fastback search - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

I have been looking for a fastback for some time. One thing or another happened and things just did not work out. I looked at a '65 fastback clone yesterday and the asking price was 7000. I had offered him 5000. I wanted to see if one, he would bite or not and two, I felt like the car was priced a bite too high. It needed front apron, hood, floor pans, trap door, rear seats, carpet, exhaust, pass. door, bumpers and obviously, a complete paint job would be needed. Am I off? I was just offered a rust free '65 fastback GT from Cali. needing paint and tranny that had a matching numbers motor for 6500. When I told him what I found on his car and what was out there, he was a little affended. He told me that he had the car looked over by a "mustang expert" that said 7000 was a fair market price. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Banned

Fastbacks are pretty hot right now. It sounds to me like the '65 GT would have been a good deal. I'm not quite sure what the other '65 is a clone of (Shelby? GT?). If, for example, it was a Shelby clone and already had a K-code engine sitting in it, it might be worth $7K. Otherwise, it sounds overpriced to me.

I love the early fastbacks too. I wanted one, but couldn't afford one at the time. So now I have two Coupes, and far more in both combined than I could have spent for a restored fastback. Oh well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

It was a Shelby clone. The car has a '70 302 with an aftermarket 4V, mid '80's T5 tranny, the hood was an original hood with a mounted scoop that was cracking, a horrible paint job originally white car that was painted blue door - jams still white, side scoop were not functional and were not attached correctly. I guess that I could go on and on but I will stop here.

I don't have a problem with paying for a sound platform, but I just could not understand how his "mustang expert" thought that it was a fair price and advised the owner not to drop his price.

I am not angry but just a little frustrated. I know what I want and it is just going to take a little more time.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:30 AM

Dan,
What happened with that clone a few months back? I thought you bought it..
blkstlln
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Scott,
We agreed to buy it for XX amount as along with he showed me the pic's of the areas with needed work and an appraisal. He never followed through on his part of the bargain. Also, I had to take my youngest to HMC ER for a closed head injury and by the time I got back and contacted him, he said that I didn't send the money within the specified time and if I wanted to still buy it, it was XX more then what I won it for. Either way, he never gave me bad feedback and it probably was not meant to be considering what happened.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your child, hope all is well now. On the clone, maybe just as well, he may have been hiding something.
Scott
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Supporting Member

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. I think he's too high also. With the amount of work you describe, $5,000 sounds prety fair. I paid around $5,000 for mine, and it had a complete interior and needed pans, cowl hatsd, and trunk metal replaced. The body was strait but still needs allot of work yet. Check out my site (such as it is), if you like http://home.earthlink.net/~rpdrnr/

Ken

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to bbenthin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to bbenthin
I'll keep my eyes out and post any finds here if folks don't mind. I don't want this to become a "for sale" section though. Perhaps I should just PM you if I see something.

Brian
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to ken_schall Send a message via Yahoo to ken_schall
I tend to agree with the rest of the guy's. $7000 is to high with the problems you've described. I would also be concerned about the cowl.... seems in most case's if the floor pans are in need of repair the cowl isn't far behind. I believe you may have been more then fair with a $5000 offer ..... You didn't mention any other "selling" point or anything special other than its a fastback? keep in mind a decent paint job w/ jambs etc could easily run you over $5000 and a grand for the floor pan install... each fix up "phase" costs approx. "X" amount of money. Wheather its paint/body work, motor/exhaust, suspension/brakes, Tires/wheels and interior. Each one of these "cost" area's you can save a "few" bucks by means of smart shopping, "do it yourself" or even the buddy factor.
But, the best most cost effective way not to bury yourself any more than you have to is to buy them "right" to begin with! That 2-3-4 grand you "over pay" in the beginning is more than all the "smart shopping" you could ever do... not to mention how many of the fix up "phase's" that money would pay for..
Ok..... I'll get off my soapbox now.... "G"

Ken
01' Jeep wrangler
13' ford Escape
12' ford F-150 fx4 Supercrew
68 GT/CS/Shelby-like....heck its a Modified Convert
68 GT/CS...Project underway!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I, too, do not want to have this section becoming a 4 sale area...We already have one. Yes, that is the car and the cowl was recently replaced thus the reason for the floor pan rust holes.

The car looked good from the pics but there is nothing like looking at one in person.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Banned

Nice, but it really should be an automatic! I wonder which 289 this guy has in it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I looked at it 2 days ago. The seller stated that he did not know much about the car. It is not a Hipo, did not know what kind of tranny it had and was difficult opening up the driver's side door. He just gave me the "if it was finished it would be selling for 30,000."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Supporting Member

Ah, the now famous Edmonds car...

Bill [ '70 B302 ][ '67 GT350 ][ '65 2+2 ][ '65 Coupe; converted to 2+2 race car ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page