items, along with the vast resources and knowledgeable members of VMF should cover most of the bases.

Last edited by Knapper; 10-08-2018 at 06:32 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Dimples

Garage
Mustangs Northwest | Dedicated to the Preservation, Restoration, and Enjoyment of the Ford Mustang and Mercury Cougar Automobiles

Go meet some folks in person. Show them your enthusiasm and the rest will take care of itself.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
Just my .02, but I would buy the Shop Manual and Osborn Assembly Manuals.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...nt=1&year=1965

These will be invaluable resources as you learn to work on your car.

You may also want to look into joining a local Mustang club to get connected and expand your knowledge.

These items, along with the vast resources and knowledgeable members of VMF should cover most of the bases.
Yes, I have purchased the manuals and already reached out to clubs. Forums are one of many places I'm reaching out to. Thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

What kinds of things are you looking to do to it? Is it a running project? And where in Seattle are you?

Adam

64.5 Coupe
Two-tone Windveil/Norsea Blue paint scheme
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabseattle View Post
Is there anyone around Seattle who is skilled at working on cars, is maybe retired (or not), always needs a project to work on, enjoys teaching

I bought a 1965 coupe recently. Hood mostly restored to be daily driver. I don't know anything about cars to start and this is my first vintage car. I'm hungry to learn everything and anything about how to work on this car and keep restoring it. Looking for someone I can maybe drive to on the weekends and can learn from? Willing to drive a few hours away even. Just hungry and excited to learn.
I really like your attitude. Its always nice to have someone to help you with things, teach and learn from. Hope you can find what you are looking for.
Sparky66 and Grimbrand like this.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Adam, I'm in Leschi. It's running. Was rebuilt under the hood to be a daily driver. We need to redo the weather stripping. It's got really bad condensation issues when we tried to cover it so I don't know where we need to seal it. We need to do some things to make the inside safe and dry. We have a long list of little projects. We eventually need to redo the carpet and seats. Very far down the road we need body work and painting done. Going to have the upper control arms replaced this week to try and take care of a knocking and squeaking sound. Not sure that I know enough of anything to even determine all that needs to be done. But it's a solid car. Not much rust, drives well.

Sea
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Yes, great attitude. Much better than the GoFundMe approach to restorations
Experience is the best teacher, since you have the manuals and the internet just start trying. The control arms would be a good start, its fairly straight forward, jack it up safely, nuts and bolts and a little beating to get some joints apart(plus drilling 4 holes for the Arning drop you'll want to do) and in a couple weekends you have even more experience and about $500 bucks you didnt spend.
Grimbrand likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Garage
I can feel you. Reading books and forum posts is a great starting point. I have the feeling you can build up knowledge this way. However, sometimes comments like lubricate this part or use some RTV helps a bit but for rookies the question is always HOW MUCH IS "SOME" RTV. I also watch YouTube videos in addition. After a while you get a feeling which channels are good and which are bad. Combine it with everything you learn here and in the shop manual and go make your hands dirty.

It is a great hobby and sometimes you will fail the first time, but I guess all of us did at the beginning.

Good luck
1ofAMillion+ likes this.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 PM

....ooops, forgot about the coil springs. they can be intimidating for even the experienced but not insurmountable for a rookie with some patience.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 PM
rpm

Autorestomod on YouTube has many how to videos which can help you.

RyanSterling966 and Grimbrand like this.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM
rdnck1
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Autorestomod on YouTube has many how to videos which can help you.

https://youtu.be/BZT12KmZ_VE

Love those guys and yes they do some good video's. Funny at times and they do not cover up issues they run into and explain ways around them. There are others out there as well so do your own research. Really like your attitude so I'd would suggest as others have, buy the books, join the clubs, research online, maybe offer beer or food if you get a taker for helping and teaching Good luck, Jim
Grimbrand likes this.

Do your own research, I'm just a work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page